5.0 out of 5 stars One Pot Emeril
Published on October 6, 2011 by wogan

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not fantastic!
For those who prefer the quality of home cooked food over the mediocre
fare available at restaurants lately, this was to be a chance to expand our
repetoire of "one pot wonders"! But, saddly, it's not measuring up to be the
fantastic cookbook we had hoped. Dont' get me wrong, it a good, basic cookbook, with good use of herbs and spices...but not full of...
Published on March 2, 2012 by JC

5.0 out of 5 stars One Pot Emeril, October 6, 2011
This review is from: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders (Paperback)
Emeril Lagasse has made the perfect cookbook for upgrading and giving an international flavor to one pot cooking. This is perfect for cooking for company that comes to stay for a while. The food is hearty, but a bit different and not that complicated. Our family has put this book right to use and the consensus is favorable, especially for butternut squash lasagna with Italian sausage and sage (perfect for using up the garden's bounty of squash), turkey club casserole, cola-braised pot roast with vegetables, and braciole - except we substituted ground beef for the bottom round and it was a success as well.

There are about 130 recipes for use with your cast iron skillets, Dutch ovens and slow cookers. The book is divided by skillets and sauté pans, casseroles and baking dishes, Dutch ovens, big pots, woks and slow cookers. These are all, with only a few exceptions main dishes. There is an index with ingredient, type of dish and recipe name included and a word or two from Emeril about each dish. There are pictures for about each 5th recipe, but the presentation and cooking methods are not that complicated.
This would be a good addition for cookbook collections and those who enjoy less complicated dishes, but with more of a more sophisticated flavor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good!, September 30, 2011
This review is from: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders (Paperback)
This book has some really great recipes, I can't wait to try some out! However, I do wish he would've included the prep time, cook time, or total time it takes to make everything... it makes it a little harder to know how much time I need to give myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pam B., November 29, 2011
This review is from: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders (Paperback)
I tried several of the receipes in this cookbook and they were easy to follow the receipe and tasted r
Great.

4.0 out of 5 stars BAM!, May 9, 2012
This review is from: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders (Paperback)
Always enjoy Emeril, whether on TV or his cookbooks. This book is really good for someone who is expecting recipes that contain exotic, gourmet ingredients. Of course, Emeril and his team have at their disposal ingredients that common cooks cannot necessarily obtain very easily. Thus, this book for me lacks relatability to the everyday cook in middle america. With that being said, I suppose for a chef to write a cookbook that is ordinary would be a letdown as we expect a celebrity chef to come up with something extraordinary. I gave this 4 stars because of the fact that many recipes contain ingredients that are hard to find, or you might have to google it to even know what it is exactly. The other reason I give it 4 stars is that if there is an exotic ingredient called for, there would be only one recipe that would use it, so you may be left with a lot of leftover of something that you had no other use for in your pantry. In conclusion though, I would say that everything in the book is no doubt flavorful and delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delectable dishes - home runs!, July 18, 2012
NewfAL (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders (Paperback)
While I've been inspired by Emeril for years, I confess I haven't used his recipes until this book (and I'm an avid cook). All dishes have been phenomenal, we're still fighting over who gets the last heavenly meatballs - WOW! The chicken braised with cabbage and apples are sweet and melt in your mouth and the linguine with artichokes, shrimp, and mascarpone was so light and fresh. My only regret is that there are never any leftovers ..... yes, the taste is that good!! THANK YOU EMERIL - delectable and impressive! I can't wait to continue to work my way through these recipes with Emeril's signature twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars a really good cookbook, January 14, 2012
This review is from: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders (Paperback)
I bought four of these books. Three were for gifts and one for myself. All the recipes seem to be pretty easy and contain ingredients most people have on hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emeril Wonders!, December 7, 2011
This review is from: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders (Paperback)
Of course Emeril's food ideas are great! This book is timely, in that many of us need to SAVE TIME in the kitchen. Tasty and creative offerings abound in this book, for beginners or experienced cooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to give up!, March 17, 2012
This review is from: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders (Paperback)
Sizzling Skillets and OPW's was a request for a birthday gift for one of my friends. Of course I had it shipped to me for inspection. I'm not kidding so many recipes were so delicious sounding and looking I had to copy a bunch of them. I asked her if I could borrow it when she has tried her favorite choices. I made the Paealla, its to die for. If I don't get this soon I will have to purchase my own. I love the one pot method of cooking, he goes into the different pans and methods, not all of them mean all day braising, there are many quick sizzle delights

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for busy cooks, November 25, 2011
M. Blank (Cedar Park, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders (Paperback)
This is a good cookbook with lots of new ideas especially for busy cooks. I hate having to use every pot/pan in the kitchen and then clean them up. These recipes are mostly easy to follow and work in large skillets and/or slow cookers. We've tried a couple of the recipes so far and both were really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars One-derful, March 22, 2013
M. Montalti (Long Island. NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders (Paperback)
I have two other Emeril Cookbooks: Farm to Fork and 20-40-60, both of which I've used often. Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders features more "comfort food" and recipes suitable for large(r) families. The book is divided into different "themes" such as Skillets. Big Pots, Woks and Slow Cookers (to name a few). While the ingredient list may be lengthy, there is a joy about "one pot."

My first creation was Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Top. I don't have a cast iron skillet (because I have a glass top stove and the manufacturer does not recommend). I used a regular Farberware pan and covered the handle with foil. My dish came out great. My shortcut was to make the biscuits from Bisquick mix, but no one complained.

The next recipe I tried was Coq au Vin Blanc. Because my family is small, I just used two breasts and about 4 thighs. Next, I don't have Dutch Oven, so I used a huge 5Q Corningware square pot/dish, which worked perfectly well. I left out the grapes and the parsnip and used carrots. My younger son, who is a very picky eater, loved this dish: "chicken in wine sauce."

Next, I thought I'd try Beef Bourguinon. Again, using the Corningware worked for me. Skipped the baucon. Used "stew beef" from the supermarket, and certainly did not use a whole bottle of pinot noir, about half, becase I have a small family. For the potatoes, I probably substituted red potatoes, and added more carrots because my son likes them. I went full-tilt and made the balsamic glazed onions; however, my family wasn't too impressed, so I think I will forgo this addition in the future.

Pasta e Fagiole, to me is a soup, so it probably should be listed in "Big Pots," but it's found in "Skillets." I skipped the pancetta (I wanted a vegetarian soup). Left out the kale as well. Soup was healthy and tastey. San Marzano tomatoes make a difference.

Next I want to try the slow cooker pulled pork.
AN UPDATE
Last month, I made the pulled pork for my son's track party. I got a text that said: "They love it." This was only the second or third time I used my slow cooker and was totally delighted with the results. I was able to have the supermarket butcher de-bone the pork butt/shoulder, (Thanks!). Followed the directions per se...doing the dry rub and wrapping it in plastic. The result was juicy, flavorful, and smelled AWESOME. The meat was incredibly tender and shredded perfectly. I believe the only fault was that the boys wanted more barbecue sauce, easily solved. I already have requests for the pulled pork for the end of the year party.

Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders
Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders by Emeril Lagasse (Paperback - September 27, 2011)
$25.99 $17.32