5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect watch for a seriously picky guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the watch, but glass is sensitive
Published on June 26, 2010 by R. Meno

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect watch for a seriously picky guy, December 26, 2009
Raggson Media "RM" (Los Angeles, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skagen Men's 809XLTTM Carbon Fiber Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
I got this watch for Christmas to my surprise because I am extremely picky about watches and generally don't wear them; but I have to say I really love this timepiece. I have always been bothered by watches that don't fit well, slide up and down my wrist, are bulky, heavy, or have extraneous features that I will never use. If you can identify with any of these complaints, then this might possibly be the perfect watch for you.
The watch is extremely lightweight, due to the simple, slim design of the face as well as the mesh band. It doesn't feel clunky or gaudy, so needless to say if you're looking to impress people with your *bling*, you should probably consider something else.
Right out of the box, all of the features are intuitive. Setting the time and date does not even require the included instructions (although you should probably read them just in case); and there are not a bunch of esoteric features crammed onto the face like a barometric pressure monitor or stock ticker. The extra features are Day, Date, and 24 hour reference...essential features without going overboard.
The band can be fit to your wrist extremely easily without removing links or requiring any specific jewelers tools. The latch mechanism is loosened and slides easily to provide a perfect fit for large or small wrists. The slim face wont catch on your shirt sleeves and the mesh band wont constantly rip out the hair on your forearm (a constant problem I have dealt with in the past).

Bottom line: This watch features classic Scandinavian design. All the essential features, stylish look and feel, and real-world functional design. Lightweight, but not cheap. Perfect for a lifelong stickler about watches. My recommendation is go check one out at a jewelry or department store, and if you love it, buy it on Amazon to get a better price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the watch, but glass is sensitive, June 26, 2010
Bought this as a wedding gift for my now husband! We both love the look of the watch. It's also very lightweight. However, less than one month after wear, we found a long crack on the glass, and my husband doesn't remember doing anything in particular to cause that. We took it to a watch repair shop, and the guy said it's a popular problem because the glass/crystal extends all the way to the edge making it more susceptible to breaking, or something like that, so just a warning! We paid $25 to repair the glass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Watch, Crystal Breaks...err...sometimes?, August 7, 2010
Just got this watch. Aesthetically it is absolutely gorgeous. Like the sporty yet elegant style. The features are great and come in handy; day of the week, day of the month, and a 24 hour dial.

The band is metal (metal mesh) so it's strong but it is also extremely comfortable. It is comfortable and unlike other metal bands in three ways: 1. It doesn't pull out your wrist hairs (assuming you have them) like other metal band watches tend to do. 2. The band never really gets cold like other metal bands when they have been sitting around for a while so it is never uncomfortable when you first put it on. 3. The band (and the face too) are very light weight, so light weight that you barely even feel the watch when it is on your wrist.

Beautiful design, useful features, comfortable and a lifetime warranty? Awesome.

EDIT: The watch crystal broke within 1 month of me buying the watch. I have no idea how it broke, it was just cracked one morning when I woke up. Now I have to pay ~$30 to Skagen and wait 4 -6 weeks for it to get fixed. I wonder if it will just break again. Probably will. Not good.

LATEST UPDATE: The crystal hasn't broken in over a year. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best designed men's watches Skagen has ever produced, April 3, 2010
I purchased this watch almost a year ago, and I still am turned on by its design every time I look at it. It looks like a much more expensive watch than the list $175. that some jewelers sell it for. And it keeps time perfectly, and is low maintenance, as with most Skagens. Among sports styled watches, it is probably one of the lightest watches on the market. The watch band is comfortable, even in hot weather. And the band doesn't loosen. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, February 21, 2010
This is my fifth Skagen watch, and now my favorite. The carbon fiber face is exotic-looking (certainly a guy thing) and the subtle gun-metal gray color has an understated elegance. The extra dials (date, day, 24-hour) are far too tiny for an old guy's eyes, but still look sharp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Design, November 30, 2011
After reading the reviews here I decided to buy this watch at a leading department store to be sure it had the full warranty. I only had it for a month but so far it is running perfectly. I have tendon damage in my left hand which makes wearing a watch very difficult. This Skagen is an amazing fit--so light weight sometimes I forget it's even on. I never thought I would be able to say that about any watch. For me to be able to wear it really says a lot about it's design.

The mesh band and the hardened crystal do not scratch or scuff as easy as many have indicated in the reviews here--perhaps the materials were upgraded. The clasp has a double closure design and is not loose or flimsy. I like being able to adjust the band myself which is a plus as weather changes. The watch is easy to set if you follow the directions and has a really great design sensibility over all.

This model does not look or feel cheap, however it doesn't have that bling--look at me I want attention--factor like some huge gleaming watches do. This design with the titanium material is more understated in that sense--it's more sleek and refined making the design itself the focal point. So, if you need the big bling this may not be for you. Also, this design works with dress or casual clothing.

Hope this helps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the watch, hate the crysal, August 4, 2010
Edward L. Lund (Kennewick, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I have had many Skagen watches, love the slimness and styling. But this watch has a design problem, after only having the watch for a month the crystal cracked all the way across with out any reason. No impact or damage just cracked! $40 plus shipping to send it to the repair facility in NV. BEWARE!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great watch poor crystal, November 17, 2010
Loved this watch, great style, weight, and versatility, BUT the crystal broke after one month, no warranty support. I searched online and this is a very common problem for this watch. Too scared to ever buy again.

2.0 out of 5 stars My absolute favorite watch. Then 2 weeks later it cracked., July 4, 2010
Michael Witt "section_10" (Pensacola, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
The watch is actually visually stunning in person and functions well. Today I looked at it (2 weeks after purchased) and it had a crack running across the glass. No watch should do that without a sever accident. Its not only the design, which has no protection from banging on the glass, but the fact it did this without impact. Purchased it from Dillards but they won't accept returns, so will have to either send back, which they may cover for free -shipping or take to local watch repair service. This should NOT have happened, they need to use harder more impact resistant/stable crystal or glass. That ruins an amazing looking watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loses time, January 23, 2012
C. Hughen (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
Bought one from Jomashop, who claims to have a 2 year warranty. The watch loses time sporadically and Jomashop won't fix it under their warranty.

I don't recommend this watch. But if you do buy it, don't get it from Jomashop as they don't stand behind their products.

Rate and Discover Movies