Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Skagen Men's 853XLSRM Skagen Denmark GMT/Alarm & Rose Gold Accents Watch
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 16, 2012
This is a great looking watch. It isn't exactly as I had expected - the dial is more like lacquered bronze than the gold tone I was expecting, and the bracelet mesh is unlike that of other Skagen watches, but overall it is a unique and elegant unit. The manual did not provide instruction on how to set the secondary hour hand (GMT time supposedly) and it was a bit troublesome finding that information on their Site (as this watch model no longer appears when searched for), so I provided the information below.

My only dislikes: I wish I could convert the Secondary Hour hand to a "Seconds" hand, or make it stop altogether (i.e. park it at the 12 position or something). The main reason is because I don't need the Secondary Hour hand, and it is a bit confusing when I glance at my watch to tell the time and I see four hands: the Hour hand, Minute hand, Secondary Hour hand, and the Alarm hand. But overall, a great watch.

A. SETTING THE TIME
1. Pull the B crown out to the fully extended position and rotate the crown.
B. SETTING THE DATE
1. Pull the B crown out to the middle position and rotate the crown clockwise.
2. Push the B crown back to its normal position. The date and time are now set.
C. SETTING THE 2nd TIME ZONE
1. Pull the B crown out to middle position push and hold down A push-button to set the hour hand.
D. SETTING THE ALARM
1. Pull the crown out to middle position and rotate crown counter clockwise.
2. Use the push-button to turn the alarm on and off, one beep means alarm is off, two beeps means it is on.
E. *SETTING THE DATE CAUTION:NEVER CORRECT DATE BETWEEN 9 PM AND 12.30 AM.
on June 30, 2012
I LOVE Skagen watches and own several of them. This is not my favorite. The dial is not anything that I would call gray. More like a bronze color as mentioned in another review. Does not look like the picture. The picture looks gray. The GMT or second time zone hand is hard to set, hard to get used to, and the markings for that hand are very small and difficult to read. The alarm is hard to set with any degree of accuracy unless you are wanting to set it exactly on the hour. The band is very stiff. Heavier than any of my other Skagens as well.
on September 16, 2012
This watch is elegant and very professional looking. It is good for both formal and casual functions. I had it as a back up watch for my Stuhrling skeletal watch. I still like my skeletal watch for everyday use.I started using this watch for its dual time functions when our daughter moved to a different time zone and on another occasion wife had to travel briefly abroad.

I read that the mesh is made of non allergic material which is a good thing for those prone to allergy from metals.Despite the mesh band the watch does not feel heavy at all.This is from a guy with less than massive arms.I was concerned about the extra control knobs. I have always felt that they were an overkill and a distraction on watches.Not so with this watch. The extra knobs are not obtrusive, thanks to the mesh bands which keeps them subdued in the background.The picture highlights the extra knobs more than when you actually wear the watch.For those who like "magnificence" of extra knobs, do not worry you will still get it but not in a loud way. The rose gold accents are more of gold tan than rose which I like too.I also like the simplicity of the hour markers.The design makes the face of the watch not appear too busy with the extra hands for the alarm and the dual time.The watch has been very accurate to the second.

The alarm is loud enough to wake you from a short nap but not annoying. I wish that the the hour markers,the hour and minute hands glow in the dark. I will recommend that to Skagen for future designs if it will not mark up the cost prohibitively high..

One problem I had was with the instruction manual which has no information on how to fully explore the functionality and capability of the watch.A reviewer here by name R.T.Oslin did a good job on how to use this watch and I strongly recommend that those interested in this watch read his review. Otherwise, I highly recommend this watch to those who like to appear professional and at other times attend informal but business meetings.The watch is well prized for the things it is capable of doing. This is my first Skagen watch so I can not vouch for its durability since I have not had it for long.I also do not know how long the battery will last.If you are into watches you will by now know that this brand has had positive reviews, that to me is very impressive for a brand that is competing with brands from manufacturers with 100 years plus history of making watches!

UPDATE:
May 21, 2014.

The wrist strap mysteriously unstrapped itself from my wrist and the glass broke after the watch fell to the ground. I wish it was made with unbreakable and scratch free material like my Skeleton Stuhrling watch which has taken more abuse. I could not get a replacement glass cover from the local watch smith, I ended up ordering another watch. I gave the broken watch to the watch smith. So keep an eye on the strap.
on December 5, 2012
I am unable to rate this item beyond its appearance as it's going to be an xmas gift and the recipient will have to tell me how and/or what he likes and/or dislikes about it.
Update: my husband LOVES this watch. It is exceedingly handsome, larger than usual watch face but smooth enough lines that it doesn't stick up and become cumbersome. Looks great dressed-up AND with jeans. Skagen makes a classy product, no question.
on May 10, 2012
Let me preface this review with the fact that this is my 3rd Skagen watch. I've come to enjoy their look, as well as their functionality (the price also helps). That said, I like this watch, a lot. Maybe not as much as my other two Skagens, but this is definitely more advanced than either of those. When I say advanced, I mean that is has an alarm built in to it, whereas my other two do not; also, this one has a dual time interface. This means that there is an extra hour hand that can slightly throw you off at first. After the slight learning curve, however, this watch is fantastic. It's also a really nice looking watch. It has enough flash to be noticed, but never really crosses the line into "bling."

Pros:
- Very nice looking watch. The oak colored face with the silver strap and gold accents work very well together.
- Dual strap is, once figured out, extremely easy and comfortable to use
- Haven't had any problems in lost time
- Alarm is loud enough to get your attention, but doesn't come off as obnoxious like others I've had
- Seems fairly durable, haven't put it through a rigorous test or anything, but why would you do that with this watch anyway?

Cons:
- Slight learning curve, at least for me, but once that's out of the way it's smooth sailing.
- Still not sure how to set the second hour hand, but I spend most of my time in only one timezone, so really not a problem

Overall, I'd say this is typical Skagen...good style, good quality, good price.
on August 5, 2013
While I wear this as my everyday watch and it seems to have good enough water-resistance for showers, kayaking, etc., it is near impossible to see the hands at night (poor illumination). Also, the dual time has never worked correctly from day-1 (out of sync). The band is a little heavier than others of this style which I really like, and the double clasp adds to the sense of security for outdoor activity. Had it not been for the poor functionality, I would have rated this watch much higher for the slim good looks which suits business or casual nicely. If everything worked as it was designed to, I'd consider the price a deal, but as it is, I'm disappointed.
on November 11, 2012
I had heard about the Skagen watches several years ago.
The husband and wife team are marvelous designers.

I wanted a watch that would be in the $100.00 range, but would
be built well, give accurate time, and be attractive. Skagen
filled that bill!
My only negative perceptions was that the hands are very narrow and
difficult to read. Lastly, the watch is fancier than I prefer, so
I bought another one that is more simple and differently colored.

Yes. I recommend a Skagen. For the money you get a lot of watch!
on November 9, 2013
After only a few wears, the glass broke and the number 8 setting fell out. After getting the glass replaced, the battery died and now doesn't work at all. A new battery wouldn't fix it.
on April 13, 2012
I received this watch yesterday and was amazed at how good it looked. It looked good on the Amazon website but the pictures didn't even do it justice. The craftsmanship and quality are outstanding. Now I am hoping the durability will match. I would recommend this item to anyone looking for a somewhat dressy, everyday watch.
on December 19, 2012
My only problem is in internet picture watch strap colour seemed to gray but when I get the product I saw watch strap colour is silver. Out of this thanks for everything. Greetings from Turkey