4.0 out of 5 stars Love the thin design
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:32 Mins
I bought my Skagen 233XLSGS in 2006. I have mixed feelings.

Published on July 20, 2008 by M. Erb

1.0 out of 5 stars watch is too delicate
purchased it for $61 in late 2007 and as the surface of the crystal is raised above the rim face it cracked upon contact with a surface. Repair is $31 plus shipping. Two months after repair the crystal, which is made of glass, and not hardened plastic developed multiple cracks and the band pin dropped off. This watch is too delicate and so is strictly for dress up.
Published on December 26, 2008 by D. Derienzis

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the thin design, July 20, 2008
Length:: 1:32 Mins

I bought my Skagen 233XLSGS in 2006. I have mixed feelings.

I dislike heavy, bulky watches. I love the thin profile of this watch. It is so light you barely realize it is on your wrist. It is very thin and generally comfortable to wear except in hot weather. In hot weather the band holds moisture next to the skin which I find a little bothersome. The two-tone face is very attractive and it is easy to read the time. I feel the price of the watch offers real value. You can pay nearly as much for a plastic cased Timex or Casio watch... a few dollars more gives you a really nicely designed Skagen. It's a lot of "bang for the buck".

Pros:
Super thin and comfortable to wear.
Elicits many compliments for its looks.
Accurate time.
Great price that offers excellent value.

Cons:
The mesh band is not so comfortable in hot weather and gets rather sweaty next to skin.
The mesh band can easily be damaged if you accidentally hit something with your arm. In my case one of the fine wires broke and now snags on clothing.
The "brushed stainless steel" casing can scuff.
The clasp on the band can lose it's tension and come open. It is possible to gently press the sides together to "bend" it slightly which fixes the problem for quite a while. When it loosens again, repeat the gentle pressure on the sides. Minor nusiance but not a deal breaker.
The calendar is quite small not easily readable for my aging eyes.
The crystal on watch has developed a scratch or crack and will eventually have to be replaced I suppose. Not sure if I'll have it fixed or just buy a new watch... an advantage to the low cost of this watch.

I do like the watch in spite of the mesh band and cracked crystal issues. In fact I just ordered another one just like this one since it would have cost nearly as much to replace the mesh band as to just buy a new watch. But if the new one doesn't hold up any better, it won't be replaced again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slick Looking Watch, October 19, 2009
This review is from: Skagen Men's 233XLSGS Slimline Mesh Watch (Watch)
I am a collector of different watches with different price points. I own cartier, rolex, invicta, patek about 60 others. Skagen is an inexpensive brand that is done with good taste. It looks like it cost way more than it does. I like all sorts of watches heavy, thin, dress and sport. This one is just a cool watch with an air or elegance and good taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, June 30, 2006
This review is from: Skagen Men's 233XLSGS Slimline Mesh Watch (Watch)
Very satisfied with this watch. Although the date is rather small, my 72-year old eyes have no problem seeing it clearly. That is, with the aid of tri-focals!

4.0 out of 5 stars First one DOA, second one very nice, October 14, 2010
This review is from: Skagen Men's 233XLSGS Slimline Mesh Watch (Watch)
Skagen watches across the board are great looking, well made watches. I have two of them, both purchased through Amazon, both prompt a lot of compliments. That being said, I did see several reviews from other on-line Skagen buyers through Amazon about receiving these watches dead on arrival. Sure enough, the first one of this model showed up DOA. I noticed the small plastic gasket that sits between the time knob and the body that prevents the watch from running was missing...might have been in the box a while like that. Amazon was fantastic about replacing the item. I downloaded the return label and repacked the item for return. Before I even dropped it off at UPS I got a notice from Amazon that the replacement was shipped and on the way. The new one showed up in a couple of days. Works like a champ, looks great...very pleased with the appearance, quality, price (compared to a lot of retailers), and, of course, Amazon's service. Bottom line, I would (will) buy another Skagen watch, would recommend the dealer, and will certainly buy it only from Amazon. Amazon's service made the difference between 3 and 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thin, elegant: you can't find this in a watch of this price, February 8, 2013
This review is from: Skagen Men's 233XLSGS Slimline Mesh Watch (Watch)
The new watch trend is big, thick and bulky in men's watches. While shopping for a new watch I saw some that could have been a wall clock. I saw a few that were thin that cost hundreds/even thousands of dollars...no way! Even the moderately-priced brand name watches like Seiko are thick and I don't like thick. This watch is sleek and elegant and comfortable and I love it. I needed something with a little gold on it since my wedding ring on the same hand is gold and this in my opinion looks really good. Some of the other reviews complain about the size of the date; it is definately tiny. With my bifocals in the right light I can make it out but I have the date in front of me in so many other places I just like to have the date on it for those rare instances that I am out and about and need to remember the date. If I turn it just right and use my bifocals I can see it. ...it's not like I use the date every day so a non-issue. The band clasp takes some practice but you will become an expert in a few days. Adjusting the length of the band requires a small scredriver or something to pry the clasp up from the band. Be careful when moving it that you find the little indentions in the band to push it back down. I did not see them in time and forced it down.....it still worked but probably not a good idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big 5 for the Watch - 3 for me.., August 20, 2011
texjohn (Texada Island, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skagen Men's 233XLSGS Slimline Mesh Watch (Watch)
Great looking watch! Really like the mesh band.
Really excellent value for the price paid.

Now for the 3 for me: When I went to adjust the band I pulled too hard and the fitting came right off the end of the band. Trying to figure out how it went back on I referenced the instruction manual -- the pictures (and text) are so small I had to get a magnifying glass to figure it out. I did! I was glad of a Review on this site that explained you need to get 2 clicks for it to be securely connected - thanks.
Once you try it a few times the band really is very easy to connect and comfortable too.

I don't like watches that you can hear the ticking in a quiet room. So I put it up to my ear and you hear virtually nothing - dead quiet. Wonderful.

I would have bought this on the .ca site, but the price was really high. No problem having it shipped to Canada ( arrived fairly quickly too). I buy from the Canadian site even if the price is a little higher (it probably needs to be just for the more expensive Canadian shipping costs). Of course (like most) I look for the Reviews first on Amazon.com -- there's more!

Bottom line: I like this watch a lot and was very happy (as usual) with my amazon purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch! Great Price!, January 9, 2011
This review is from: Skagen Men's 233XLSGS Slimline Mesh Watch (Watch)
My huband fell in love with how thin the Skagen watches are. We had been buying his at Costco, but inventory was down at Christmas and he needed one. I just thought i would check Amazon and found the exact watch I wanted at a better price. The shipping was very fast. Very Pleased!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it! its great, February 17, 2010
This review is from: Skagen Men's 233XLSGS Slimline Mesh Watch (Watch)
Have several of this brand of watch and just love them wont buy any thing else

1.0 out of 5 stars watch is too delicate, December 26, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars slim line, January 11, 2008
This review is from: Skagen Men's 233XLSGS Slimline Mesh Watch (Watch)
Skagen men's slimline mesh watch - great value for a slim light weight watch. Not that heavy bulk. Date could be larger. Dial easy to read.
Skagen is a good brand and we love the Danish connection since my husband's family comes from Denmark!

Rate and Discover Movies