5.0 out of 5 stars exceeds expectations

3.0 out of 5 stars coolcrowne
Published on March 11, 2012 by coolcrowne

5.0 out of 5 stars exceeds expectations, August 30, 2010
This review is from: Skagen Men's SK809XLTBB Titanium Black Dial Watch (Watch)
Overall, this is a rather smart looking watch. It boasts fine, subdued lines, a matte finish that is not overly garish, and the carbon fiber accent is not overstated as they so often are. The watch is very light, keeping it from doing circuits around your wrist as you move your arms about (a feature especially important to mediterranean-grade gesticulators like myself). And the band proves to be very comfortable.
The only drawbacks, if one could even label them as such, are as follows:
-the woven metal band tends to trap lint, threads, and all manner of particulate matter in a manner most difficult to remove.
-the glowing watch hands tend to be short-lived after the light fails.
And lastly:
-the watch overall is a fragile piece, given the broad, thin glass, etc...but it is not exactly a combat timepiece, so I hesitate to have even mentioned this.
All in all, its a good watch, at the right price. It exceeded my expectations for the price range, being so elegant and stylish a piece, but if you're looking for absolute perfection, durability, etc...then frankly, you should perhaps look beyond the $100-$200 range of watches.

3.0 out of 5 stars coolcrowne, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Skagen Men's SK809XLTBB Titanium Black Dial Watch (Watch)
Skagen is one of the best companies around making very sleek watches. Amazon had amazing pricing. Everything is great except the black band has started discoloring...within a few months ...I write with left hand so the watch band touches the desk everyday occassionally (mind you-just touches the desk, not scratched with pressure of course, like a "work-watch")....& the contact area of the band has already started signs of wear as if the watch is 5 yr old. Black is coming off and I can foresee it would look steel eventually making the watch look old. Wish Skagen did better electro-plating as this is not a cheap watch and a consumer would have better expecations from an expensive watch!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Sporty and Unique Watch, February 14, 2011
This review is from: Skagen Men's SK809XLTBB Titanium Black Dial Watch (Watch)
I collect watches and currently have 8 Skagen watches. For the money, I think Skagen's are worth everything you pay for - it easily looks as expensive as other watches in the $300 price range. This is my favorite Skagen so far. The watch is the most UNIQUE in my collection of 25 watches because of its carbon fiber dial. I mean, how many watches have you seen that has a carbon fiber dial? And yes, it appears to be real carbon fiber and not just an imprint/faux carbon fiber. It's definately real because when you look at it from a slanted angle, you can see the carbon fiber threads under the gloss that they put over carbon fiber (to protect the fibers from fading). So you see that 3D illusion when you tilt it back and forth. Now this is the downside - because of that 3D effect, whenever I get look at the tiny date dials - I kinda get dizzy. But other than that, it's one of the most easily readable dials deispite how small the dials are. I haven't had this watch long enough to test how accurate the time keeping is, but from my other Skagen's, they keep time REALLY WELL. One of my Skagen's is about 3 years old (still running on its original batteries), and it loses only about 1 minute every half year (I have to re-adjust the time every 6 months because of daylight savings time, so I cannot say how well it keeps time over a one year time span). And "sporty" is an understatement - it looks like it's something from the future. I also have very small wrists (~5.25 inch circumference) and with the face of the watch at 41mm, it doesn't even big on my wrists. If you're looking for that one UNIQUE watch, definatlely take a look at this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind, November 29, 2011
This review is from: Skagen Men's SK809XLTBB Titanium Black Dial Watch (Watch)
I was loathe (read lazy) to write a review but after I checked my wrist this morning
for the third time to make sure I didn't forget my watch, I had to add something. First
the context: I love watches. I love light watches even more and I usually buy the $100-$200
watches. Once in a blue moon do I make an exception and buy an Ecodrive but I digress.

Now the pros:

+ Light, light, light watch. I keep checking my wrist to make sure I haven't forgotten to wear it.
+ I was initially hesitant about the band but I hardly feel a thing - doesn't bite, doesn't itch.
+ The watch is a handsome watch for what you pay for it and then some - the layout is clean as well.
+ This is related to the watch being light-weight but a true carbon-fiber dial is nifty.

In the interest of fairness, the cons or as I like to call them nitpicks:

- Setting the day proved to be a minor challenge

That's all I could find. In conclusion, the watch is a handsome timepiece and looks classy. I paid $109
for this watch on Amazon and this is my first Skagen. Won't be my last. I highly recommend this timepiece.
I might even get another one for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Skagen Men's SK809XLTBB Titanium Black Dial Watch (Watch)
This is the perfect gift watch. My husband had another and literally wore it out. The band is very thin and the watch feels light on your wrist. It looks elegant & contemporary plus it keeps great time! What a bonus. Cooler than checking your iphone for the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything it was said to be. Very classy., September 27, 2013
This review is from: Skagen Men's SK809XLTBB Titanium Black Dial Watch (Watch)
My daughter ordered this for a gift for her new fiance. She loved it. He loved it. We have experience in our family with purchasing Skagen watches and they never disappoint. Right on time, classy look, like a high class jewelry piece for men. They last for many years too. I don't know how long...they are all working still.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Watch!, June 16, 2011
R. Mumma "RM" (Woodinville, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skagen Men's SK809XLTBB Titanium Black Dial Watch (Watch)
I've had the watch for about a week now and I've loved it since I opened the package. It is very light, thin, and comfortable. The face size is large enough to see the face & hands easily yet not too big and gawdy - I have fairly skinny wrists too. I think the carbon face back looks so sweet and you can tell it is real carbon fiber, not a fake deisgn or something. It does not interfere with seeing the display as it kind of seems in some of the pictures I've seen, it just must be the lighting or flash in the pics because it looks great up close. The band is very smooth and adjusts sizes very well and easily too. The only so-called 'drawbacks' I can see so far is the size of the numbers/text on the three smaller dials, it is very small and if you dont have good eyesight it could be hard to see. I have excellent eyesight and in low light or certain conditions like 1st thing in the morning it was a little hard to focus on - but that bad really. The other thing is that it would be nice if the glow-in-the-dark coating on the hands & number hash marks was a bit better or maybe tritium was used - but that is really no big deal either. The watch looks really sharp and the face is cool - I dont think you can go wrong with this one at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking watch, March 8, 2011
This review is from: Skagen Men's SK809XLTBB Titanium Black Dial Watch (Watch)
I love the fact that it is so lightweight, the face on this watch looks great. The band is smooth and so far I have no complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ton of compliments, June 20, 2014
This review is from: Skagen Men's SK809XLTBB Titanium Black Dial Watch (Watch)
Ever since I bought this watch i have gotten a TON of compliments! The titanium makes it super lightweight and the clasp is a cool design. It even tells time. Best purchase ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Handsome watch!, June 3, 2014
This review is from: Skagen Men's SK809XLTBB Titanium Black Dial Watch (Watch)
Skagen watches are beautifully handcrafted and unique. The mesh band is sleek and is high quality. After owning a Skagen of my own, I decided to purchase this watch for my boyfriend of 5 years on his 21st birthday. When he first saw it, he fell in love it. It is a really, really beautiful masculine watch, fantastically handcrafted. I was toying with buying the blue dial instead of the black, so I let my boyfriend choose. He chose the black -- good choice in my opinion because it goes with everything! If you're looking for a beautiful watch for your significant other, friend, father, look no further!

Rate and Discover Movies