on August 30, 2010
Overall, this is a rather smart looking watch. It boasts fine, subdued lines, a matte finish that is not overly garish, and the carbon fiber accent is not overstated as they so often are. The watch is very light, keeping it from doing circuits around your wrist as you move your arms about (a feature especially important to mediterranean-grade gesticulators like myself). And the band proves to be very comfortable.
The only drawbacks, if one could even label them as such, are as follows:
-the woven metal band tends to trap lint, threads, and all manner of particulate matter in a manner most difficult to remove.
-the glowing watch hands tend to be short-lived after the light fails.
And lastly:
-the watch overall is a fragile piece, given the broad, thin glass, etc...but it is not exactly a combat timepiece, so I hesitate to have even mentioned this.
All in all, its a good watch, at the right price. It exceeded my expectations for the price range, being so elegant and stylish a piece, but if you're looking for absolute perfection, durability, etc...then frankly, you should perhaps look beyond the $100-$200 range of watches.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 14, 2011
I collect watches and currently have 8 Skagen watches. For the money, I think Skagen's are worth everything you pay for - it easily looks as expensive as other watches in the $300 price range. This is my favorite Skagen so far. The watch is the most UNIQUE in my collection of 25 watches because of its carbon fiber dial. I mean, how many watches have you seen that has a carbon fiber dial? And yes, it appears to be real carbon fiber and not just an imprint/faux carbon fiber. It's definately real because when you look at it from a slanted angle, you can see the carbon fiber threads under the gloss that they put over carbon fiber (to protect the fibers from fading). So you see that 3D illusion when you tilt it back and forth. Now this is the downside - because of that 3D effect, whenever I get look at the tiny date dials - I kinda get dizzy. But other than that, it's one of the most easily readable dials deispite how small the dials are. I haven't had this watch long enough to test how accurate the time keeping is, but from my other Skagen's, they keep time REALLY WELL. One of my Skagen's is about 3 years old (still running on its original batteries), and it loses only about 1 minute every half year (I have to re-adjust the time every 6 months because of daylight savings time, so I cannot say how well it keeps time over a one year time span). And "sporty" is an understatement - it looks like it's something from the future. I also have very small wrists (~5.25 inch circumference) and with the face of the watch at 41mm, it doesn't even big on my wrists. If you're looking for that one UNIQUE watch, definatlely take a look at this model.
on March 11, 2012
Skagen is one of the best companies around making very sleek watches. Amazon had amazing pricing. Everything is great except the black band has started discoloring...within a few months ...I write with left hand so the watch band touches the desk everyday occassionally (mind you-just touches the desk, not scratched with pressure of course, like a "work-watch")....& the contact area of the band has already started signs of wear as if the watch is 5 yr old. Black is coming off and I can foresee it would look steel eventually making the watch look old. Wish Skagen did better electro-plating as this is not a cheap watch and a consumer would have better expecations from an expensive watch!!!!
on November 29, 2011
I was loathe (read lazy) to write a review but after I checked my wrist this morning
for the third time to make sure I didn't forget my watch, I had to add something. First
the context: I love watches. I love light watches even more and I usually buy the $100-$200
watches. Once in a blue moon do I make an exception and buy an Ecodrive but I digress.

Now the pros:

+ Light, light, light watch. I keep checking my wrist to make sure I haven't forgotten to wear it.
+ I was initially hesitant about the band but I hardly feel a thing - doesn't bite, doesn't itch.
+ The watch is a handsome watch for what you pay for it and then some - the layout is clean as well.
+ This is related to the watch being light-weight but a true carbon-fiber dial is nifty.

In the interest of fairness, the cons or as I like to call them nitpicks:

- Setting the day proved to be a minor challenge

That's all I could find. In conclusion, the watch is a handsome timepiece and looks classy. I paid $109
for this watch on Amazon and this is my first Skagen. Won't be my last. I highly recommend this timepiece.
I might even get another one for myself.
on June 16, 2011
I've had the watch for about a week now and I've loved it since I opened the package. It is very light, thin, and comfortable. The face size is large enough to see the face & hands easily yet not too big and gawdy - I have fairly skinny wrists too. I think the carbon face back looks so sweet and you can tell it is real carbon fiber, not a fake deisgn or something. It does not interfere with seeing the display as it kind of seems in some of the pictures I've seen, it just must be the lighting or flash in the pics because it looks great up close. The band is very smooth and adjusts sizes very well and easily too. The only so-called 'drawbacks' I can see so far is the size of the numbers/text on the three smaller dials, it is very small and if you dont have good eyesight it could be hard to see. I have excellent eyesight and in low light or certain conditions like 1st thing in the morning it was a little hard to focus on - but that bad really. The other thing is that it would be nice if the glow-in-the-dark coating on the hands & number hash marks was a bit better or maybe tritium was used - but that is really no big deal either. The watch looks really sharp and the face is cool - I dont think you can go wrong with this one at all.
review image review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 27, 2013
My daughter ordered this for a gift for her new fiance. She loved it. He loved it. We have experience in our family with purchasing Skagen watches and they never disappoint. Right on time, classy look, like a high class jewelry piece for men. They last for many years too. I don't know how long...they are all working still.
on January 23, 2014
This is the perfect gift watch. My husband had another and literally wore it out. The band is very thin and the watch feels light on your wrist. It looks elegant & contemporary plus it keeps great time! What a bonus. Cooler than checking your iphone for the time!
on September 2, 2013
I don't know if it was due to aggressive handling of the box or if they watch was just a bad sample from the factory. I usually check this on watches when I get them by rotating the time to 12:00. On the particular watch that I received, the hour hand was pointing to about the 2 minute position with the hour hand straight up. The 24 hour indicator was off by 2 hours. Luckily I have a tinkering mind and found out how to open the thing up and make the necessary adjustments.

Other than that mentioned above, the watch is actually a really nice one. Lots of info (date/day/24 hour). A usual gripe is the hands block some of this info sometimes. This is to be expected... It's nice and light. After a couple months of occasional wearing, i haven't had any issues with the band (yet).

Only down sides to this watch are, due to the added complications, it's not as thin as a simple skagen but it's still the thinnest watch I own. Also for right handed people (left hand wearers) the crown is a little "cornery" and it lets you know it's there. I usually like to wear my watches loose and able to move around on my wrist a little. I have to wear this watch a little high on my wrist due to the crown.
on February 17, 2013
This is the first watch that ever died on me. After replacing the battery twice, I sent it back to the warranty department "Metro". After burning $8 in return shipping, time spent for paperwork, and a bill for $8.50, the watch died again the same manner. It seemed obvious that the warranty department did not read my comments that I tried replacing the battery two times for it to stop soon after replacement. Technician did not leave any notes on what was done, and appeared that the battery was replaced. Just a lot of hassle, and recommend avoiding this brand if your time is valuable. Perhaps Skagen should consider changing the warranty service company.

Revised: Added one star. The warranty company worked on the movement instead of replacing it, but did not fix the issue. So my note was read, and I made a wrong assumption. The customer service was responsive, and sent a prepaid label.

I did not notice, thinking it is normal wear, but the black plating wore off in several places. It no longer looks good. I guess you get what you pay for.
on April 18, 2013
I got this watch about a year ago. At first I was a bit disappointed about how large it is - I was expecting something smaller, but I got used to it very quickly and now I am perfectly comfortable with it.

Evens:
+ looks elegant enough to be a dress watch
+ durable - no signs of wear after 1 year of moderate use (office work, some sports)
+ accurate - I haven't adjusted it since I've set it, and it's right on the spot

Odds:
* Never needed the 24-hour hand - useless feature to me
* Had to tighten the strap clip two times already - small pliers and a screwdriver and it's good again
* Trouble setting the date properly

The thing about the date is that the watch only shows you the day and doesn't show the month. Nevertheless, it has some month logic built in, because the day sometimes switches to 1 after 30, and sometimes after 31. It's hard to set properly without seeing the month, though, and if I consider leap years on top of that... If this was explained in the manual, would get 5 stars.