Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on January 5, 2006
January 2006 -

This watch replaced a more expensive Swatch Skin product I had worn for about 6 years. While it is physically larger and heavier than the Swatch, I actually find it just as comfortable. I have a fairly thin wrist and a lot of hair, so I am pretty sensitive to how the band works and adjusts. The Skagen band took me a minute to figure out ... but once mastered, it is very easy to adjust and to latch and is very comfortable. Stays in place, no pinching, no hair pulling.

I like the look of the watch. I don't think the watch mechanism is actually that thin, but Skagen makes it appear thin by tapering the case to the oversized face and wide band. If you like the look, it is a comfortable, durable watch, which I think looks far more expensive than it is. I also like the understated color of this particular model: I think it looks "sophisticated", though my wife thinks it is dreary. To each their own ... there are plenty of color schemes to pick from (this was on sale when I bought it).

Update June 2010 -

I noticed there still seems to be some availability for this watch, so an update 4+ years later is in order. The watch has held up very well for me and has continued to be comfortable. The band clasp has loosened a bit over time, such that it can hook on things and open up. Have replaced the battery once. But really it has held up very well, no cracked crystals or other major problems that I see in others' comments.

My one problem is that somehow about a year ago I creased the mesh band. This led to wire ends sticking out in two places. Nasty little things, drew blood at least once before I clipped them off. Even then, there were rough spots that would hook any light synthetic clothing I was wearing. I finally broke down a few weeks ago and ordered a replacement from Skagen for $25 (which includes the clasp, so in theory will fix all issues). Waiting on that.

For me this watch has been a very good value. Extremely accurate, comfortable and durable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2006
This is really a great watch. It has a thin profile, and flexible metal band that eliminates the two main problems I have with other men's watches: they're too bulky, and the chain catches on my wrist.

I have gotten numerous comments on my watch after wearing it around for a while, and it really does look great. Comparably inexpensive , so I'd recommend it highly.

It should be noted that this a quartz watch, so there are no fine swiss mechanics going on inside, but if you care about style and budget then this is a good watch for you.
on March 28, 2008
I bought this watch for my boyfriend, he loves it. The watch goes with everything, casual and dressy. The watch is very simple and understated. The watch is great for guys who typically do not wear watches. I say that because it is thin and light. We both love the band it makes it very comfortable to wear and easy to adjust. This is the only affordable watch I could find that was titanium. Titanium is awesome because it holds up well, is strong, light, and maintains a great look. The watch looks amazing. I orginally bought this watch at a department store and then I found it on Amazon pretty much for half price. I ended up saving 70 dollars so that was great. My boyfriend loves his watch and he feels like he was spoiled but really I just got a great bargain. Skagen is also a great company. I view Skagen as the most affordable brand for what you get. You can always find a good watch from them but for a fair price as well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2007
This watch is quite nice and makes a fashion statement on any arm. However, the band leaves a little bit to be desired. While it is an attractive band, it is not as functional as expected. It does not wrap around the arm securely without turning a bit sideways and showing a bit of the end of the band. While this is not a severe problem, it is not 100% acceptable.
on May 2, 2007
This is a very classy watch. Thin and streamlined it cuts a nice line. The crystal fits the body flush which makes for a clean line but because it is flat it reflects any light making the time hard to read and distracting. There is no backlight so this watch is very hard to read at night but it looks so good you don't mind.

All in all it is a great watch, very sleek, quiet and the band is very nice. Highly recommend it.
on January 1, 2012
Just got mine a couple of days ago. Excellent watch, exquisite design, light and comfortable on my wrist. Ordered at Can't beat their $61 price. The black mesh band version of exactly the same watch is $130 on amazon, so if you're into black, the color itself will cost you almost $70.

This watch actually has not one but two locking elements, two locks, in fact, so it's extremely difficult to lose it if both locks are properly closed. Reviewers who complain about the clasp being undone and potentially losing the watch need to take a closer look at the tiny metal rod that the first latch hooks on. After you hook the double hinge part onto the rod, press on the first buckle until you hear a click. Then pull over the second, smaller buckle over the first buckle and press on it until you hear it click, too. If your second buckle is locked onto the mesh band when the band is open, you won't be able to lock the watch properly (that's why some people lost their watches). First, unlock the first buckle, and then proceed as indicated.
on June 26, 2006
I bought this watch because I liked the mesh band, the thin face, and the overall sleek look. When I got it, I was very happy at first, but after wearing it around for about 2 weeks, the face cracked. I called Skagen's customer service, and they told me that this was a common problem with this watch, and that if I sent it in, they would replce it with a stronger crystal, for free. (Of course I had to pay shipping and handling both ways, which came to about $20 total). So I sent it in and got it back good as new about a month later, which was fine. But then 10 days later, it cracked again!!! I assure you that I wasn't wearing the watch while playing sports or doing anything that would cause it to crack. I looked at my watch, went into Banana Republic to buy a shirt and then looked again and it was cracked. Stay away from this watch.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2009
I like the thinness of the watch. It is lightweight. I find it stylish. It keeps time well.

However, as several others have reported, my crystal broke ... for no apparent reason. I was sitting watching TV, checked the time. Checked again about 30 minutes later and the crystal was cracked. Didn't even hit it on anything.

Other minor nit, the knob to change the time is very small and slick. Difficult to get a grip on it. Can be a problem if you need to correct the date.
on May 5, 2011
I am not a fan of those large oversize watches that seem so popular today. I like this Skagen (model 233XLTTM) because is thin and the face is large enough to read easily. This is my second Skagen. I have and identical version that is about 6 years old. I love the metal mesh band although I had to replace it twice on my pervious watch. But the band is readily available from Skagen customer service via mail order for a reasonable price (<$20).
I am rough on watches and the previous one still works. I scratched the crystal badly over the years and it turns out that this great Amazon price convinced me to buy a new watch rather than get the crystal replaced.
on September 6, 2013
I admire this watch so much that I felt compelled to write a review (my first on Amazon). That is how much I love this watch. Nice and lightweight. Classy and understated, not overly bold like some behemoths out there nowadays. You exude a quiet confidence when wearing it, and the best part is you don't looked weighed down by it.

I'm not a watch aficionado nor have I done extensive research and wear testing, but I imagine that unless you shell out bank for what I consider upper tier watches (Tag, Breitling, Omega, etc), then those gigantic watches are going to be heavy. I wanted something affordable and Skagen brand came highly recommended from a coworker. I'm glad I went with it. The clasp is kind of annoying to operate, but not enough to dock it a star. It is annoying because (for me) I have to brace the watch against my body, and I run the risk of dropping it so I have to be cognizant to do it over a soft(er) surface. It behaves much like a leather band, but requires more finesse because there aren't any holes to catch. The watch however, stays secure, does not rub against my wrist, and it has no sharp edges. I've been wearing it for only two days now, so I don't know how well it'll keep time.

When I received it, the watch was already active. I don't know if that is typical of brand new Skagen watches. It still had the plastic static-cling surface guard though, and the crystal and rear case weren't scratched, which leads me to believe that this watch is brand new.