Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on June 7, 2009
I am an MBT user and was really hoping that the Skechers Shape Ups would work because I like the appearance and price of the Skechers. I am a dancer and doc so I am very aware of how shoes are made and whether they can help or cause health problems.

However, while they may look similar on the outside (ie. chunky sole), this Skechers model is functionally very different that MBTs: when I wear the Skechers, the way the soft sole is constructed just makes my feet/ankle role inward (very bad if you have normal or flat feet). Also the Skechers bottom isn't as squishy/angled as MBT's so it doesn't have the MBT wobbly effect that forces my thighs/butt to tense up to "work out" while standing or walking.

In summary, the Skechers Shape Ups feels just like a regular sneaker with an extra-large cushioned sole, and doesn't have have the right amount/location of instabilty to match the effects of MBT. If you have very forgiving feet and just want a cute walking shoe, this might be right for you. But it definitely isn't going to give you the type of "workout" that MBT's do, and it can cause injuries in anyone with feet or knee problems.

(BTW: If you've never used MBT before, imagine yourself trying to balance on one leg while standing on a soft couch or mattress -- all sorts of muscles have to spring into action. A major difference with MBT's is despite the intentional instability effect that it is trying to create, my flat feet feel very well supported and doesn't cause my arches/ankles from sinking like with the Skechers.

There are lots of MBT styles online that aren't sold in stores. For example, if you search for the "MBT Lami" it looks very similar to this Skecher shoe. Check out zappos dot com or swissmasaius dot com for all the options.
5454 comments|434 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2009
Before purchasing the Mary Jane styled Skechers I read the comments of other buyers. I know that some people really raved about the MBT shoes, but I also read on their comments that they were having to pay $50 to resole their MBT shoes because the soles wear out so easily. I don't know about you, but anything close to $100 for shoes is an expense for me. I most certainly don't want to spend $100 or more on a pair of shoes and then have to pay an additional $50 to have them resoled! If I spend that kind of money on shoes, they either need to last me or I won't be buying them, again!
When I first started wearing the Skechers, they do take some getting used to. If you have wide feet, you really need to buy the next size up in these shoes. I purchased these shoes for myself as a birthday present to wear in my Walking Fitness Lab at college. The only mistake that I made was the mistake of wearing them to class the first day and walking about 45 minutes in them. Walk in them around the house until you get used to them and feel comfortable in them. THEY WILL WORK OUT YOUR CALF MUSCLES, ESPECIALLY!!! So, I would not do like I did and wear them 45 minutes straight. Wear them at 20-25 minute intervals to break you and your muscles into them.
Now that I have gotten used to the Skechers, I absolutely love them! They are so shock absorbant and comfortable! I just graduated Nursing School and I intend to wear them to work when I land my first nursing job. An added little bonus is the fact that they are thick soled and give you more height. Unless you are really tall, everyone can appreciate that! =)
33 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2009
I absolutely LOVE my new Skecher's Shape Up lace up sneaker. I saw them on display and just had to check them out wondering if they would help with my chronic lower back, leg and foot pain. At 56 I suffer from sever progressive osteoarthritis. This bone disease has created a wider and sore foot so that finding a shoe to fit and be comfortable a major event. The Shape-Up shoes fit nicely due to a good design and amazing inner padding. As soon as you put them on, you will see that they makes standing and walking seem like you are on marshmellow and gliding along. They actually make me feel like I am able to move like I did when I was 20 years younger. I even caught myself wondering if I can still skip again? The thick, cushy, roll fashion sole, is the genius behind this great shoe. Let me tell you. Exercise never felt so good. My Rheumatologist told me, keeping active and doing gentle exercise is essential to keeping my joints and muscles healthy. I can see that these shoes are going to be crucial part in my exercise regime. For all the money I have spent on pain relief medications, muscle pain rubs, supplements and gadgets; this is one of the few things that actually works. They are worth every penny I spent on them. Until now I have found it very difficult to walk or stand on my feet for very long. This has created a lack of activity on my part and increased weight-gain, which only makes matters worse. IN chronic pain I was missing out on a lot, not doing necessary tasks or doing fun things. Now I feel like I have tapped into a new line of energy and pain releif. These shoes not only help my over all posture, but put less stress and strain on my joints. Today I was able to get my whole house clean with out the pain, stiffness, and fatigue I would normally experience. After a long, busy, good day of work, I am not in agonizing pain, or dead tired. My husband said they are a bit bulky, but who cares with these kind of benefits. If they help tone and strengthen my legs, glutes, and core muscles, that will be an added plus. I never expected the features I have found in these cute, chunky, little sneakers. Thank you so much Skechers!
on July 6, 2009
This shoe is super comfy and seems to be giving my legs a workout. While I can't really see any results yet (I've had for less than a month), I can feel my legs working out. Feels like walking on air. I like the mary jane style...pretty cute and very easy to put on and take off. While they may be a little weird looking because of the semi-circular bottom, you hardly notice it and it also makes you taller :). If I order another pair though, I might go up 1/2 size. Only drawback is they seem to be just a little small (and I have narrow feet). Overall glad I purchased.
0Comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2009
I was intrigued by the ads I'd seen for the Shape Ups. I'm a librarian and spend most of the day on my feet. Sneakers aren't considered appropriate footwear (except on casual Fridays) so I ordered the stone-colored, Mary Jane-style. I've gotten many compliments on my new cute shoes. But the best part is that they are so comfortable. They feel as comfortable as expensive running shoes, they're very cushiony, almost bouncy feeling. There is plenty of room for your toes and these shoes have good arch supports. I haven't worn them enough yet to notice any improvement in my legs and tush (I'm still hoping the claims are true) but they truly do improve your posture. It's easy to stand very straight and tall in my Skechers. I feel like I'm being nice and kind to my feet after a day in the Shape Ups. I will probably buy another pair.
on June 29, 2009
These shoes are not only cute and comfortable but functional too!! They really live up to their claim of working different muscles! I love mine and would buy them again. I recomended them to all my friends!!
on September 19, 2009
I love them. They are very comfortable, & I feel my legs getting firmer. I like the Mary Jane look better than the other ones. Yes I would recommend them to my friends.
on December 3, 2009
The shoes is a great product to have. Of all the shoes I had bought in the past, the shape ups are the best I ever had. It gives you a good work out and you can feel it in your legs. I use to be in pain from walking, so I have to park my car closer to the entrance. But now I can park farther and walk better. It is great on my back and it makes it better to stretch out your legs. I plan on buying 2 pairs of shape ups shoes.
on January 23, 2010
I am on my feet 8+ hours a day 4 days a week. I have been wearing Shape-Ups for a month, and have lost 5 lbs. I am not sure what that last reviewer is talking about (maybe she works for MBT's?) but the places I have noticed the most benefit are :my inner thighs, calves, buttock, and abs. All KEY areas to looking good. I am really kind of in shock at how well they work. I know I am on my feet more than the average person, so maybe that is why I've had so much benefit, but if you are a waiter, nurse, hair stylist, house cleaner, etc (any job where you are on your feet most of the day) GET A PAIR OF THESE SHOES! Seriously, 5 lbs in a month, tighter thighs, butt, calves and abs (noticeably so!) have made me a believer. I was skeptical at first, but I am a believer now. And they are so comfortable, to boot! ( I am not an employee of Skechers, and have nothing to gain from this review, it is simply the truth)
on February 19, 2010
Ever since I recovered from chemotherapy I've had pain in my feet from neuropathy. For the first time ever, as a result of wearing these shoes, there is no pain in my feet. The soles are very cushiony - feels like what you think walking on the moon might feel like...the shoes are not lightweight but not so heavy as to be an issue. I chose this style because i wanted to wear them to work - they're funky looking but not too far off the charts. As for the "shape up" aspect.. i don't see that part of it at all but that's not what i was going for. I was going for something with a lot of cushion for my painful feet. I can't believe the relief! Worth every penny !

See 1 answered question