Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on August 13, 2009
I cannot say enough. I have bone spurs and plantar fasciitis, so my feet hurt all day, every day, no matter what I'm doing. I am a public school teacher and ordered these immediately when I got a Summer School job and discovered I'd have to be taking my second graders on three field trips to the zoo, museums, etc, in a period of three weeks. This is New York City, so we had to tromp around the subway to get to our destinations, and then walk around the entire day. In order words, there was no place to sit down for the entirety of the trips. I was terrified I wouldn't even be able to make it and would have to quit the job altogether. The sole on these shoes looked so supportive that I ordered them and cannot adequately express my shock and gratitude for how they eliminated any hint of foot pain. I walked around like a person whose feet don't hurt, which is something that hasn't happened to me in years. I've already ordered the "Skechers Shape Ups for Work". Seriously, if your feet hurt, buy these shoes. You need them.
-Jen
1010 comments|231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2009
I have worn the MBT shoes for a few years now - but never out in public, other than walking in the neighborhood. Why? Well, just look at them. The Skecher's version are much "cuter". I wore them with shorts over the summer, and received compliments simply on their looks! I find them to be just as effective as the MBT's - perhaps more so, because I am willing to wear them more frequently. The difference between the two seems to be that on the MBT the "squishy" material is only under the heel, while on the Shape-ups it is under most of the foot. I notice my calves and upper legs getting a workout from the Shape-ups and my posture is greatly improved when I wear them - which means less back pain. Also, I noticed that the pain I usually feel in my heels at the end of the day doesn't exist on the days I wear my Shape-ups! If you're "thinking about it" DO IT!
11 comment|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2009
I've always had really high arches, and never the right shoes, so my feet have always hurt. Then, in May, I got ankle surgery to repair torn cartilage, and there was some nerve damage, so I've been in A LOT of pain.
Physical therapy was helping but when I went back to work (on my feet) I started reverting to my pre-PT state.
When I saw the TV add for these it caught my attention, so I read a bunch of reviews, all saying how wonderful they are. I had to see for myself.
I went to a bunch of shoe stores in my area looking, and couldn't find them anywhere...but I kept searching. I finally found a Sketchers outlet about an hour from home and called them up, they just got them in for the first time that day! I headed out, and limped (cane in hand) around the outlet mall trying to find the store; by the time I got there I thought my leg was going to fall off. They pulled my size out of the shipment box, they hadn't even made it to the shelf yet. I, surprised at how small and cute they looked compared to the pics I'd seen online, popped them on and went into shock. I put my cane down and walked across the store - no problem. I even bounced a little. I walked back to my car with them on - no cane! I'm in heaven, the reduction of impact when you step is mind blowing. I can not believe how good they feel. Totally worth the $110 I spent.
55 comments|160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2009
I tried on my actual size, and one half size up, and my normal size felt very snug so I bought one-half size larger. I have to tie the shoes tightly so that my heel doesn't slip upward in the back. It's tough to buy shoes online, but if you are, I would recommend buying them directly from Amazon and buying them in your normal size. Amazon is very good about accepting unused items for return. In the unfortunate event that you need to return them, you won't have a problem if you do it this way.

Now back to the shoes...the ones I bought took a little bit of getting used to because of the angle of the heel in the back. This angle encourages a way of walking that requires more effort, thereby providing more of a workout. The video that comes with the shoes provides instructions on how to get the best workout while simply wearing and walking in the shoes.

When I take the shoes off I feel like I have had somewhat of a workout. Another way of describing it (when you take them off) is that feeling you get when you take off a pair of high heels. I haven't had these shoes long enough to verify whether I will "shape up" or lose weight, but I can say without a doubt that I am encouraged to walk more often and longer because of the inspiration that the shoes provide.

If I do NOT receive the expected benefits from the shoes, I will come back within a couple months to modify my review. At this point though, I don't think that will be necessary.

Follow-up, 12/22/2009: I like the shoes and wear them as much as reasonably possible, but I have not lost any weight. Don't expect miracles. Although, when I wear them it's as if I'm walking up a slight incline, and that does provide more effort and more work for the muscles. I also notice that my posture improves when I am wearing them. I still feel somewhat unsteady on my feet standing still. Will update as things progress.

Update, 4/4/2010: I was not able to wear these shoes much through the winter because we had a lot of messy weather and I was concerned about losing my balance in snow or ice, so it's like I'm starting over again. I've been wearing them fairly regularly and my opinion is that they are not as comfortable as my "regular" athletic shoes. While I do feel like my muscles work harder while wearing the Shape Ups, I believe that I am inclined to walk LESS far while wearing them than if I were to wear my regular walking shoes. I still like the shoes, because on my 10-block jaunt from my car to the office they help me to get the most out of my rushed morning commute.

Update, 4/10/2010: Okay, within only a few short days I can now say that I wear my Shape Ups without effort. They feel more natural and I love the feeling that I am getting more of a workout from wearing these instead of my regular shoes! I'm sold! (But still, keep in mind, there are no miracles! Fitness and weight loss require more than purchasing a pair of shoes.)
22 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2009
I purchased this product with the hope that it would help my knees as I do a lot of walking and standing at work., and this product rocks!! My back feels better and my knees and feet no longer hurt when I get home after a 12hr shift. I would recommend this product for those who need a softer sole, I can not attest to the weight loss or toning as I have not noticed any benefit from this aspect of the shoe. I do know that I will continue to use these sneakers at work and other co-workers have also purchased these shoes for the benefit to their knees and feet.
on October 14, 2015
GRANTED, I ordered these shoes in February 2015. I wear them for "dress-up" since I have other Skechers I use in the yard, etc. I decided about a month ago I would put some special inserts in the shoes since I do have feet problems. When I took the insoles out of each shoe, I discovered there is mold growing in the right shoe!! The left shoe appears to be fine. I did not take the insoles out to inspect the shoes since I have never had this problem before now. I would not have noticed the problem had I not decided to put better insoles in the shoes. I am very dissatisfied with this situation and I realize I cannot return the shoes, but neither can I wear them with MOLD GROWING ON THE INSIDE!!!
review image review image review image review image
on August 24, 2009
I bought these shoes with the hope that they would provide me a little more oomph to my walk to work - they work as promised. Really work the backs of your legs and butt. Give them some time when you first wear them to get used to them. I do walk 'taller' in them...because they do correct your posture.
on May 24, 2011
I'm a nurse in a busy department, on my feet at least 12 hours straight at work, on concrete floors. I've bought big-name nursing/medical shoes that cost more than these and had to take them off after an hour or two. Clogs never fit right. Athletic shoes were usually ok for the first 5-6 hours, but after that they were killing me. I saw these in a store just over 2 years ago and thought a sole that thick had to be packing some serious padding. The price seemed steep for Spice Girl-looking tennis shoes, at just over $100 (they were still pretty new and I didn't know they were supposed to magically lift your butt and ban your cellulite.) Still, I'd paid more for work shoes that got donated to Goodwill after two hours of wear. They fit sitting down and the store was packed, so I bought them without a test drive and held on to the receipt. When I first put them on at home, I felt like I was going to topple over or fall backwards; it was like learning how to walk all over again. They felt awkward the first couple days, and my knees and ankles ached a little at first--probably from the initial extra effort of balancing on an unfamiliar surface. I thought I might have made a mistake and wasted my money. But after three shifts in them, they felt completely natural and I didn't have to think about how to walk in them. I also had absolutely no pain in my feet. None. For the first time ever. Once they were broken in, they were the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn--all because of that crazy-looking sole. When the balls of my feet start to get tired, I just rock back onto the heel, completely taking my weight off the ball of my foot (and getting a bonus calf-stretch). The back of the shoe keeps you balanced, so you can stay that way for as long as you have time to stand in one spot. Vice versa if my heels are sore, I roll forward toward the front of the shoe and give my heels a break--without ever having to sit down. Alternating back and forth like that rests your feet while you're still on them. Who knew? Now that Amazon has them a little cheaper, I'm ordering a second pair in all black--which is what I would have gotten the first time, but these were the only black ones in the store.

BOTTOM LINE: If you're buying these expecting a new butt in a box, save some money and just get a reality check instead. If a shoe could give you a great figure, we'd all own those shoes and a perfect bod. If you're looking for something that lets you stay on your feet without killing your feet--this is the only thing I've found. I've worn mine 12+ hours a night, non-stop, 3-4 nights a week at work--plus 30-45 minutes a day on the treadmill, and they still look almost new after 2+ years (with reasonable care). If you're willing to feel wobbly and weird for a couple days and adjust to them, they're worth every penny in comfort and durability. I give 4 instead of 5 stars only because I think they're overpriced based on their claim to help shed pounds, knowing people will pay anything for the promise of weight loss.
on August 30, 2009
I have bad ankles, I have a steel plate and pins so I bought these shoes not for the physical fitness aspect but for the awesome cusion they provide. If you have bad knees or ankles these are definitely worth the 100 or so dollars you spend on them. I love them
on October 6, 2010
I have to say that I didn't really believe the hype, thought they looked bizarre, and probably would never have spent the money myself for them - but still...I did wonder. Fiancee overheard me say something about them and ta-da!- he bought me a pair. I have narrow feet, high arches, am prone to corns, and have difficulty with most types of shoes. I'm nowhere near as toned as I was as a younger woman (now 40), so I put them on. I about broke my neck the first few days I tried them. I naturally stand back on my heels and wear the lowest of the lowest flats normally (Chinese Mesh Slippers are my favorites). I would initially just walk from my car to class and back, a walk with some shifting terrain, trying to get used to them because they WERE kinda pricey. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Apparently my posture was so bad that the first two days of wear, my lower back actually hurt. But I noted that my feet did not - AT ALL. That in and of itself blew my mind, because it takes next to no effort to make my feet ache - and much more so all day standing doing anything. The back pain faded as I adjusted to standing straighter and paying attention to each step I was taking. That sounds more cumbersome than it is - you ARE wearing them to help with SOMETHING, no? As time has passed, the attention required significantly decreases and it becomes "how you walk".

About a week ago, I had to make an unexpected 2-hour walk in them. This walk was downhill one-way, and uphill back. I kid you not, I thought my heart was going to burst from my chest. My legs were wobbly on the 2nd part of the journey - but not from pain. They were simply tired and not used of such an effort. I did have to stop a couple of times to let them recover. I noted, even then though that my feet didn't hurt. I then sat in a class for an 1 1/2 hours, and had to walk another half mile (mostly flat terrain) to my car. I was able to do that without croaking (obviously), and while tired, I didn't need to stop for that jaunt at all. I was terrified of how I was going to feel the next morning though.

This deserves all caps: IN THE MORNING, MY LEGS AND BUTT SIMPLY FELT LIKE THEY HAD HAD A GOOD WORKOUT, AND MY FEET DIDN'T HURT AT ALL. That incident has inspired me to walk more and further than I would have ever attempted in any other shoe. When the price of walking for health and fitness is severely aching feet and the reward is minimal muscle development, it just doesn't sound appealing in the least.

I have now been wearing these daily for about 4 weeks. As a woman with a life-long problem developing calf muscles, nevermind being very undertoned anyway, I can say that I'm SHOCKED that my legs are looking as good as they are. I am completely sold on these shoes, and recommend them very highly.