Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Skellig: The Owl Man [Blu-ray]
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on August 18, 2010
I ended up watching this twice in one day. It was THAT good. Anyone who knows Tim Roth's work knows, he doesn't choose bad roles to play. This is no different. He was so good in a role of a lone man living (or dying) in a shed and somewhere deep down, the aid he is given by the boy is necessary if not wanted.
Foreshadowing in the movie may be missed the first viewing so I highly recommend watching more than once. It was more enjoyable the second viewing.
The reviews/description of the movie tells all that needs to be known other than my recommendation.
5 stars!
on January 16, 2011
A gem.. a perfect gem..a fantastical tale told with such restraint it reminds us that mystery and magic are everywhere within and around us. Amazing photography..perfectly and subtly cast..wonderfully costumed..defintely one for the permamnent family library..definitely one to watch over and over and over ..a masterpiece of spiritual art.. a master piece of visual art..a masterpiece of story telling.. a masterpiece of cinematic art.
on November 10, 2012
My action adventure seeking, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings loving 8 year old walked out on this film tonight as we watched during the scene where the father burns down the shed while his son is inside rescuing Skelling. He said he didn't like it and wanted to go to sleep. He just stopped crying from nightmares calling for us and screaming he was scared. The editorial and most other reviews make this film sound benign. It is not. It is beautifully acted and fit for an adult audience. I would strongly encourage you to pass this one by for the under age crowd. at least watch it in advance. My husband relied solely on the reviews as a family film. Huge mistake.
55 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2010
I rented this movie from Netflix and ended up watching it twice in one weekend. This has everything anyone could possibly want: a good story, great acting, and creativity. The story was beautifully told. It pulled you in and took you on a heartfelt journey blending a families trials with the magical restoration of the fantastic being, Skelling. Tim Roth is truly captivating in his role as Skelling. He fully embodied the character. By the end of the story you believed in the owl man.

I would recommend this movie as a must watch to anyone looking for a good quality movie. That being said, I do not want to pay $22 for a DVD, especially when the Blu-ray is only $23. I want this movie, but I will wait for the price to drop a little.
on November 29, 2012
This is a truly weird movie that makes no pretense at being otherwise. Its full meaning is so subtle, I'm not sure I completely grasped it. As an overview, "Skellig" is a beautiful, touching and fascinating movie, even if some of the pieces never seem to gel. For example, what's with all those insects, not only serving as Skellig's food, but making an appearance in the boy's school? And in the long run, who the heck is Skellig, anyway?

I bought this because I'm a fan of John Simm, and although he's something of a background character, he delivers sympathetically and emotionally as always. Tim Roth, a fabulous actor, is predictably believable and great.

Ultimately, this is an uplifting story, although it's a bit uncomfortable getting there. While I wouldn't put it at the top of my favorites list, it's worth a watch, if for nothing more than the good intentions it ultimately delivers.
on January 1, 2011
I love to watch movies with the grandkids (7 and 10). Of course, Disney is the favorite but we will watch almost anything that has magical creatures, mythology, or a kid as the main character. We loved "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", "The Guardian Owls of Ga'hole" and all of the "Pirates of the Caribbean," as a point of reference. I thought this movie sounded interesting since it was different and has a good theme (don't judge by appearance; go out of your way to help others). It was just too bizarre for us. First, the "Owl Man" had a propensity for drinking alcohol which I thought was inappropriate for (what I thought was) a movie for kids. Second, I suppose for realism, he did owl-like things such as eat rodents brought to him by another owl and roll his eyes back into his head. Finally, the "Owl Man" was too weird and scary for the 7 year old. Often, the kids will want to rewatch movies we have just seen. Neither one has asked to see this again. If it had been in the [...] bin at Walmart, okay; but, $22 is too much for this movie. NOW, if you like really unusual movies, maybe it is for YOU.
on May 23, 2013
The Owl Man is based on David Almond's award winning novel, Skellig. This novel is spectacular and the movie does well by it. Although some scenes are a bit intense, the story is beautiful and should be seen. Families will enjoy the creature and the journey Michael and Mina take along with him. Granted, the novel and movie have been more popular in England...it doesn't mean this isn't worth a view. In addition to reading the novel you should surely watch this film!
on July 26, 2013
I liked this one because it teaches us how we should not judge but be good and tolerant towards other people. We all have secrets and problems to deal with and we are not all lucky to have people who will accept us as we are without judging.
on July 9, 2013
Skellig: The Owl Man (aka Skellig)
TV Movie
102 min
Drama/Family/Fantasy
April 12, 2009
UK
Director: Annabel Jankel
Writers: David Almond - book, Irena Brignull - screenplay
Stars: Tim Roth, Kelly Macdonald, Bill Milner

This is an interesting story of a odd man that a young boy finds in the shed behind the old house his father and mother just bought. As he nurses the man back to health and gets to know him he realizes the man has special powers. He must prevent his father from destroying the shed as planned and come up with a new place for the Owl man to live. If you enjoy family movies with interesting stories and a little fantasy you will probably enjoy this movie.

Amazon Instant Video: I had difficulties with the movie stopping several times which extended the time to watch it and tested my patience to view it. I am not sure if it was technical difficulty at Amazon's end or Internet connection issues. This is one reason not to buy digital movies instead of getting them on DVD or Blu-ray.

Recommendations: The Secret Garden (1993)

CA Luster
on March 14, 2013
The Owl Man is a quite good family film -- not a typical British (or American) product. It is understated, but shows the troubled life of a young boy whose family takes a move to a dilapidated house in a new neighborhood at the same time his pregnant mother delivers a premature baby with multiple problems. If there was already a stressful change, it becomes doubly so because the parents attention is focussed almost totally on the baby to the detriment of their son who feels abandoned. Fortunately he does make some friends, one of whom is an elderly man living in a nearly destroyed shack on their property. The boy begins to provide some care for the elderly man and ultimately finds out the old man is not what he seems. Therin lies the development of the plot and the title of the movie. It is a growing up movie, but hardly in a traditional sense. While there is some language which may bother parents, it is a generational film, enjoyable by both young and their parents. I enjoyed it because it is by no means the typical growing up film, yet contains many of those elements. The characters, including the second level parts are quite well acted. However, if you aren't reasonably up on a "cockney" accent, you could lose some conversation. It is not for everybody, but overall a family film. No violence, some language. Four stars.