5.0 out of 5 stars The BIBLE of sketch book reference......
You can order this directly through the publisher!! (about 60 bucks)

Published on December 16, 2008 by Daddy B Me

1.0 out of 5 stars Examples-a-Plenty but Instruction is Sparse
The other reviews of this book appear to be describing another book altogether. This book has pages and pages of example sketches with small captions that describe conceptually what has been done. However, this book is *not* a textbook and it provides very little instruction. This book is more akin to a coffee table book of cool sketching examples.
Published on March 29, 2011 by Caz M.

1.0 out of 5 stars Examples-a-Plenty but Instruction is Sparse, March 29, 2011
Caz M. (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sketching (12th printing): Drawing Techniques for Product Designers (Hardcover)

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit lacking, but inspirational., November 26, 2009
Nathan C. England (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for inspiration, and it has bucket loads of great instruction on the techniques and rules of such things as perspective, ellipse construction etc. What it didn't have, and what disappointed me, is an almost total lack of media instruction. Almost every sketch in the book is done in marker, yet there is no info (at least none I have found, and none listed in the index for the sections I haven't read yet) on how to properly apply smooth blocks of colour, or the best way to apply pastel. There is loads of info on drawing construction. I have to agree with other reviewers on here, the grammar, spelling and layout is quite atrocious in many places. I understand that English is a second language for the people who wrote it but that is no excuse. If you can't properly speak a language, hire someone who can to fix your mistakes. The other issue I have with it is that it is a (very) thinly veiled mass-promo for Dutch designers. Many of the accompanying real product examples have, in my opinion, tenuous at best relations to the drawing subject at hand, and they are almost entirely Dutch. Even the international companies featured, such as Ford, have Dutch designers working there and featured. I personally got way more out of "Design Sketching" by Erik Olofsson and Klara Sjölén from the Umeĺ Institute of Design.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BIBLE of sketch book reference......, December 16, 2008
You can order this directly through the publisher!! (about 60 bucks)

I have been designing products for 15 years and have purchased quite a few reference books. This would be the bible of sketch-o-rama. LOTS of different techniques and excellent breakdowns of method. Worth every penny. Ir you are a product designer get one and saddle up the Cintiq for a ride!! Giddy Yup!! Hopefully Amazon will pick this up soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant long awaited and much needed, November 1, 2008
Eric the bee (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a professor in Industrial design drawing, this book is a long required book for teaching product design drawing, it has everything. I am thrilled with it and all other professors in my department are begging to borrow it from me.

Thank God for this book I have been using Powels books for years but this book includes new materials for drawing. More PLEASE!

I had to buy this book via Frame magazine.. why is amazon taking so long to have it in bountiful supply

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and inspiring, February 20, 2009
This book runs the gamut of what is possible regarding design sketching. A very informative textbook style offers vital tips and techniques for the beginning or serious designer. From analog to digital sketches to a merge of both media this book will surely impress. As this book is currently in its 5th printing and sold out everywhere you'd do well to find a copy and put your mitts on it. It does not disappoint. A job well done to the author and the many designers featured in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars designer, Illustrator, Colllege Art Instructor, January 13, 2009
Best book on the subject that I have seen in a long time...and I see quite a few. Colorful, sophisticated, cutting edge. Each section features professional sketch projects. The premise is right on that idea sketch off the wrist is still very important in the design process. Well worth the money if you can find it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just enough info, June 18, 2009
erikweste (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
I am fairly new to the product design world, compared to others anyway. I have a serious problem with trying to read a bunch of text before the A.D.D. kicks in and I miss 75% of what my eyes are skimming over. This book is excellent in that regard, by giving me just enough information to know what is going on in the samples shown and letting me comprehend them on my own terms in order to fully wrap my head around the result. A ton of samples to view and short, concise explanation make this a book I am sure to reference for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would marry this book !, September 1, 2009
As a graphic artist and budding Industrial designer this book has been a joy to have and learn from; for the last couple of months I've started my day sketching with this book and a cup of coffee,this has been marital bliss.My sketching skills have improved considerably and I've found myself repeatedly telling myself, oh so that's how this and that is done, followed by I can do it !, followed by It only took me 5 minutes !

The book itself has 2 distinct sections intertwined;a very loose lesson on the various aspects of sketching for product design, and case studies of actual product designers that incorporate some aspects of the lesson at hand.

There is ample room for improvement though, while it is chock full of great graphics, photos and sketches,I would rather have had more reference sketches maybe even a compendium of shading,shapes and lightning ,and less case studies,it also lacks on the step by step department, and yes it follows no clear path and just trows itself recklessly into the subject;this is a book best read in small doses with some markers and paper at hand.

In any case these flaws are easily overlooked by how useful and effective it is as a learning and reference tool.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sketches, Shocking Book, February 7, 2009
B. van Caspel (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
To some degree, by IDers for IDers is what you would like for a book on sketching. But IDers are not print designers.

There are spelling and grammar mistakes everywhere. The page layouts are non existent and so often the narrative of the images is confusing. Sometimes captions don't match images. Page One should be ashamed of putting this to print as it is. But the redeeming thing about it is that it's a systematic collection of sketches for industrial designers to get better at one of their core skills. Haven't found another book that has as many sketches as this one. The pictures alone make this otherwise it should be burnt to save a generation of designers from thinking that such bad bookmaking is tolerable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for I.D. Students, June 17, 2010
Jason B (Portland, ME) - See all my reviews
I first heard of this book from an Industrial design forum I often frequent. People seemed to praise it for the great content so I knew I had to check it out for myself. When I finally received the book I saw that not only were the comment I had read true but that the book went above and beyond my expectations. This book is perfect for I.D. students, professionals and even someone who is learning how to sketch. It show cases a wide range of media and styles which allowing the viewer to see how to execute different techniques in a variety of ways. I think my favorite aspect of this book is the fact that the pages are very visual rather then text heavy. The notes that are there are great because they allow you to go a little bit more in-depth on the designers process and thoughts. I keep this book right by my drafting table within arms reach because it's great for those moments when you're not quite sure how to communicate an idea properly. Since I've bought this book, it's encouraged me to draw almost everyday and I can safely say that I have certainly seen improvement.

Sketching (12th printing): Drawing Techniques for Product Designers