Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SKIL 3600-02 120-Volt Flooring Saw
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Price:$213.20+ $27.30 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 106 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is my first shot at doing a video review, so we'll see how it works out.

The video portion of the review contains the following details:
1) Setup of the Skill 3600 Flooring Saw
2) Overview of features
3) Basic operation
4) Switching between miter and ripping modes
5) Lots of free opinions :)

After using this flooring saw for a while, let me say that it is impressive for its size. As a DIY'er with limited space for tools I'm always looking for something that will fill multiple roles and this saw seems to have some promise in that area. Aside from use as a flooring saw, I'm hoping it will work in a pinch for some limited ripping as well; although it is limited by the 3/4" max thickness as well as the little 7 amp motor (both of which are fine for flooring).

So far, the function of the saw has been flawless and the only minor complaint I can even think of is the method used for changing blades (which I cover in the video).

Overall, I highly recommend this saw for either DIY'ers that don't already have a table saw + miter saw or for people who want something portable for installing floors.
2525 comments|243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2010
I recently purchased this Skil Floor saw from Amazon, which had the best price I could find. First off it sets up right out of the box. I mainly purchased it because I will be using it to install 800 square feet of laminated flooring. But in the meantime I have used it to install Armstrong ceiling paneling. I used it to cut the furring strips, and the ceiling paneling itself which is similar to any flooring. It worked like a charm. I have ripped and cut material up to 3/4 of an inch with no problems, What I like about it the most so far, is it the saw and base are light weight and easy to move around. I have the Skil set up on saw horses and a board. The Skil saw is more convenient than lugging my miter saw and stand around to different rooms. Currently I am using it to cut trim work on my screened in back porch. I am making my own screens and this saw has come in really handy for that. I recommend this Skil saw for flooring,ceiling panels, and some trim work.

Watch D. Matheny video in Amazon's reviews. He covers it all.

Pros so far:
Light weight, easy to carry
Easy to switch from ripping mode to miter cuts

Cons:
unusual blade size
on September 14, 2010
I had to install 1,300 square feet of Formica Laminate Quintessa 12mm (1/2") thick.
I started using a cordless Ryobi saw which wasn't very accurate for cutting anything! Less than a third through I came across an ad at Home depot for A Laminate Saw which I immediately purchased/ ordered because they sell it online only ($149)... it was also made for/by Ryobi which was an improvement over the Ryobi Cordless saw, but still had many shortcomings:
1- the visual saw guide for ripping is not very precise: within 1/4" give or take.
2- The fence does not align anytime you move it; and very inaccurate... one has to use a Square every time to align it properly. The fence itself is the cheapest you can get.
3- The Ends of the sliding rails are not covered and saw dust requires cleaning and oiling very often.
4- only one trigger
5- The saw blade needs replacing quite often... and home depot doesn't carry it in stock.

By the time I got halfway through ...I discovered that Lowes sells also the Laminate Saw made by/for Skil ($149) ... When I saw it and tested it at Lowes , I was amazed how much better made it was:
- Very accurate visual saw guide.
- a better fence all around, and very accurate.
- Covered rail sleeves to protect from saw.
- Double trigger: one for ripping and one the miter
- They had replacement saw blades in stock

So I bought the Skil and 2 replacement blades in case, and took back the Junky Ryobi!
Skil turned out to be more precise in every respect and has a cleaner cut... I am finished with the installation and did not need to replace the blade yet.

The only gripe is it can't cut (miter) quarter rounds because they are 1" + thick (the side that needs to be trimmed!)

(it is obvious from the way it is set up that a third Chinese party Manufacturer makes it for both Skil and Ryobi to their own specifications.)
on May 31, 2010
Much easier to do flooring with this Skill saw. Previously I had used a combination of a miter saw, a circular saw, and a table saw to install flooring. I found this saw replaced all three saws for my latest project, a small bedroom. I am a 60+ y.o. do it yourself grandma. I'm really pleased with the saw and will use it to do two more bedrooms, then who knows. It should work well for making pieces for my bee hives and for birdhouses.
on December 30, 2010
We installed solid bamboo flooring in two rooms and this saw made precision fitting a breeze. It was easy to use, and small enough to keep right in the room for cutting. Changing the saw for angle cuts or rip cuts is easy and quick. For less sawdust around, hooking a vacuum is a must. We purchased a 2.5 gallon Shop Vac locally on sale and it was perfect.

Others mentioned rapid blade wear so we purchased a second as back up but it is still in the package. The saw cut the hard bamboo like butter. Practice to get the best cutting stroke, too fast may bind the blade, too slow will over heat it leading to premature wear. Also make cuts with finished wood surfaces facing down for cleaner cuts, especially bamboo as it is stringy wood.

I build giant scale model airplanes so the saw can cut all hobby woods (balsa, spruce, lite ply, etc.,) with ease.

It was a no brainer to purchase this saw for the flooring project as well as secondary uses. We discovered the saw in Lowe's flooring department but they were out of stock and replacement time was unknown. Went to Skil's web site for demo videos then to Amazon to order. Arrived quickly and was put right to work.

Very satisfied with this product and Amazon's pricing and delivery.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using Skil products since I was a kid; I remember doing projects with my dad, where I thought when he kept saying "Skil saw" that it was a type of saw instead of a brand! After using their circular saws, jigsaws, and more recently their cordless drills (which has been an absolutely fantastic product), I was given the opportunity to give their latest flooring saw a whirl.

The product overall has a very well-made feel; more of a commerical type quality than consumer. Not much plastic - lots of metal that adds to the weight, but not to the point that it detracts from portability. I have a feeling these saws will last forever. But to be fair, another reason they may last forever is that they are really optimized for working with flooring, and not much else. Sure you can make cuts on just about anything to 3/4 of an inch, but this is not a replacement for a table saw. However, if you are doing even one large flooring product, I would give this unit a close look, because it really does tackle flooring jobs admirably.

The saw and blade look a bit "small" at a glance, but powered up it slices through anything (up to 3/4 inch that is) with ease. The RPMs are sky high (almost "Dremel-like"), which translates into smoother edges and a better cutting experience. Cross cuts are a breeze as I would have expected. But the unit really shines on rip cuts - due to the design, making a rip cut is 100% easier on the floor with this unit, instead of trying to balance lengthy stips of board on a table saw / saw horses. Also, the flexibility / adjustability of the saw will accomodate any combination of angles / board lengths / etc that you can throw at it.

In summary, if you want great floor results, consider the tools you are working with. This is a great tool, and will help you get great results with your flooring project.
VINE VOICEon May 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this saw knowing I'd likely use it more on projects at my folks' home, an old farmhouse.

My father could not WAIT to open up the box. He is incredibly picky about his tools - typically sticking with old stand bys because the new stuff simply does not last.

When we dug into the Skil Flooring Saw, we were incredibly impressed - my father more than anyone else.

This saw is much more sturdy than we'd first thought. The metal doesn't easily chip or bend like some cheaper metals do. Usually the first use shows bad scarring or deep gouges, but not with this saw. There are a few plastic pieces, but they are all tough - not thin pieces of plastic that will easily break. My father really loved the angle options - and the fact that the company offered up an extra saw blade for all the cutting.

And it really is portable! It doesn't take up a lot of space - something my father LOVES, since he has been using the larger upright saws for years. You can easily carry this to and from a site, and the cord is long enough to reach an electrical outlet. It saves an incredibly amount of time. The cord is also extra-sturdy, so you don't need to worry about it being easily cut while doing minor construction projects at home.

I will post updates the more we use the saw to let you know about wear and tear. So far, it gets a 5-star review.
on March 31, 2012
I just installed about 400 sqft of laminate in my home with this saw, and it made that job incredibly easy. Worked great on the laminate and on the quarter-round, molding, and transitions. Saw was easy to use and seems to be well built and durable. I used it outdoors and didn't use the vacuum attachment or dust bag, so I can't comment on how well those parts worked. It still made quite a mess.

Only gripe was that it was time consuming to switch from miter cuts to ripping. But I quickly got used to that and sorted out cuts to be more efficient.
on March 11, 2012
I do flooring for a living and this is the best saw I've used for laminate flooring. In my opinion it won't really do the job I want for full 3/4 hardwood but for laminate or even engineered it is a great little saw. Can't beat the price. A miter saw and a table saw will cost you at least $800 if you buy good ones for everyday use. This saw is durable, light and cuts well for what it is meant for. Would buy again.
on November 24, 2012
I am not a "handyman" guy at all. I know practically nothing about sawing precision cuts and every attempt I've made usually ends in either a disaster or very mediocre quality. Because of that, I usually shy away from any major "self-performed" renovation and hire someone who knows what they are doing.

However, I had a family member that wanted to put laminate flooring in an upstairs bedroom and asked me if I would do it. As usual, I thought there was no way I could do this and make it look good. I investigated in how this type of work is done and surprisingly, I found that many do-it-yourselfers said it was not too tough a job - if you had the correct tools. THAT is the key.

After going to all the typical places (Home Depot, Lowes, Lumber Liquidators) and asking what they recommended - this Skil saw came up again and again as being the best and most user-friendly precision saw available for non-skilled would-be weekend carpenters - like me!

I'm happy to saw this saw is great. Very easy to use, very safe to use and, though light weight, is more than tough enough to handle laminate and wood sawing. The precision cuts/angles were extremely easy to do with this saw.

It does have a dust bag, but is pretty worthless in keeping wood dust or laminate dust from spreading all over the room, so I advise you to do your cuts outside on your patio (which is what I wound up doing). Other than that, I have no complaints about this great product. The finished room looked great and I really could not have done it without this saw.

I had looked at the laminate hand operated cutters but all the people I spoke with said they were a waste of money and that I wouldn't be happy with the cuts they made - unless you were willing to put out $500 for this one particular type. I didn't have that kind of budget so I went with the Skil saw. I think all fledgling do-it-yourself types will love this saw. My wife even wants to try it because it doesn't look so intimidating to use. I highly recommend this product!