Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 16, 2008
Just received my table. It appears to be well built and I believe it will serve the purpose of my purchase. I have what I call my "portable wood working shop". I have the Ridgid portable table saw (great saw) and a portable router table. One of the main reasons for purchasing this table is to sit my Bosch router table on it. I have a garage with enough room to store all my wood working equipment but not enough room to use it in the garage.(Can't stand the dust either) When I'm ready to do wood working I move the equipment to the asphalt driveway in front of the garage. The table will be used for various projects. The table is heavy or I would give it 5 stars. Maybe more aluminum could have been used in its design. The legs are easily adjustable and very sturdy. Also a negative is the fact that the table got cheaper before it was delivered.
33 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 22, 2010
To get a common gripe out of the way; the packaging was adequate but pretty dinged up, the table was just fine. UPS pretty much cuts out at around 35lbs (16KG) yes they will accept up to 50lbs (70lbs?) but with one person on the truck these heavy packages are problematic. The heaver packages should really go UPS or FedEx freight (up to 10,000lbs).

Having got that out of the way. This is a very flexible workbench that is easy to collapse and set up. Height is up to 34" so it is just fine with my Festool MFT800 (now discontinued and on blow out) and is about .6" lower than my band saw table. If this proves a problem I can block up the legs. The leg adjustment is very easy per leg (just unclamp adjust then reclamp [clamp holes are about every 2-3" and you can't clamp in between]) and one leg has a screw type leveler. The table is heavy and very well made. The weight is an advantage unless you plan to move it round a lot. If that is the case a good set of wheels might be worth the money. (addendum, a friend took an old dolly and made a bracket to hold the folded table on edge, easy to make that kind of bracket and relatively cheap.)

I got it because of the flexibility with the insert plates and because of the split design that allows sawing or plunging a domino into a gap.

REVISION:
I down rated this because there aren't many holes in the bench top and they are ill placed. The manual says that they are specific sizes of wood, but regardless they are just plain inadequate in numbers.

The supplied switch was very stiff and the plastic broke at about the 6 or 7th use.

The adapters are ill designed. The jig saw adapter is not worth the money as there is no way to set up a fence except with Bora 540950 Clamp Edge Tool Guide, 50-Inch and I don't need a jig saw table insert to use that! Separate review under Skil 3100-09 X-Bench Jigsaw Insert Plate.

The router table is schizophrenic. It fits my ancient skill plunge router perfectly. Just screw 3 screws into the base plate. But the accompanying fence is almost well designed. e.g. you can't remove the router plate without removing the fence and that is a major pain. The miter gauge and track are sloppy with about .2" 5mm of slop. Not usable for precision woodwork. Separate review under Skil 3100-11 X-Bench Router Kit Insert Plate.
END REVISION

REVISION 1
I wound up buying an Incra LS25WFNCSYS 25-inch Range Positioner with Split Router Table Fence Super System as the fence provided was pretty useless. This is putting a $100 saddle on a $5 horse as the fence was $400. But IMHO something like it is necessary to get a really useful router table.
END REVISION

Addendum--the insert plates would be a lot more useful if they were square and could be used with different aspects, towards the short end of the table, along the length or towards the long end of the table; depending on the work piece.

Conclusion--a nice folding workbench marred by less than well thought out features. The holes for bench dogs and clamps are small,few and far between. But still a roomy and not horrid portable table and a good value. IMHO the Stanley Fatmax work bench (now discontinued) is a better buy if you don't need a lot of working room.
on January 10, 2009
Just received workbench. On first lookover it seems to be a solid work surface. Maybe a little too heavy. Legs are a small struggle to lengthen. Sliding saw channel is created by right side table sliding. The components associated with this action seem a little light duty. Overall I think this is a solid product for the price.

p.s. my bench has arrived damaged. Left table top has been smashed in several locations. Will contact Skil Monday and will update this review. Good news....Skil is shipping table top and I will replace. Good customer service.

After owning this bench for a month I would say that my experience and satisfaction with both product and Skil's customer support are very good.
Workstation is a very solid product and my customer support experience was very good as well.

Buy this workstation if you want a workbench that is portable and solid.
on January 29, 2010
My X-Bench arrived without any damage and is a very sturdy workbench. It folds up well and stores in a fairly small space. It has adjustable legs that seem well built and sets up in about a minute or less. I like the option of splitting the work surface to act as a saw channel. You can lay piece of lumber on it and carefully saw across the table keeping both ends of the lumber supported. The clamps and dogs are handy so I bought a second set. My only gripe is that the accessory table inserts (router, etc.) are way to pricey for what they are. If you need a secondary work surface with clamping ability, this is a great COOL tool.
on February 6, 2009
This is a darned stout portable work bench at a good price. I was surprised at how much I like it. It is heavy but anything lighter would be flimsy. My only criticism is that the top is MDF which makes pretty fragile on the corners and edges. In fact my first one arrived with a damaged corner from shipping (point made) but with Amazon's return policy, they shipped a replacement and took back the first entirely at their expense.
on August 31, 2009
I don't have much free space in my garage. I needed a place to do small fix-it jobs and hobby work. I like the adjustable legs because they allow me to sit on my stool if I'm doing something that requires extra time. Very easy to set up and very sturdy. I also bought the tail vise but I haven't used it yet. I am a 65 year old female and it isn't too heavy for me to lift.
on November 11, 2009
Guess I lucked out or they've figured out how to ship this thing. Mine actually arrived with no damage. What a great accessory item for the shop. Now my main workbench can remain less cluttered and when I need floor room it's a snap to put the x-bench up and way. So far it's working great. Very solid table. Easy to change attachments.
on February 13, 2010
True to form Skil has once again lived up to its image as a mid to lower end product producer. However, first a note on Amazon. I ordered this bench brand new from Amazon about 5 business days prior to receiving it at my home. That was fair and accurate. The problem began when I unpacked the item. The box appeared to have been previously opened and in poor condition. Some of its tape was hanging off the box. Once the lid was opened it did, in fact, have all its proper packing in place and the edges appeared new. After taking the item out and unfolding it inspection of the tabletop revealed minor cracks in the MDF type laminated top. In addition, where the table folds there was a large chip in the table. Now, before you say that's small, this is not a low priced item in my opinion. When you're buying new the item should, in fact, appear new. I called Amazon who where great. Their representative told me he'd ship out a new item next day service and include a return ticket for the older one. Next day another unit does appear on my doorstep. I opened the package and item has a similar problem. I finally came to the conclusion that it has more to do with the packaging itself than the item. You see Skil only uses 4 pieces of styrofoam molded to the edges inside the cardboard box. I suspect since it weighs 57 lbs the delivery people bang the package around pretty well. I did call Amazon who gave me a partia credit towards the item which I thought was very fair. I did actually call Skil themselves who weren't very helpful at all. Basically, we'll replace it but you'll have to wait 2 weeks for UPS gound AFTER we receive the old one back. I decided the options where accept the Amazon deal or end up waiting for what would likely be another damaged unit. Moral of the story is that the packaging isn't very good on this item. Next, the item itself.........As I said Skil isn't really known for their high quality in their tools. They are great for the ocassional hobbyist or apartment dweller. I'm neither and have a pretty extensive woodworking background. I felt the size and compact nature of the bench would be a good addition to my workshop especially if I needed to take some work outside during warmer weather. Its size is nice and I must admit I really like the adjustable legs. The top itself leaves alot to be desired. It is not heavy duty and looks as if it would chip quickly. If you had to say it apears almost sacrificial to me. Don't expect it to stay in good shape very long if you're going to do any sort of woodworking on it. However, truth be told that's what a bench is really for anyways. I purchased the vise attachment for the end of the table. My advise to you is......don't. This thing was $40 and is really low quality. I can't see it being very useful for anything except a very small object. I also purchased the router attachment. This, I think, was a useful addition. The bench has the ability to have power in it by use of an extension cord. You can easily mount a router and use it quite easily. I use a Porter Cable Wireless router that was manufactered back in the 2002 year or around there. If you ever get a chance to get one of these GRAB IT. It truly is one of the best items I've ever purchased. It was discontinued by Porter Cable because professionals found it to heavy and without enough juice to do larger jobs. However, for the weekend warrior and hobbyist its amazing to work without a cord. So so much easier. Buy a second battery and you'll be all set. Trying to find one is the difficult part. Those who have them don't want to part with them and when you do find one expect to pay about $400. However, as I said, in my opinion its well well worth it. Anyway, as far as the bench is concerned I was disappointed with its overall quality but for small jobs and ocassional use it will work. Don't consider it if you plan on anything more than cutting afew pieces of wood to do some minor fixes around the house.
on May 16, 2009
If you are looking for a light weight, craft bench, this work station is not for you! I was not really sure what to expect from this Skil workstation? i have always made my own. but the reviews were good so i decided to give it a try. WOW! Was i ever impressed with the hardiness of this work bench. it weighs in at about 45lbs and is extremely sturdy! i love that it so easily adjusts in height as well as being portable. i am a 40 something woman and wasn't too sure about how hard it would be to put together? but it took me only about 20 minutes to do. i am a very handy woman but i believe anyone could put it together in less than 45 min. once together, and put where you want it to be, it is very sturdy. i work with routers and hand saws and i feel very confident that this bench can hold it's own while i work on it. Skil has done a very good job with this bench and i would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a sturdy, portable work station.
on October 10, 2008
Very heavy duty, works very well. Good price. Guess I could have built one to do the same duty for less, but to me time is money. Have used it for 30+ days on building an oak desk, it was a great help. Adj. legs are outstanding, one of the best things about the bench. Only time will tell if it holds up. I should have gotten the clamping vise. Oh well, I still can.