Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Skills for New Managers
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Most of us developed our management skills, or lack thereof, in the same way: through trial and error. But Morey Stettner's new book will give anyone freshly promoted to the ranks of management a valuable head start by spelling out practical steps that new managers can take to be effective. For all of you old-timers, reading this book will induce a near constant mental stream of "I wish someone had told me that when I was starting out." For example, Stettner's first step, writing out a basic plan of how you want to manage your subordinates, might at first seem a bit naïve to veterans. But consider this point: How much time did you spend thinking about the techniques you would use in managing people before taking over your first managerial assignment? The probable answer is not much. In a clear voice laced with illustrative examples, Stettner covers the critical skills managers rely on every day: speaking, listening, criticizing and disciplining. For his insightful treatment of these topics, we [...] recommend this book to managers new and old, employees and students of management - But then again, aren't we all?
on July 14, 2000
This book is well written and nearly perfect for those transitioning to a management position with little time to spare. I found it to be well organized and concise, highlighting good common sense principles to remember when you take the helm of your new position. It addresses many of the common stereotypes and pitfalls new and experienced managers encounter. The book does fall short of one of the back covers claims about hiring. Nowhere within it's pages does it discuss hiring strategies or interviewing skills. This was disappointing and a critical piece missed by the author.
on September 15, 2008
I like the approach the author Morey Stettner takes with this book for new managers. As one would expect, it covers most of the topics a new manager would need - and they are handled in a clear and practical way that make it easy to absorb and apply. In addition to that, Stettner is a realist. He doesn't presume to "know it all" and that his suggestions will fit every new manager's style or needs. He asks new managers to try them out and adjust to suit. This is an unusual and unpretentious approach for a management "how to" book.

The book starts with asking the new manager to develop his or her personal credo by thinking about the qualities of good managers he/she has previously known or worked for. There's a practical exercise, "My favourite manager", that makes this task easy. Once again, the realistic approach comes into play with Stettner making sure that the new manager adjusts his/her ideal to account for their current organisational culture.

I particularly liked his advice on how to start one's first meeting with new staff to create that all important first impression. I also liked the chapter on "listening" which gives some excellent, practical tips such as the three step tactic of how to avoid becoming defensive - Patience-Ask-Confirm.

The many practical examples made it easy to see how the author's ideas might work in practice. However, it was a little frustrating when some chapters started with a case study to illustrate the problem, but did not finish the case with examples of how the manager solved the problem (I expected this to happen later in the chapter). I also found some examples a little dated (e.g. "type out your answers") and there was no mention of a 360 degree tool when discussing how the new manager might seek feedback.

I would have also liked to see more emphasis given to planning and running meetings. There was no mention of how to manage emails. For most new managers these two tasks take a lot of time and focus.

However, overall these are minor criticisms. It's nice to read a book written by a true professional who understands social psychology and how businesses work, but who doesn't need to elaborate or preach about either. It's just full of good, plain, workable advice. Highly recommended for any new manager.

Bob Selden author What To Do When You Become The Boss: How new managers become successful managers
on August 25, 2005
This is a must have book for any one just promoted to a manager or even an effective team member who wishes to go to managerial or people management jobs. This book can also be a good resource for those who are managers for long time but never had good mentor or training.
on June 6, 2010
I went through a lot of book reviews before choosing this book. I was a new manager about a year ago in a new industry and wanted some basic usable and easy to digest advice. This was a great reference tool and I would suggest anyone who needs a bit of management help to go ahead and take the plunge - buy it.
on February 16, 2008
This is a great book for beginning managers. The information is easy to read and well thought out. He has many helpful tips through out. I really enjoyed his writing style. Money well spent!
on November 28, 2011
This book is very quickly read and provides efficient and easy-to-understand examples of a manager's daily life. A must-read. I loved reading it and I would recommend it to any new manager.
on October 28, 2011
This is an awesome book for an new manager to read. I bought a few books when I first started to manage and did use some of the techniques it offers and educational values.
on January 21, 2009
This is a good book to start with.
There examples cited in the book are simple to understand and concise enough to keep us interested.
The books gives good insight into a psyche of a person starting out to be a new manager. I had already read some of the things from other sources but there were a few additional valid points to learn from.

Overall a good read. Now that I have read this, I am looking forward to a more involved book in the future.
on August 17, 2013
This is a great resource book for new managers. If you are new to managing or have been managing any length of time. You need this book in your arsenal.