4.0 out of 5 stars Quality cover, odd quirks, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10 (Electronics)
As a silicone cover, this item is pretty much as advertised.

It's a cleanly molded, milky-clear silicone case that fits fairly well over the Olympus LS10. There are cuts for the two built-in mics, the SD/line out ports, the volume knob, recording level knob, mic input, line input, remote control, and the DC in line.

The front controls are molded into the silicone case which makes pressing the buttons easier than without the case.

No directions come with the cover, which leaves you with a bit of a mystery regarding how to put the LS10 into the cover. I put the LS10 into the case through the LCD window, then pulled the rest of the cover over the microphones.

As other reviewers have stated, the real weakness of this case is that the power/keylock slider as well as the low-cut and mic amp sliders are covered by silicone on the case. The silicone is molded in such a way as to allow these sliders to be actuated using your fingers, but not without quite a bit of effort.

You might want to think about taking an x-acto knife to the slider areas yourself. Just remember to remove the LS10 from the case before doing so!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, with minor design flaw, September 14, 2009
This review is from: Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10 (Electronics)
Works great to protect the case and still allow use of most controls. Cover is not very thick, so extent of shock or drop protection is uncertain. Obviously not intended for drop protection, but clearly better than exposed case.
Only issue is access to the "on/off" switch. Since this switch is a slide switch that must be held for an extended period to power down, it is difficult to manipulate through the silicon. Moving the slide requires using fingernail which feels like risk to pierce the cover. Other controls work well. Offers no protection to the screen, which is obviously the most vulnerable portion of the unit, so judge utility accordingly. Uncovered screen offers good visibility, but unprotected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection, needs some customizations though, August 18, 2012
C. Harrison (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10 (Electronics)
This product works as advertised and provides some good protection for my LS-11. I use the LS-11 primarily outdoors for recording wildlife sounds so it needed some protection from rain and being dropped.

This skin is great and easy to put on, however there are a few quirks.

The skin does makes it a bit difficult to access the gain and volume wheels.

As mentioned by others, the skin does completely cover up the POWER/HOLD,LOW CUT, and MIC SENSE switches. However, it is a simple matter to cut away small access panels in the silicon for these switches without affecting the integrity of the cover. So that is an easy fix. And because you get to choose which panels get cut, you could leave the LOW CUT or MIC SENSE switches covered if you always leave this in the same position to allow easy switching in the dark (which I do a lot).

Another slight quirk is that the foam microphone windshields don't stay on my LS-11 as well now that the cover is fitted. They don't fall off easily, just are brushed off a bit more easily than before.

You do have to remove the cover to change the batteries. It is easy to get on and off as it is very flexible, but it is a little bit annoying if you are out in the field recording.

In spite of these quirks, this skin is a great way to protect your recorder, particularly if you use it outside. A quick tweak with a pair of sharp scissors and it is fully functional.

I recommend it to anyone with the LS-10 or LS-11.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fit, December 1, 2014
This review is from: Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10 (Electronics)
This skin fits perfectly and provides an excellent layer of protection for the recorder. Additionally, it provides a good grippy feel so that it's almost impossible to drop the device. I leave it on all the time, though come time to replace the batteries it is necessary to pull the recorder out through the opening at the top. Not to worry; the rubber is quite strong and stands up to all the stretching required.

The only negative at all is that with the skin on it can be a bit difficult to operate the record and stop buttons. Some users cut those out; I just press a little harder.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're recording hand held, you need a skin, November 3, 2012
This review is from: Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10 (Electronics)
Last month I recorded an outdoor concert on the first cold night of the year. It was 40 degrees warmer earlier in the day, needless to say no one was comfortable. I didn't bring a tripod to mount my LS 11 so I was stuck holding my recorder over my head, in the cold for over two hours. After an hour or so 10 min. was about as long as I was comfortable holding an arm up without readjusting. The recording should have been horrible, all full of thuds bumps and pops from bouncing the recorder from hand to hand and constantly readjusting my sore arms in the cold. To my surprise, when I listened to the recording there was no case noise from all the jostling. If I had only brought an extra skin to put over the drunk girl next to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars LS-10 Jacket, December 17, 2011
This review is from: Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10 (Electronics)
Received in original packing and with full packing. Olympus has very good brand and supplied this item as per my expectation.The product is very professionally and fits LS-11 very well.
Excellent.
regards

4.0 out of 5 stars Silicon Skin Cover, October 1, 2010
George Conway (MOORPARK, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10 (Electronics)
Almost perfect. A knock out hole for access to mount to the tripod stand would be nice. However simply threading in the male thread shears out the material cleanly.

4.0 out of 5 stars ok, December 15, 2009
This review is from: Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10 (Electronics)
snug fit, but it should have a cutout where the power on/off slider is. lame!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does it's job, November 20, 2014
This review is from: Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10 (Electronics)
Protects the recorder from bumps and dirt maybe even some moisture. I've had it on the recorder for four years now and has been nice to remove it to find a pristine recorder underneath that's been protected all this time. Over the years the silicone has dulled a bit which may be expected with age but no cracking and it's stayed "rubbery" all this time. Buttons are easy to press and the case fits well aligning with buttons and ports well. Overall a good purchase to protect the recorder and may have even prolonged the usable life of my LS-10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Recorder in Every Respect A real winner!!!!, November 20, 2009
Joe F. Lowe "Lowe Jazz" (Lake San Marcos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10 (Electronics)
Bought the LS-10 to record live jazz festivals, and after using it for almost 24 hours of music over 5 days, I have been impressed with the quality and design of this remarkable device.

It is feature laden, so I won't go over them all. So, here is what I like best:

1. Capacity - I bought three 8GB SDHC chips that each give me about 8 hours of recording time. Plus the 2GB of built-in memory give me emergency back-up capacity. I record in PCM format at 44.1kHz/16 bit which uses approximately one GB per hour, which makes it very easy to remember and keep track of.

2. Record Modes - Even thought I ultimately reduce most of the recordings to MP3 files to use on my iMac's iTunes, I record in PCM 44.1kHz/16 bit format to capture more sound spectrum to manipulate the files on my iMac for my ultimate use and tastes. I've heard several posts on music sites say to simply record in MP3 format if that's what one intends to ultimately use and keep. As an amateur, I say "No", use the best format available for your pocketbook (high capacity SDHC chips aren't cheap). For example, I recorded one music set that was so excellent that in addition to saving to MP3 for my iPod/iTunes use, I also made a WAV/WMA CD for use in my CD jukebox. If I had only originally recorded it in MP3 format, I would have lost forever the audio content for a CD quality recording. So, record in the highest quality that you feel might ever be useful down the line. But beware, rich content takes longer to load and manipulate, so do't go overboard.

The recording quality is excellent to my ears. L & R separation seems discreet and in the auto mode there is no distortion whatsoever. The audio level is adequate and produces great sounding CDs and MP3 files. Nice sounds when imported into my iTunes as MP3.

3. Menu - The menu structure works just like all my digital cameras, so I've never even had to even open the manual. A breeze to use.

4. Feature Laden - To record potentially loud and high dynamic music levels, I simply click the external "Low Cut" filter switch to "On" and click the "Mic. Sense" switch to "Low", mount the LS-10 on a small camera tripod to isolate it from picking up hand held audio...... hit "Record" and the LS-10 does all the work. I like the two step procedure to record ... this allows me to see the recording level with the meter to test for distortion before the actual recording "starts to roll".

5. Battery Life - While I didn't keep copious notes on this, my general impression is good ... I recorded for 26 hours on two changes of batteries (2 AA), so this was not an issue... and a month later, after rather light usage, I'm still using the 2nd set of AAs. Certainly NOT a battery hog!

6. Compatibility - Works great on my iMac. I use a USB card reader and the SDHC chip pops up on my desktop as a hard drive icon. i use Amadeus Pro and use "Open File" to grab the LS-10 files and manipulate them as appropriate. When I'm done editing and cutting, I simply add them to my iTunes library, which is now over 50,000 songs, mostly jazz. (Had to get that brag in there somehow)

7. Accessories - Nice case, wind screens (outdoor use), cables, etc. very comprehensive manual. I bought a skin, but don't use it as the case provided is nice and roomy for the LS-10 and a small bag of 3-4 SDHC chips.

8. Bottom Line: I'm in love with everything about my LS-10. It is small and I is now a permanent item I store in my "bag" along with my iPhone, iPod & Nikon D-50!

There may be cheaper and better recorders out there, but for value and quality I know you'll love this baby!!!!!! If you've got the need and the "bread"... GO GET IT!!!!!!

Skin, Clear Silicon Skin for LS-10