5.0 out of 5 stars Wow.
Published on August 11, 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Story but difficult writing style
The sentences are very choppy and chaotic. The story is great and the plot will leave you in suspense. As an English major, even I found the writing style to be too much and overwhelming for a 400 page book.
Published 1 month ago by Petite marie

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., August 11, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Skin (Hardcover)
I most faithfully believe that SKIN sets a standard by which all books of the "darker" genre should be measured. This book is indeed dark, but it is also incandescent. I am by no means an uncritical reader, so when I say that, page after page, SKIN had me breathless, touched, and completely floored, I sincerely mean it. Kathe Koja is a passionate, visceral writer, gifted with the uncommon knack for gorgeous and hallucinatory prose. Reading SKIN, I could not help but feel moved -- it seemed as though I had been waiting a long, long time to come in contact with something so extremely alive and so extremely rarefied - so unrelentingly beautiful - that, no matter how lame or drastic this sounds, I almost felt as if I were coming home to something; something unfamiliar yet completely familiar, something untouched that had been waiting to be touched, waiting patiently until given the proper stimulus: SKIN. No artist - in fact, no one, period - can afford not to read this book. It's raw, it's affecting, it's painful, it's profound -- the distillate of life compressed into 389 wonderful pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of many amazing Koja novels, April 29, 2002
This review is from: Skin (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the first Kathe Koja book I ever read, and it was not the last. This book was great on so many different levels. I loved the writing style, long sentences and all. I especially loved the characters, Bibi and Tess, and the secondary characters of the performance troupe - they were presented as true artists of the industrial culture, the ideas at the heart of industrial music and its fans, not poseur whiny kids in cute black clothes. (Aside from Koja, I recommend Poppy Z. Brite and Caitlin R. Kiernan for getting past cliches of kids in subcultures.) This book was real and raw and different. I don't think the author was trying to "push" homosexuality on a reader or exploit it for book sales. What do people want? A label on books that says: Warning: Contents May Offend or Challenge Your Sensibilities? That's what good books are supposed to do! If one wants a label that says the opposite, perhaps one should look for books with Koontz and Rice embossed nice and shiny on the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars atavistic skin, February 22, 2008
This review is from: Skin (Mass Market Paperback)
Skin was my first exposure to Kathe Koja so many years ago in an advanced copy sent to the bookstore i'd worked at. labeled as horror, which was something i was moving away from, it hit a real raw nerve that had nothing to do with horror or fiction.

this was an aspect of the world i knew.

art and obsession colliding with the real world.

Tess and Bibi invaded my world. i wanted to hear the music used in the performances, i wanted the image of who they were, i wanted to smell the sweat, smoke and blood of the shows.

Kathe Koja showed real emotion, real connection, the real power of compulsion. no choice, you burn for your art. no choice you read because you must.

no chipper ending as most would provide, but palatable hurt that will linger.

find a copy, hardbound if possible. you will want it on your bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flesh and steel, June 1, 2002
This review is from: Skin (Mass Market Paperback)
Koja explores the limits of flesh in SKIN,chronicling the
desire to transcend these limits in her own unique style.
This is a great modern novel concerning extreme body
modification and the physiological scars it leaves; it
is also an accurate look at underground culture. Koja is
one of our very best writers,and SKIN is a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book even better than its cover.., October 19, 1999
This review is from: Skin (Hardcover)
Picked up this book from a thrift shop intending to use the cover art in a collage. Upon reading the book I was astounded that I had never heard of Kathe Koja up to that point. (Several years ago.) She is definitely the most under appreciated author of this generation. Skin is full on masterful prose and while I wouldn't recommend it to my mother, I have recommended it to most of my friends. Needless to say, the book is on my shelf, cover intact.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best horror novel of all time., September 1, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Skin (Mass Market Paperback)
There isn't much to say about Kathe Koja's _Skin_ except this: read it. Read it now.
Sculptor Tess Bajac is looking for ways to pay the rent. Through a sometime boyfriend, she's introduced to Bibi, a performance artist who sees the potential for a collaboration between the two. They for a troupe and a friendship, and both warp, twist, and degrade, slowly but surely. Enough plot twists to keep the reader guessing, but even if there weren't, Koja's skill with the written word is so masterful that it wouldn't matter. The writing style is as bleakly compelling as the novel's subject. Worth finding and reading at all costs. The best horror novel ever written, and one of the five or so best books of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars yikes, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Skin (Kindle Edition)
i read this years ago and lost my real book so was glad to find it on ebooks. this is not for the faint of heart. i mean it. this woman makes chuck palahniuk look like rebecca of sunnybrook farm...and i have never read anything like this before except another of her books. if you think you can handle ms. koja, she writes really really well, but be prepared. this is brand new territory.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Story but difficult writing style, March 5, 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre writing, February 6, 2014
This review is from: Skin (Mass Market Paperback)
Mediocre writing, I understand that many like this but there were too many disconnected phrases and over dramatic posturing , I lost interest 50 pages into it and gave up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Fantastic, November 14, 2013
This review is from: Skin (Kindle Edition)
One of the most beautiful, bizarre, disturbing books I have ever read. Fans of Koja will recognize her mastery of language and character. For new readers, it's a beautiful introduction to her work.

ARRAY(0xd96ea960)

Skin
Skin by Kathe Koja (Mass Market Paperback - January 1, 1994)
Used & New from: $0.01