5.0 out of 5 stars A superb companion to her autobiography
Here is another artist whose music I never was a fan of, Melissa Etheridge. Radio overkill on her singles and the constant labelling by critics really turned me off to Melissa's music to be painfully honest. What changed my mind? I just started reading her book after I read a segment of it in Rolling Stone and from there my interest in Melissa Etheridge and her new album...
Published on July 10, 2001 by Erica Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Time to Shed the Obvious . . . Skin
I love Melissa's music, but her self-titled album remains the high point of her career. Skin is a much more polished, studio-perfect outing; her voice packaged and cleaned up. Breakdown brought a new maturity and a welcomed relief from the catchy, commercial albums of recent years. Melissa is at her best when the noisy music is scaled back ("2001" and "I...
Published on July 22, 2001 by Michael S. Harper

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Real, Really Honest, Really Really Raw, February 3, 2005
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
I have listened to "Skin" more than often enough; and I find this is a perfect album to play when you're the most depressed; considering the circumstances of Julie Cypher leaving. "Please Forgive Me" personally rips me apart; perfectly detailed to the bone and I can almost feel her emotions on her lips, "It's been so long since I've touched/So long since I've wanted/and you made me laugh/and my heart opened..." and "It's Only Me" shows her at her lowest point, "Maybe you can just pretend/that maybe you can love again/oh babe i know better/it's only me/and wherever you are tonight/the satisfaction you invite/nobody knows better/it's only me." This is one of the few albums that I know by heart every word and every chord. This album is perfect. When a singer goes through trauma, as bad as it hurts, it does bring out beautiful and real music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Melissa Etheridge rules again., July 10, 2001
Jason I. Block (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
Most people do not put their personal problems into music. But Melissa Etheridge does it as very few artists do, and triumphs once again. From coming out of the closet in "Yes I Am", to the idea of love and loss in "Skin", Melissa Etheridge reaffirms her spot as the best female singer/songwriter in rock and roll. You can tell that her breakup with Julie Cypher was the dominant thematic force in "Skin", and it rubs you raw. Every song is a story in the journey of the breakup. What I love about Melissa is that her songs are universal. They speak to you in such a way that very few artists can. Melissa is one of the artists that I will buy on name only. I am a huge fan of hers, and recommend this album without reservation. You will get a glimpse of the tortured soul of Melissa as she ends one journey, and begins another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb excellence ... as always!, January 6, 2003
Leslie L. Larson (MI, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
... 5 stars just isn't enuff!
7 commercially releases later ... 10 concerts to date (and a trillion more to come - I hope!) .... countless owned bootlegs ... and hundreds of audio/video trades with people world wide ... in my opinion, SKIN is by far Melissa's best work yet! The woman is the epitome of talent! I can't even begin to express my admiration for Melissa and her music --- as there's not adequate time in the world, nor is there available words. She's just a pure genius of her multiple god given talents. The SKIN cd is only an iota of Melissa's greatfullness!
I don't know what had taken me so long to write this review --- no doubt being speechless had something to do with it. But then again, maybe it's just because the newness of her latest masterpiece hadn't had time to wear off!
Skin is definately a treasure --- no cd changer should be void of it!
A truely dedicated fan
-from michigan-

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense...Amazing., December 2, 2001
"unvarnished_suzy" (Buffalo Grove, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
I have never been disappointed by any of Melissa Etheridge's work. Her latest cd, Skin, is no exception. She provides a raw feeling and a rock-and-roll edge that few artists-male or female-are capable of. Skin is indescribable. The music becomes tangible in the sense that it fills you and carries you, passionately, through Melissa's personal journey. The songs then become your own, making the music very personal and sacred, in a sense.
Melissa Etherige is the Queen of Rock-and-Roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE TOTALLY AWESOME CD AND SINGER.................., July 31, 2001
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
I have always been a fan of Melissa's and the woman just keeps getting better and better. I honestly felt she could never outdo "Breakdown". Boy was i wrong!! The songs on this cd are so filled with all kinds of feelings and emotions. You close your eyes and listen to her sing and feel her pain. You play it again and again. Then you try to decide which one you like best. I love them all... Melissa will get awards for this one, something i don't think she has gotten enough of in the past and most definitly deserves. It's a shame that we get our pleasure from such great music and great singing from her while she has her pains and "TRUTHS". Buy this cd, you will not be disappointed.. Melissa, We love you and thanks for sharing your music with us. I hope you find all the love and happiness you deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Etheridge's most honest effort, February 4, 2004
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
This is a really extrodinary album from Melissa Etheridge. There are so many emotions, the songs are painfully real and vivid with detail. Of course this album came on the heels of her breakup with longtime girlfriend Julie Cypher. It is an incredibly vulnerable and at the same time, a brilliant record. The songs range from dispair, disappointment, hope, and other emotions. The album opens with the wonderful rocker "Lover Please", which is an instant hit upon listening to it. I really like "The Prison", a song I can very much identify with, about feeling stuck in a situation or a place, state of mind, whatever. Great song! "Walking On Water" is a great song, just very blunt and obvious. "Down To One" is simply heartbreaking, another great song. The first single was "I Want To Be In Love", an epiphany of sorts, a nice pop/rock song with a positive sound and message, about knowing what you want and doing whatever you can to get it. The album closes with "Heal Me", a positive song about renewel and starting over. This is a really good album, very deep in terms of lyrics. She wrote all the songs and played a number of instruments on all of them. She really brings the revealing lyrics alive with her raw vocals, she truly sounds like she poured her heart all over this and wore it on her sleeve for all to see. A very impressive Melissa Etheridge album that does not disapoint in the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT PASSION!!, August 30, 2002
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
Melissa just belts out her passion and feelings on this cd. I am a fairly new fan (past year or so), thought "Yes I Am" was her best music until I really listened to "Skin". I can't play it enough, my favorites "Good Night", "Down to One", "It's Only Me' and "I Want to be in Love", really everything on it. I saw Melissa in concert this past June and it was an awesome performance. I have since bought and read her book, interesting read. I am not gay but I love her songs, the passion she sings and performs with, and her honesty about her life and loves. Wish you only happiness, Melissa, and lasting love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forty and Fabulous!, July 24, 2001
Jennifer Fletcher (Columbus, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
Melissa proves the adage "you're not getting older; you're getting better!" Despite being patently autobiographical, this album is, in a word, FABULOUS! Melissa speaks so eloquently, and her gutsy truths transcend age, class, and gender. Almost every track ROCKS, but my personal favorites are the first, the seventh, and the eighth. Who hasn't been tempted to cry "Lover, Please!" Who hasn't wanted to scream to anyone who will listen "I Want To Be In Love?" And who hasn't wept and wailed "Please Forgive Me?" This is a definite keeper!

4.0 out of 5 stars Her best work in years, September 27, 2001
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
It has been often said that sorrow and pain breeds creativity. Just look at Bruce Springsteen to find evidence that the opposite is surely true. With "Skin" Melissa Etheridge gives us a deeply personal album, likely inspired by her recent personal travails. She has turned her experiences into a somber, yet powerful album that sheds much of the tough, rock and roll image she has built over the years to revail a sensitive, vulnerable woman. With acoustic guitar the foundation for many tracks, this is easily her best work in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, Plain And Simple, July 24, 2001
Jef Fazekas (Newport Beach, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skin (Audio CD)
I had just about given up on Melissa Etheridge. Granted, I still consider 1992's "NEVER ENOUGH" one of the best albums of the last decade, and her 1988 debut and it's follow-up "BRAVE & CRAZY" from a year later still hold up. However, with 1993's "YES I AM" Etheridge seemed to find a formula that she was willing to drive into the ground. Each successive release, from 1995's "YOUR LITTLE SECRET" to "BREAKDOWN" in 1999, seemed more and more like a going-thru-the-motions rehash of the previous release. That's why I was so glad to hear Etheridge wanted to shake things up with her seventh release. And, boy, has she ever! Offering up her most personal, creative release yet, Etheridge opens "SKIN" with "Lover Please", an in-your-face strummer that's augmented by tight beatbox percussion. However, this track is only a hint of things to come, with it's Joe Walshesque guitar effects and breathy bridge; you really know you're in for something new on the next track, the hushed, bare-bones "The Prison." Sort of like the female equivalent to Mellencamp and Springsteen, Etheridge makes it clear you can show just as much power with an acoustic guitar, harmonica and percussion that sounds like it's being played on the top of an oatmeal box as you can belting it out at the top of your lungs, guitar chords grinding. Now, I've got to admit.....while I think "Walking On Water" is pretty much a typical MLE track, one that would fit in on any of her previous releases, there's something almost.....mystical.....about the haunting backing vocals and flute-like synth that is causing me to like the track more and more with each new listen. On the flip side of the coin, a track that bowled me over right from the start is the powerful "Down To One." With it's Philly soul meets Carly Simon vibe and confessional lyrics, this is heartache at it's rawest.....one of the best "out on my own" songs in ages! At the CD's halfway point, we're treated to one of it's highlights, the gentle, yet loping, "Goodnight." All twangy guitar, twitchy percussion and chilling, sequenced backing vocals, the track offers some of the CD's best lyrics: "I washed the dishes/poured out the old wine/called a new friend for the second time/it's not bad this brand new life/it's clean and it's sharp like a brand new knife." Sheer perfection! Up next are two more great break-up songs, "It's Only Me" and the CD's first single, the universal "I Want To Be In Love." I dare anyone to state that, at no time in their life, not even for a moment, could they identify with this track.....EVERYONE has been there! Love is yearning and yearning is love, and the yearning in this song just bleeds out of the speakers. Mark my word.....when all is said and done, this will go down as one of Etheridge's Top Five singles of all time! Next, "Please Forgive Me" aches with it's delicacy. Very few of us are willing to jump right back in after our heart's been crushed; we want the wound to have at least begun to heal before the scab gets ripped off. "Please Forgive Me" captures this hesitation like very few songs ever have. Upon first listen "The Different" might seem a tad bit out of place, with it's twisted vocals and booming, propulsive beat. However, after a few listens, you'll realize that it TOTALLY belongs on "SKIN"; it radiates heat, passion, desire and rebirth. Closing the CD is "Heal Me." An uplifting ode to new beginnings, Etheridge seems to be saying that, no matter how bad it gets, it will always get better. Yes......there is a light at the end of the tunnel! That said, do I have any problems with "SKIN?" Well, yes, two minor ones. I'm still waiting for Etheridge to once again try the dance grooves that she so excellently mastered on "Must Be Crazy For Me", an excellent, albeit underrated, track from "NEVER ENOUGH." And, at just under 39 minutes, the CD seems way too short (but that might be a blessing in disguise; additional tracks might have resulted in a "filler" feeling, thus destroying the "concept" vibe that "SKIN" has going on). But these are minor quibbles at best. The fact of the matter is that, with "SKIN", Melissa Etheridge has laid her soul out for all to see.....and, in the process, given us the best album of her thirteen year career thus far.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›