Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: Spiral-boundChange

on March 2, 2012
Vegan Swaps is a fantastic book. I am a long time vegan, and there are tons of tips that I didn't know. Kim gives detailed, no-nonsense information about being vegan. Great ideas, easy to manage (I work full time and am raising two awesome vegan kids)and great format.
BTW, you should also get Kim's cookbook, Ultimate Everyday Cookbook (Skinny Bitch). The orange scone recipe is to die for'
0Comment36 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2012
This book should be called "Book of Vegan BRANDS", not swaps. I'm a small-town vegan living 2+ hours from a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I bought the Kindle version of this book thinking it would contain vegan swaps that I could find in the average grocery store, but instead it's just a list of vegan brands (Earth Balance, etc.) that can pretty much only be found at Whole Foods/Earth Fare type stores, or swaps that were completely obvious, like Morningstar Farms Chik'n Patties for actual chicken. I loved Skinny Bitch so I'm disappointed-this book would be better for people considering going vegan, as I can't imagine anyone who'd been vegan for a significant period of time wouldn't already know this stuff.

This book would be great if you live in Southern California or a large city with access to health food stores, but alas I do not. I returned it!
11 comment60 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2012
My wife and I recently watched "Forks Over Knives." She immediately decided to become vegan and purchased the book. I'm the cook in the family. We read it together and chose a few recipes to start out with. A few of the recipes were from the 'Skinny Bitch.' They were VERY well received.

We got the vegan swap book last weekend. It motivated my wife to start cooking as well. Tonight she's making page 47, as I'm reading Kim's other book about Home/Health and Beauty in preparation for a seminar at our Women's Expo tomorrow.

This book has not only changed our lives, it will change the lives of many others...THE SKINNY BITCH ROCKS!
0Comment43 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2012
This book is the answer to all of my "on the road", "busy mom", and "no time issues". I love to cook vegan and I attempt to eat vegan while on the road (for work) and then there's always the quick kids meals I attempt to come up with on the fly! I found this book to be the perfect fill in the blank for my life as a working mom/cook from the shopping list to the recipe. Thank you Kim!
22 comments22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2012
My husband and I have both been vegan for nearly four years. While we consider ourselves somewhat experts on veganism - around friends - having lived this healthy lifestyle for so long, we'll both readily admit that there is ALWAYS room to learn more. Picking up a copy of Kim's newest book is a great reminder!

I own her famous "Skinny Bitch" and "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" books as well. Bought them shortly after going vegan, to understand how incompatible human bodies really are to animal products, and how to ensure my husband and I were obtaining proper vegan nutrition. I adored her hilarious writing style. Very in-your-face. I read "Skinny Bitch" in one day, a rarity for me... and particularly rare to read a "diet" book in one sitting... for anyone! Face it, diet books aren't Harlequin books. But Kim has a way of writing that hooks you. You feel like your best friend just wagged her finger in your face!! But she tops off her hilariously punchy attitude with perfect pats on the back.

As for her newest book - what a great idea!! Vegans know that we're always going to fellow vegans for the latest tips and tricks for recipes, new products, etc. This vegan swaps book is a handy little option to have laying around your house. Chalk full of recommendations and little cooking secrets, it's a fun book to flip through. Additionally, if you find yourself on a "carnivorous" recipe website and in love with a non-vegan recipe and trying to figure out how to "veganize" it, Kim's latest book is sure to help you out!
on May 9, 2012
Even as someone new to Veganland, this book's content was painfully obvious. The author is just cashing in on the success of her first book...There's better info on the web for free.
0Comment19 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2013
This book has some good tips and ideas that I would not have ever thought of, so it has been used quite a bit in my kitchen. I would recommend it to anyone experimenting with going vegan, or anyone just wanting to improve their health.
on May 20, 2012
I am 100% satisfied with this book. I actually thought I was getting another book by the author. This book is great and an easy read. I am making the transition from meat eater to vegetarian and Skinny B is helping with loads of information on choices and alternatives.
on June 14, 2013
I'm dabbling with going vegan and ADORE Kim Barnouin's books. This is a fantastic vegan resource! Definitely recommend for anyone interested in going vegan or those that are already there.
on June 19, 2012
Lots of information and good ideas for converting your diet to vegan. You are healthier and this book helps you to make better choices