Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

on November 6, 2010
I was browsing through this book in the bookstore yesterday and just had to purchase it. The recipes all look fabulous! This morning for breakfast, I made the Crepes with Raspberry Sauce - so simple to make and so delicious to eat, as well as the Breakfast Scramble, another yummy treat.

I was especially drawn to this cookbook, because, although it's vegan, you don't miss the no-meat recipes at all. There's such a variety - Coconut Banana French Toast, Black Bean and Tomato Soup, Warm Spring Rolls with Spicy Sesame Sauce, Polenta-Crusted Eggplant Parmesan, Jenny and Heather's Mini Lemon Cheesecake Bites with a Strawberry Sauce...I could go on and on. One of the particular draws to this cookbook was the lack of "fake meats" used. They are very rarely utilized in a meal, instead relying on fresh produce, legumes, and whole grains.

Almost all of the ingredients listed are found in regular grocery stores, which is also a big plus. And there's nutritional information included in each recipe, so you can stay your skinny self or make yourself one.

This book is a must buy. I am looking forward to cooking my way through the book and doing "stay-in" meals instead of "take-out", for once!
review image
33 comments|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2011
As a long time vegan chef I have lots and lots of cookbooks. I often end up developing my own recipes but I have to say, "This is hands-down my all time favorite cookbook!" The recipes are delicious, easy and they even work as written! The main changes I've made is substituting maple sugar for cane sugar (I don't eat cane sugar) and cutting down on the Earth Balance a smig and adding oil rather than Earth Balance in a couple of recipes. Other than that I've hardly changed a thing. I've made about 50% of the recipes at this point and I couldn't be happier. One more thing, the pictures are beautiful and inspiring -- I just love a book with pretty pictures ;-). Like I said above, I was really hesitant to buy this book because I have lots of cookbooks but now I'm buying it for all my friends! This is a MUST HAVE!
11 comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2010
I've tried three recipes from the book so far, and I've really enjoyed them. I had the coconut/banana french toast, spicy vegetable curry, and curried pumpkin soup. The only one I modified, by adding more spice to, was the curry; I happen to like mine really spicy. The recipes in this book are more "sophisticated" than what was available in the other two books. I did enjoy them, but this book relies a lot less on meat analogs than the previous ones (but there are still a good selection of them). It's more of a whole foods cooking style. Very good chapter on sustainability too. The tone is still sassy, but I never had a problem with that. I'm looking forward to trying the asian macaroni and cheese; it sounds delish! BTW the french toast was incredible.
on December 12, 2010
No kidding! If this is unchartered water for you then this book is your friend! Kim has made this transition easy for me and my family of five! My husband and kids don't even realize what I am doing....the food is that good. I am excited for the tools that are put together. Pictures are very nice...would like more. Has cal/fat info for each dish. Fun to read. Major down fall-there is no "prep and cook time" listed. So you need to read through the recipe and understand what you are getting into BEFORE you start cooking....some take time. But a wonderful addition to my kitchen.
on February 6, 2011
I didn't appreciate the promo for match meat and then the subsequent recipes following it, requiring match meat. Im sure you could sub something else in but it was just kind of annoying. On the positive side, the author somehow is charming and a little rude at the same time- kind of an amazing feat in my opinion, so I enjoyed that part. Also, if you plan on buying this cookbook, you might also want to strongly consider purchasing grape seed oil, it is everywhere in the book.
on January 10, 2011
I recently ordered this book, never previously vegan, to help my 4 month old daughter who is nursing. She was diagnosed with severe infant reflux. The best cure was for me to nurse her, and go on an extreme dietary change, first eliminating all dairy. As a complete dairy lover, this has been extremely difficult. I LOVE cheese, ice-cream, etc. Otherwise, I normally eat a very healthy diet and regularly exercise, so am already in great shape. After ordering this book, I was SO grateful to see all the milk/cheese/butter substitutes I might have never known about. I have now tried several of the recipes, and have been surprised how good they were in comparison to non-vegan. Thus making my transition not nearly as painful as it started. This book has been quite an eye opener as to why many turn to a vegan diet, and I now have a greater appreciation for them. The book includes dietary related environmental information, some of which I have heard previously, but appreciate and would absolutely not criticize as the majority of that is easy to obtain facts that can help our world. I do believe these recipes are excellent for your body when added into an already healthy lifestyle or to jump-start a completely unhealthy lifestyle.
on June 22, 2011
This book is great for people who are busy and want to lead a healthier lifestyle. I do think that it relies too heavily on premade, highly processed vegan products, and does not recommend a brand a lot of the time. Some of these products are really nasty. I think its a great starter vegan cookbook, to get your feet wet; but for a more experienced cook, there are much better vegan cookbooks out there. Try the Veganomicon, Vegan Brunch, or The Conscious Cook.
on November 20, 2010
I'm a sucker for good food, but I am also allergic to milk. I was very excited to find a vegan cookbook that also emphasized general healthy living practices. This book had such good reviews, I just had to try it.

I can't express how disappointed I am. Some of the recipes are very tasty. However, the fat content for the majority of the recipes is off the charts. Seven of the dinner recipes have a fat content of 20g or more for only a single serving! Oh, the raviolis look okay, they're only seven grams...for one ravioli. This is NOT healthy!!

Sure, you can eat a normal portion if you skip a meal or two that day. Or you can eat a portion with the appropriate amount of fat for an average meal and end up back in your kitchen rummaging through your cupboards within the hour.

Also, it is very annoying when a cookbook prints serving size in grams (I don't weight my food) and does not always tell you how many servings a recipe should make.

**By the way - the Buttercream frosting recipe is really gross, and it basically ends up being the consistency of soup if you follow the recipe.
1010 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2011
I have tried 5 of these recipes and LOVE them. SO easy. You can also make them just vegetarian instead of vegan.. I love her commentary and her opinions in the book...
So good!
on October 25, 2010
I am usually not a big fan of cookbooks because most of the time the recipes are too complicated or use terms and ingredients I can't even pronounce. This cookbook has wonderful information (shopping list, when to buy organic, etc.).

I laughed out loud several times while reading this cookbook. She is just too funny!

I tried the pancakes which were delicious. Bought ingredients today for the Asian Macaroni and "Cheese."

This book is for everyone - not just Vegans.