5.0 out of 5 stars Bitchtastic!
I was browsing through this book in the bookstore yesterday and just had to purchase it. The recipes all look fabulous! This morning for breakfast, I made the Crepes with Raspberry Sauce - so simple to make and so delicious to eat, as well as the Breakfast Scramble, another yummy treat.

I was especially drawn to this cookbook, because, although it's vegan, you...
Published on November 6, 2010 by M. Dwyer

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad
Published on February 6, 2011 by Jen

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitchtastic!, November 6, 2010

I was especially drawn to this cookbook, because, although it's vegan, you don't miss the no-meat recipes at all. There's such a variety - Coconut Banana French Toast, Black Bean and Tomato Soup, Warm Spring Rolls with Spicy Sesame Sauce, Polenta-Crusted Eggplant Parmesan, Jenny and Heather's Mini Lemon Cheesecake Bites with a Strawberry Sauce...I could go on and on. One of the particular draws to this cookbook was the lack of "fake meats" used. They are very rarely utilized in a meal, instead relying on fresh produce, legumes, and whole grains.

Almost all of the ingredients listed are found in regular grocery stores, which is also a big plus. And there's nutritional information included in each recipe, so you can stay your skinny self or make yourself one.

This book is a must buy. I am looking forward to cooking my way through the book and doing "stay-in" meals instead of "take-out", for once!

5.0 out of 5 stars Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook, January 24, 2011
L. (LAGUNA BEACH, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
As a long time vegan chef I have lots and lots of cookbooks. I often end up developing my own recipes but I have to say, "This is hands-down my all time favorite cookbook!" The recipes are delicious, easy and they even work as written! The main changes I've made is substituting maple sugar for cane sugar (I don't eat cane sugar) and cutting down on the Earth Balance a smig and adding oil rather than Earth Balance in a couple of recipes. Other than that I've hardly changed a thing. I've made about 50% of the recipes at this point and I couldn't be happier. One more thing, the pictures are beautiful and inspiring -- I just love a book with pretty pictures ;-). Like I said above, I was really hesitant to buy this book because I have lots of cookbooks but now I'm buying it for all my friends! This is a MUST HAVE!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, October 10, 2010
Nerdygrl (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I've tried three recipes from the book so far, and I've really enjoyed them. I had the coconut/banana french toast, spicy vegetable curry, and curried pumpkin soup. The only one I modified, by adding more spice to, was the curry; I happen to like mine really spicy. The recipes in this book are more "sophisticated" than what was available in the other two books. I did enjoy them, but this book relies a lot less on meat analogs than the previous ones (but there are still a good selection of them). It's more of a whole foods cooking style. Very good chapter on sustainability too. The tone is still sassy, but I never had a problem with that. I'm looking forward to trying the asian macaroni and cheese; it sounds delish! BTW the french toast was incredible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, December 12, 2010
No kidding! If this is unchartered water for you then this book is your friend! Kim has made this transition easy for me and my family of five! My husband and kids don't even realize what I am doing....the food is that good. I am excited for the tools that are put together. Pictures are very nice...would like more. Has cal/fat info for each dish. Fun to read. Major down fall-there is no "prep and cook time" listed. So you need to read through the recipe and understand what you are getting into BEFORE you start cooking....some take time. But a wonderful addition to my kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed for First Vegan Cookbook, January 10, 2011
I recently ordered this book, never previously vegan, to help my 4 month old daughter who is nursing. She was diagnosed with severe infant reflux. The best cure was for me to nurse her, and go on an extreme dietary change, first eliminating all dairy. As a complete dairy lover, this has been extremely difficult. I LOVE cheese, ice-cream, etc. Otherwise, I normally eat a very healthy diet and regularly exercise, so am already in great shape. After ordering this book, I was SO grateful to see all the milk/cheese/butter substitutes I might have never known about. I have now tried several of the recipes, and have been surprised how good they were in comparison to non-vegan. Thus making my transition not nearly as painful as it started. This book has been quite an eye opener as to why many turn to a vegan diet, and I now have a greater appreciation for them. The book includes dietary related environmental information, some of which I have heard previously, but appreciate and would absolutely not criticize as the majority of that is easy to obtain facts that can help our world. I do believe these recipes are excellent for your body when added into an already healthy lifestyle or to jump-start a completely unhealthy lifestyle.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, February 6, 2011
I didn't appreciate the promo for match meat and then the subsequent recipes following it, requiring match meat. Im sure you could sub something else in but it was just kind of annoying. On the positive side, the author somehow is charming and a little rude at the same time- kind of an amazing feat in my opinion, so I enjoyed that part. Also, if you plan on buying this cookbook, you might also want to strongly consider purchasing grape seed oil, it is everywhere in the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars kim barnouins semi homemade vegan, June 22, 2011
This book is great for people who are busy and want to lead a healthier lifestyle. I do think that it relies too heavily on premade, highly processed vegan products, and does not recommend a brand a lot of the time. Some of these products are really nasty. I think its a great starter vegan cookbook, to get your feet wet; but for a more experienced cook, there are much better vegan cookbooks out there. Try the Veganomicon, Vegan Brunch, or The Conscious Cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO yummy, January 10, 2011
Hillary Gardner (san diego, ca USA) - See all my reviews
I have tried 5 of these recipes and LOVE them. SO easy. You can also make them just vegetarian instead of vegan.. I love her commentary and her opinions in the book...
So good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Food that's Really Good!, January 22, 2011
I don't eat vegan full-time but am working towards that goal. This book is wonderful and definitely will inspire me to reach that goal sooner! Ingredients I can find at the regular grocery store, wonderful photos to support the recipes, and Kim's good dose of humor throughout make this my new favorite cookbook! My carnivore friends were blown away by the asian mac and cheese and the pumpkin banana pecan bread is to die for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have cookbook!, October 25, 2010
I am usually not a big fan of cookbooks because most of the time the recipes are too complicated or use terms and ingredients I can't even pronounce. This cookbook has wonderful information (shopping list, when to buy organic, etc.).

I laughed out loud several times while reading this cookbook. She is just too funny!

I tried the pancakes which were delicious. Bought ingredients today for the Asian Macaroni and "Cheese."

This book is for everyone - not just Vegans.

Rate and Discover Movies