4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not for everyone
The nutritional advice in this book is very sound. Maintaining blood sugar throughout the day is key to curbing cravings and mood swings. Being able to "indulge" in good carbs is a blessing in itself! However, beware that those 4-5 recommeded "meals" per day can be no more than 400 calories each, and always a near exact PC combo. While the eating plan in this book...
Published on May 6, 2009 by Mom-bo

3.0 out of 5 stars Very informative but it did not work for me
I'm giving this book 3 stars because it is really well written and convincing, and it sounds like excellent and sensible advice for everyone. It really seems to make sense and I could not wait to try the plan. Well, I followed the nutritional plan to a "T", and I was absolutely starving all day long. I even tried upping the portion sizes (proportional amounts of...
Published on October 3, 2009 by Chickadee

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Skinny chicks is a help, May 15, 2013
This review is from: Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads: Stop Starving, Start Eating...And Losing! (Paperback)
I have been slowly losing weight for the past 8 months, but had plateaued. I bought this book in the recommendation of a friend. I must say that it has been a great encouragement. I think this book will help me get off those last 20 stubborn pounds! I can't wait to try some of the many recipes included.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice reference, March 26, 2013
Good to have on the shelf. Not overly complicated with a good steak recipe if I recall. Have a great time trying the recipes

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, March 4, 2013
Christine Avanti does an excellent job of explaining her plan. You believe she is talking about her life and upbringing in the background provided, and she genuinely cares about her clients. Her plan seems very sensible, except for the low fat recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Against Conventional Wisdom, February 23, 2013
The cynics often say that you'll probably be more successful with weight loss by eating the books on weight loss than following their advice. Indeed, there are many books on slimming and weight management which are written by people with a poor grasp of science and nutrition. Some recommend extreme diets that are either impractical or downright unhealthy. Some books which you have to pay for, are actually the authors' advertisements for their own products. This book by Christine Avanti is one of the few other than Look Hot, Live Long: The Prescription for Women Who Want to Look Their Best While Enjoying a Long and Healthy Life which I would readily recommend to my readers.

Salads are low calorie foods that help you slim down. Conventional wisdom or common misconception? In this book, Avanti challenges the commonly held belief that eating salads will help you slim down. So why is it that some people can eat "real" food and remain slim while others put on weight just by looking at food?

Avanti explains simply and clearly. By taking so few calories for a meal, you trick your body into thinking that it is starving. Instantly, the body goes into energy-saving mode. This means your metabolic rate goes down. You start feeling cold, depressed, irritable and lethargic. Not only that, the fat storage cells in your body will also be activated so that whatever you eat next will be converted into fat!

To avoid getting the body into energy-saving and fat storage mode, Avanti recommends eating some "real" food (instead of diet food) every four hours - including delicious snacks. The author offers plenty of recipes or "meal plans" in Chapter 11. Then she goes into supplements that can help burn fat, like green tea extract. She then goes into exercise. Again, Avanti is very scientific with her recommendations. She ends the book with things that you can whip up in the kitchen. Not easy to follow unless you have a passion for cooking.

This is definitely one of the more (and there are very few) sensible books on slimming that I have seen. It's definitely worth your time and money. Even if you don't see significant results after following some of Avanti's advice, at least you won't be suffering in ignorance, gobbling up all the salads, only to see yourself putting on more and more weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good to me, March 6, 2012
What a refreshing change it makes to be told that you can indeed eat carbs!!!!

I am having to adapt this plan to my own needs (because I am allergic to cream cheese and cottage cheese and a few other foods on the plan) and don't each much meat, but so far the going is quite good. I followed a set of the meal suggestions to the letter yesterday and I certainly didn't feel like I was on any kind of weight loss plan. I am quite a big eater too.

I drifted off the plan today and feel guilty, but I shall get back to it tomorrow, I missed the normal eating today and feel eager to pick myself up and carry on. It is the easiest plan I have ever read.

I am going to carry this on for a few weeks and see if I can fit into my slightly too tight dress at a party I am attending in May. Watch this space, I will update then!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good advice but nothing groundbreaking, February 14, 2012
First I should note I didn't expect to learn much new from this book, rather I wanted to simply further my knowledge of nutrition and also get a reminder on eating healhty. The book does a good job of dispelling the myth that carbs are bad (they're not!) and pushes a balanced diet of protein/carbs/fats, focusing on eating small meals throughout the day. This is sound advice and the ideal way to eat and live. For me though, sometimes it's a bit restrictive - throughout the book she stresses you must eat within an hour of waking and while I agree this is a great idea, it doesn't work for me as the first thing I'm doing in the morning is going for a run. Often after running I can't eat immediately (GI issues go with running sometimes) so after a bit I'll have a peanut butter banana smoothie, but this is probably 2+ hours after waking. There has to be wiggle room in any eating plan and this book doesn't offer much of that.

Additionally the book includes a lot of short excerpts from her clients - personal stories, chats, emails, etc. These didn't add anything to the book, they become redundant, and it feels like nothing more than filler. Not only that, but these terribly mess up the format when reading the book on my kindle. These little stories are dumped in the middle of paragraphs within chapters - I'm assuming they're meant to at the beginning or end of chapters, not thrown in randomly. Obviously this is a formatting issue but it's really frustrating to read a book that's full of formatting errors.

Overall it's a good book and anyone who's been sucked into the low carb/no carb diet should read this for a well written dose of nutritional education. Or anyone who is trying to stop yo-yo dieting or doing any other extreme dieting. But this book isn't geared toward athletes, rather it's written for someone who likely doesn't make exercise a daily priority (and I'm talking more than your usual 30 minutes on the elliptical). Athletes have different nutritional needs and this book doesn't address them (but it doesn't state it will). All in all, a good book for balanced nutrition information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Information We ALL needed!, January 27, 2012
Seneca R. Green (Lancaster, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm not 100% finished reading this yet, but I have the gist and have read through the menu plans and recipes at the back already. I thoroughly enjoyed the science that Avanti brought to the book, explaining in layman's terms why you need a balanced meal even if you're eating a snack, and what's going on inside your body when you suffer the consequences of bad eating habits, whether it's starving yourself, not balancing meals, or over-eating. This seriously helps to visualize the problems and solutions of every-day eating! My ONLY issues with the book are: 1) Expensive and/or disgusting sounding products in the meal plans -- I don't live in California, the grocery stores near me just don't carry a lot of the natural things she expects customers to get for her recipes, and the non-natural alternatives add unhealthy consequences. As well as that, the special home-made tea she wants you to drink several times a day consists of SEVERAL expensive fresh ingredients. I'm not sure how she expects the average person to go out and buy enough of them to last a week, or go out and get them every day...those expenses add up to more than my budget can bear. 2) She uses her book to market her own products. I understand why she does it, and that she truly believes her products are the answer that will make you healthier, but it just smacks of a scam to me. I just wish that someone claiming to be writing for the purpose of sharing information and helping people would leave it at that, and not use it as a front for their own personal business. 3)She wrote several more books about skinny chicks and their secrets of success, so if you feel like this is your new life plan, you will feel the urge to keep buying all her books. It's like the Land Before Time diet, it just never ends. So in essence, I have a few qualms about the book and its purpose, but it truly does bring very important knowledge to light in a readable and realistic way, and for that it deserves praise.

4.0 out of 5 stars 12 lb's the first month, October 3, 2010
J. W. Davis (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter bought this book and I've watched as she lost weight and bragged to me about it. I bought it and my sweetie has enjoyed the same results. Hope she can keep it up. The foods good and she feel good. Two big plus's.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a vegan meal plan, January 22, 2013
I bought this knowing that the authors are pro vegan, hoping for a meal plan, not the case. Love their other products, this one is just not what I thought it was

5.0 out of 5 stars good read! easy plans, April 6, 2010
Christine makes you feel like you're not alone in your struggle and identifies in such a way that you're encouraged from the start. The plan is easy and adjustable. Christine is believable and credible.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads: Stop Starving, Start Eating...And Losing!
Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads: Stop Starving, Start Eating...And Losing! by Christine Avanti (Paperback - March 30, 2010)
$14.99 $6.00