Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on April 25, 2014
I am the person that hates dieting and has never been able to stick to one more than 2 days! Just the thought of it makes me want to eat more. My husband and I are in our late 40's and have both gained an extra 10+ pounds in the last ten years. I am passionate about cooking and not afraid to try most things. We eat pretty well already with veggies and proteins (or so I thought). I saw Bob talking about his book on tv and for some reason felt the need to order it. I read through the recipes and thought it looked like something I could do. We started on Monday and it is now Friday afternoon. My husband is down 6 pounds and I am down between 4-5! (I exercised hard 4x this week for an hour with cardio and weights) We both feel great! This book works because you are eating large, healthy portions for breakfast and lunch and not getting hungry in between. You need to eat all that is in the recipes. Also, the "no carbs" after lunch rule is a really big help. I'm convinced this really helps to keep the weight off. We have both been drinking more water as well and eating an apple and berries each day as Bob recommended. You will be surprised how many more vegetables and proteins you are eating when you follow this. This is how we all need to eat in order to live a longer, healthier life. We said we'd try it for 5 days but neither of us are feeling cheated or craving snacks so we are just going to continue. Note, I was a huge carb addict and never thought I could stop craving but I have.

We've tried a lot of recipes. Our favorite breakfasts are the avocado toast (you get to eat 4 hard-boiled egg whites) and the eggs florentine. Our lunch favorite is the pesto quesadilla. Instead of the Ezekiel tortilla I used a large whole grain wrap with 1/2 the calories of the tortilla and equal in protein and fiber and much more flavorful. I used about a tablespoon of my own fresh pesto and left off the shredded mozzarella because you can't taste it anyway. Also, used about a teaspoon of fresh grated reggiano parm on top. Dinners have been great for the most part...loved the salmon with creamy dill sauce, mighty meatloaf, and steak and warm spinach salad. Not crazy about the zucchini with avocado cream. Tonight is the spaghetti squash pad thai but with grilled shrimp instead of chicken.

Now that we understand the balance of proteins, fats, and carbs for each meal, we are creating some of our own meals as well. I made a great arugula and spinach salad with roast turkey, tomatoes, red peppers, red onion, and a scallion fat-free greek yogurt dressing for lunch. Lunch today was 2 slices whole wheat toast with roast chicken, a thin slice of deli ham, baby spinach, tomatoes and 1/4 avocado spread on one piece of toast. Snacks have been an apple with a tablespoon of almond butter or yogurt with frozen mixed berries.

I highly recommend this for people looking to change their bad eating habits and getting healthy.
on May 10, 2014
We have used Bob’s “Skinny Rules” for several years now, and his recipes have become part of our daily lifestyle. So we were excited to see more recipes (which means more variety) with the release of “Skinny Meals.” We decided to go “all-in” and follow the menu plan for the first four weeks. Good luck with that. After following the shopping list, we returned home to find at least 10 items left of the listed that will be needed week-one. Further, the recipes lack some of the instructions for preparation or use of ingredients. We are still going to try and make the plan work, but we have filled the margins with notes and additional ingredients on the shopping list. Bob and Ballantine Books, you can do better than this.

Here are the items I have come up with for week one to add to your shopping list:
2 small ripe bananas to freeze for smoothies
1 bunch scallions
11 ounces of ground turkey is called for during the week(list shows 4 ounces)
Unsalted peanuts (recipe calls for 1 ½ tsp chopped)
Whole wheat corkscrew pasta (1/2 cup cooked) pantry list says any type of whole wheat pasta but I was using spaghetti noodles and they didn’t go well with the salad – I may be being picky
Whole wheat English muffins (3 muffins for week per person)
Marinara sauce (if making your own from Bob’s recipe in margin you need 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes besides the other crushed tomatoes used in other recipes)
Hemp Seed
Red curry paste
1 can lite coconut milk (used in two recipes so save extra after first meal)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2014
I just got this book a few days ago, but I have to say that I'm already getting frustrated by the some of this book's faults. I'm only a few days into the meal plan (just breakfast and dinners) but I've already run into some recipes that either leave some instructions out, or recipes where the ingredients weren't on the pantry list, or the weekly shopping list.

For a couple of examples of poor instructions, the pan-seared salmon with zucchini and yellow squash leaves out how to pan sear the salmon, & the spaghetti squash casserole ask for roasted veggies but doesn't tell you what veggies or herbs to use.

For an example of recipes where the ingredients aren't on the pantry list, or weekly shopping list, you can look at the Chicken Curry over Cauliflower "Rice" & Tangy Shrimp with Coconut "Rice" recipes where they ask for "lite" coconut milk. Again, I've only gone through a few recipes for week 1 but I'm guessing this will happen with recipes for the next 3 weeks.

If Bob writes a follow up, I'd like to see him use measured quantities. For example, the Avocado toast ask for 4 hard-boiled large egg whites, chopped. When I finished chopping the 3rd egg white I noticed that the amount of egg whites I had was enough for about two pieces of Ezekiel bread. With the Spaghetti Squash Casserole it ask for 1 small yellow onion chopped, but I can't help but think that an exact measurement like half a cup or quarter cup would be more helpful.

Another thing I'd like to see in a follow up is a weekly shopping list that indicates what meals each ingredient is used by. Like I mentioned above, I'm only making the breakfast and dinners at this time, so I can't help but think that I purchased some items that I didn't need to.

Other than those annoyances, I have enjoyed the recipes I've made so far. I was also able to find most of the ingredients (so far) without trouble, except for the Ezekiel tortillas. Each recipe also has nutrition information, like the total calories, protein, carbohydrates, fat, and fiber.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2014
This is without doubt the single-best diet recipe book ever. I love the fact that there are shopping lists for each week, do-ahead preparation for the week that can be done on Sunday, that the recipes are just for one person and yjsy they produce so much food. Having recipes for just one makes my life so much simpler since the quanitites in the shopping list don't have to be adjusted they way they do in so many books that include recipes with 2 or 4 servings. Having the recipes be for just one also helps me with portion control -- not cooking too much, having left-overs or eating too much. In addition, the recipes for one person produce HUGE meals -- that is, lots of food that is filling and delicious.

I also love that each recipe is for a complete meal -- no need to add a salad or side dish. So far I have found it difficult to eat all of the recommended food in a day but I have really enjoyed it. He uses ingredients I love (like zucchini, spinach, red peppers, raspberries, avocado and salmon) but also has introduced me to some new ingredients and great flavors. The only down-side for me is that it does take lots of time to put each day's food together. But the result of having delicious, healthy food that tastes so good is worth it -- and it saves me lots of money to be eating at home and fixing my lunches each day.

I do agree with some of the other reviewers that there are some omissions that need to be corrected in the next printing or edition of this book -- like not listing "lite" coconut milk for the delicious Tangy Shrimp with Coconut "Rice" for the first week. But I just substituted almond milk that I had in the refrigerator and it was wonderful. Today's Salmon with Creamy Dill Sauce was amazing -- especially the great veggie side of butternut squash, red inion and garlic -- I may decide to make that again tomorrow!

Other recipes I love and have already made more than once include Beef Chili, Turkey Clean Joes, "Makes Me Happy" Egg Salad Sandwich, and, of course Eggs Florentine and Avocado Toast. For many of the egg dishes I substitue two organic, cage-free Omega-3 eggs for the 4 egg whites because I have read so much about how good these egg yolks are for you -- including extra Vitamin D and good fats -- so they contain "good" fats.

Oh, yes, and I am losing weight everyday so I am motivated to stick with it, exercise and refrain from those tempting carbs!
on October 9, 2014
A person following this book’s diet plan will no doubt loss weight, but there is nothing unique or novel about this diet. Like many other diets, it limits calories to between 1,200 and 1,500 per day, calls for very high protein, lots of roughage and whole grains, and limits fats and refined foods. Most people who follow a diet program like that will lose weight.

The problem is, the recipes just aren’t very good. Some just don’t work; for example, sauces don’t come together, or they curdle. Almost all the food is bland because of the author’s obsession with salt; I have yet to find a recipe that calls for any salt at all!

Another problem with the recipes is the author’s insistence on expensive, hard-to-find ingredients for trivial improvements in nutrition: agave instead of honey, almond butter instead of peanut butter, Bragg Liquid Aminos instead of soy sauce, aerosol sprayed olive oil instead of Pam, tempeh instead of tofu, Ezekiel bread instead of whole grain bread, whey protein powder in smoothies instead of Greek yogurt, egg whites instead of eggs, halibut ($12/pound!). That all may be fine at the Biggest Loser Ranch. In the home kitchen, or for people with a budget, not so much.
on August 10, 2014
Not really sure what to write about this, I love Bob on biggest looser so I bought this book thinking it was going to give me some really good healthy simple recipes to start my weight loss journey. Unfortunately some of these items he has listed in the book I can't get and have never heard of. I live in a smaller city that doesn't really carry alot of the odd stuff the recipes call for. We have one "all natural food store" here and its very expensive. Just not sure how this book is going to help me loose weight and eat healthy with in a reasonable budget. Sorry Bob
on June 19, 2014
This book isn't for everyone. My daughter and I wanted to jump start our diet plan, so decided to pick out 3 days' worth of meals and stick with it. Some are quite tasty, but they're "skinny meals"...they are low fat, low carb, low salt recipes. So don't expect Chef Ramsey dishes. We both found it hard to stick with for 3 days (mostly because we missed salt), but we did. And, surprisingly, I lost 7 lbs and my daughter lost 3 (she doesn't have as much to lose as I do). Although we did not continue with Bob's diet plan, we incorporated some of the recipes we loved into our own plans. And of course his "skinny rules" are very helpful. Recommended with reservation.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2014
Using skinny meals along with skinny rules I've lost 20 lbs! And I'm learning to cook. His approach is simplified
on April 28, 2014
My husband and I are in our late 40's and early 50's and we thought we ate well until this book came along. My husband lost 18 pounds in 2 weeks! This book is a must read and it changed our life forever….Thank you thank you thank you Bob Harper!
on April 23, 2014
I guess I didn't pay attention but all these recipes are for 1 serving. I usually don't cook 3oz of ground turkey, I cook the whole package and separate into containers and put the additional meals in the freezer. The recipes are great just need a little tweaking to make additional servings at the same time.