5.0 out of 5 stars Now I wear it all the time
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:08 Mins
Published 12 months ago by Elwood P.

I just installed this, and I look forward to seeing how well this stands up to abuse. I purchased this as I do a lot of remodeling around the home and I'm very tough on watches... I usually balk at buying a $25 watch - I'm not sure how I talked myself into the Galaxy Gear!

Anyway, there were two problems I had with this product
1. A very complex install:...
Published 12 months ago by Paul C. Prunty

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I wear it all the time, October 28, 2013
This review is from: Skinomi® TechSkin - Samsung Galaxy Gear Screen Protector + Full Body Skin Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty / Front & Back Premium HD Clear Film / Ultra High Definition Invisible and Anti-Bubble Crystal Shield - Retail Packaging (Watch)
Length:: 2:08 Mins

Great protector for my Samsung Galaxy Gear watch. Before I got the screen protector I barely took the watch out of the box. I didn't want to scratch it. Now I wear this thing everywhere (I am such a nerd). I didn't even wear my Citizen watch this much because I didn't want to scratch it either. In a way, my Samsung Galaxy Gear watch is better than my regular watch because I really can wear it everywhere. I will point out that I probably won't wear it when I workout or if it rains. That is a negative for the watch, not the Skinomi protector.

Installation: I have to say that I was nervous about installing the screen protector. I borrowed my wife's hair dryer. I went into a calm room where the air was still so hopefully there was not a lot of dust. I also looked up and watched some youtube videos about how to install the product. Everything went fine with the install until I got to the buckle. The face, sides and back went on without any issues. The buckle really stressed me out. My first mistake, I used the hair dryer and blew the freaking protector onto the floor. Don't do that. It really doesn't help things. I took the protector to the sink and washed it off. Then I applied more of the solution and stuck it back on. Then I figured out that if you need to bend around a corner, then the solution almost has to be dry for it to stick to the watch. I guess the buckle is pretty slick cause it would not stick when the solution was still wet. Once the hair dryer dried it the skin stuck on and never let go. I installed the skins in this order. Face, Upper Face, Lower Face, Back, Sides and then the buckle. I would recommend doing it in this order.

Bottom line, this is a great product. You can't even tell it is on there. Exactly what I was looking for. I wish they sold something like this for my Citizen watch. I would buy it.

EDIT 11/5/2013: I still love this skin protector. I wear my watch all the time. I added a video for those of you that are having trouble getting the watch into the charger.

3.0 out of 5 stars Daunting install needs it's own video, full install didn't fit in the charger., October 30, 2013

Anyway, there were two problems I had with this product
1. A very complex install: You can take one look at all the individual pieces with this kit and KNOW you are in for an experience. Thankfully, the instructions tell you to watch the video to see how to do it correctly. The video is great... for doing just the flat screen. It's a nice introduction and shows you the important steps. What it doesn't show you is how to apply the TechSkin to the rounded corners, or what order is best to apply the smaller pieces.

There are 7 individual pieces on this kit. The basic video was helpful on doing only the three pieces on the front. The back piece where the microphone sits has rounded corners... it took me about 20 minutes to get that piece set. I did use the hair dryer on low to dry it out a little so all the little tabs that wrapped the rounded edges finally stick. THIS WAS HARD TO DO - I WANT TO SEE A PRO DEMONSTRATE HOW TO DO THIS.

After that, I was surprised that the part that goes between the wrist and the back face of the watch went on so easily, but it did. The only thing on this part I would wish for is it to be matte to match the finish it is covering. But that is just a small nit pick.

After I finished the whole thing, I went to put it in the charger so it would be left alone while it dried when I discovered...

2. With the face, sides, and back installed on the Gear, the gear does not fit in the charger anymore! This was a little surprising to me, I figured with the intricate cutting they did to fit all the curves correctly it would fit snuggly into the charger. Nope. My charger would not latch closed. I tried for about 5 minutes to get it, but I did not want to risk damaging the only thing that will charge my watch at the moment. It was alllllmost there, but jut wouldn't click shut. I had to remove the covering that went over the back of the watch face, then it fit in fine.

Honestly, not having a skin on the back is not a dealbreaker for me. I'm more interested in keeping the shiny faces free from scratches. This looks like an EXCELLENT product for that.

This is a new product for everyone, so there will be growing pains. Maybe my Mocha Grey charger came from a different mold that the one Skinomi based their design on, and they will alter the design to accommodate the tighter fit. Maybe they will put together a video that shows how to do a complex multi piece install that includes rounded corners. If they did that, I would be willing to rate this at least a 4.5. I would rate a full 5 if the back piece matched the texture of the surface it covered too.

EDIT 30 minutes after initial review: I did finally find a video for the Full Skin. Oddly, it was not under the Installation tab on their web site. I dug down to the Gear area and found a different installation video. While this did address how to do rounded corners, it did not talk about more complex installation order. It was a video that covered a front and back installation. The Gear full skin kit has a Front screen, 4 front trim pieces, back piece, and a separate piece that covers the microphone latch. If there is a video that covers this level of complexity, it should be under the Installation tab on their web site. Since the video is buried and doesn't address the complexity of this kit, I'm leaving my rating at 3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, but won't fit in charging cradle, December 15, 2013
Fitment is flawless. Very clear (Can barely notice that it's on). I gave it 4 stars because after installing, now I can't get it into the close the charging cradle. I guess that's not their problem but would have liked to know this before buying. Have to use a rubber band to keep the connection pins to touch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but doesn't fit into the charging cradle with the full kit applied, December 21, 2013
Skinomi needs to remove the portion of this kit that covers the back of the Galaxy Gear. Once it is applied you cannot put it into the charging cradle. This is not mentioned in their description and I suspect they have or had no clue until now (if they read the reviews). I sent them a message stating the problem and look forward to any reply regarding it.

The kit should be less expensive given how little 3M film they are actually using compared to a SMARTphone kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Note my concerns, but definitely buy it., November 20, 2013
This protector is great. Really strong and super clear. I would have given it 5 stars but for two (2) reasons.

1. Installing portions of this protector was pretty tedious. The screen portion was simple to install, so I believe this product would be a super easy install on larger items. However; with that being said, I feel a lot better having it on my gear. The material is super-tough.

2. There was not a piece to cover my camera lens! They cover most every other part though.

Bonus con - Not really Skinomi's fault, but you should know that, once installed, fitting the watch into the charger is really tight. Not impossible, but tight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but hard to fit in charger., November 24, 2013
Great product. Makes the Gear very very very very hard to fit in the charger have not figure out a fix for it yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do you have steady hands? Do not recommend this, January 11, 2014
Watched YouTube video and studied the application. All worked except the bottom of the skin. Had to discard this as it was not usable. You need the hands of a surgeon to apply this in my opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Fit In Charger After Install, December 26, 2013
Wish the company thought of this before selling the protector. After install all the pieces of this protector, it won't fit in the charger anymore as it is now thick.

5.0 out of 5 stars FULL BODY PROTECTOR, December 17, 2013
Product is outstanding, but full body protector, specifically the back protector, does not allow the watch to be placed in the charger. Without that, you cannot charge the watch. I removed the back protector and it fits like a charm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good protector screen.., April 25, 2014
I purchased this and tried installing it myself and it seem near impossible to get the bottom protector on since its not flat surfaced. the protector itself seems like a good skin and durable but putting it on is a headache..