Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 29, 2009
I installed the Skinomi TechSkin screen protector on my Droid about 2 weeks ago, and I have to say that it is a wonderful addition to my phone. Installation was a breeze and was nowhere near as complicated as other reviews for this product seem to state. Yes, you need to care about the process and be willing to give it your full attention for about 4-5 minutes (that's how long it took me to install it, from set up to clean up).

Installation:
There are clear instructions for how to install it on your phone, including for your phone to be powered off for 12-24 hours. I actually left my phone on during installation and never turned it off; you just have to be careful to not let any of the liquid from the included spray bottle go into the earpiece speaker hole. Also, I was liberal in applying the liquid to my finger tips, which helped immensely in preventing any fingerprints. Immidiately after installation, I could see a few micro bubbles under part of the screen protector, but all these disappeared within 48 hours, and now I can barely tell that there's an extra layer of protection on my Droid.

Use
Before installing the TechSkin, I noticed that here was a small ledge or edge between my Droid's screen and the metal bezel surrounding the screen. Occasionally I would be on a phone call with the Droid pressed against my ear and I would feel this edge digging into my ear, and I found it moderately annoying/painful. The Techskin, after installation, makes this edge much less sharp by bringing the level of the screen up to the height (barely a millimeter, mind you) of the bezel. I feel this was an unintended benefit, as my Droid is a whole lot more comfortable to hold to my ear now.

Also, the TechSkin makes the Droid's screen a whole lot less fingerprint-prone. Before installation, I would find myself cleaning the Droid's screen several times a day. Now, it seems to not attract or show fingerprints anywhere near as easily.

To reply to S. Bagherinezhad's review, yes, I did too notice the "rubberyness" that was mentioned in his/her review, but after two weeks of daily use, either I am no longer noticing this use, or the TechSkin has had a chance to completely cure and harden to the point that it feels smooth and has zero stickiness or rubberyness to it whatsoever. I think that when the TechSkin is new and freshly applied, it may feel a little rubbery, but it fades with time. The protection factor though, does not.

Would I recommend this to a friend with a Droid? Yes, I most certainly would! The ease of application coupled with the added layer of protection for one of the best screens out there on a touch-based phone is much needed.

Tip: when installing, make sure to wash your hands just before spraying them down with the included solution/liquid. Also, be sure your desk or table top is clean and dust free. Take your time and prepare, and your TechSkin will be crystal clear in just a day or two. Good luck!
0Comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2009
Glad I read the reviews of some of the others here.

I applied mine, keeping everything wet with the spray. My squeegee card seemed to have sharp edges so I used an old credit card to move most of the bubbles out. Alignment was no problem and it fit perfectly.

There were a bunch of areas of cloudiness due to micro-bubbles. But, three days later, every one is gone, somehow evidently leaching out through the film itself. The finish is now 100% perfect and only distinguishable from the hard screen by a slight softness of touch.

Have to agree with the previous reviewers, read the directions, clean everything well with a lint free cloth, use plenty of spray, don't press too hard with the squeegee and take your time - no need to rush. Great product.
on January 13, 2010
I purchased this skin and got it applied successfully. It worked well until it got bumped in to a wall and got some paint smears on it. I couldn't get them out so I figured I would take advantage of the lifetime guarantee. When you go to their website they tell you the first step is to register the product, but the product registration link is invalid. I emailed them and never got a response back. I figured I'd try their return policy and see if that got me anywhere. When I clicked on the "Return" link, it was Error 404: URL not found.

It is clear to me that they have no intention of supporting their products once they are sold. It's a good product, but if the company won't stand behind it, I'd go somewhere else for my screen protector. I will never do business with them again.
1212 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2009
This is a great skin. It fits very well almost hitting all the edges perfectly. Like any screen protector, it takes patience and being careful to get a perfect result.

Don't be afraid to spray a lot on the sticky side, and always get your fingers soaked with the applicator spray (your fingers will dry as you apply the screen protector after awhile, so make sure you reapply). Don't try to force out all the bubbles, just get the big ones and all the excess liquids out. The smaller bubbles and the micro bubbles will disappear in a week or 2 (I have had mine on for a week and there is only one small bubble filled with micro bubbles left).

Just be patient, I think I washed my hands about 5 times while getting everything set up, then continuously made sure my fingers were soaked with the spray.

As for the screen protector itself, I have not gotten any scratches on it at all, and it feels like a high quality screen protector. Very pleased with this one.
on December 19, 2009
Let's get one thing out of the way: you have to have patience with this product, both for installation and for it to set.

If you can handle that, let's move on. Almost everything that I am about to say reiterates the instructions, which are detailed and provide optimum results if followed.
- Read all of the instructions that come with it before you begin the process.
- Thoroughly clean the screen. Ideally you want to wipe it down with a lens cleaning cloth and then give it a quick shot with compressed air
- Keep your fingers and the skin wet.
- Use the install card to push the excess air and solution out as you go along (more on this later)
- Yes, the bubbles go away. However, the more you have, the longer it takes. Expect 2-4 days. In the first 24 hours, you will notice that the bubbles have shrunk. They will continue to do so until they have disappeared completely. A majority of the bubbles that I had on mine were only visible when the screen was off, so it did not affect the screen clarity.

A few side notes:
- The reason why the instructions tell you to keep your phone off for 12-24 hours is because liquids (i.e. the solution) and electronics don't mix. It is to allow time to dry in the event that some of the solution gets inside any of the openings in your handset.
- I thought that my install card was missing. I found it after I already installed the skin when I took the box completely apart. What I didn't think of at the time is that a credit card would have been a good substitute. That being said, I didn't use anything to push the excess air and solution out as I went along and I still had good results.
- What the heck is a microbubble? The best way that I can describe them is that they are tiny spheres that don't hinder the feel of the screen as opposed to air pockets or "blisters" that noticeably raise the skin off of the screen. It is possible to have a cluster of air bubbles that can raise the skin but these go away just as the others do.
- The skin gives a little more "grip" to the screen, not enough to where you it changes the feel of the phone. I actually kind of like it for tap functions but it will feel less smooth on slide functions.
- I don't notice any difference in display quality. Without the skin, the display has a very smooth, glass surface. With the skin, it reminds me of the surface of a glossy notebook screen.

This is very different from the generic, trim-to-size, multi-pack screen protectors that just don't work. If you are looking for a product similar to the Skinomi TechSkin, check out Zagg.
on March 17, 2011
I've used protectors on the screens of nearly every portable device I've ever had. From my ancient first-generation Nokia web tablet, to three RIM devices, to the original Droid, to my newer Droid Incredible, I've installed easily 30 or 40 different screen skins. The Skinomi (Skinomies?) on my two Droid phones have been the best accessories I've bought. They really offer REAL protection, where many of the cheaper skins only provided illusory peace of mind.

The "self healing" thing oft mentioned in these reviews is a gimmick; that's probably because it's easier to say than "super-flexible polymer that cushions and compresses without tearing or puncturing and rapidly restores its previous shape." The things are extremely resilient to cuts with just a point or edge. A particularly sharp knife or a pair of scissors will do the job handily, but the corners and rough surfaces of keys or sandy pocket lint don't have a chance. The Skinomi website suggests TRYING to scratch the screen with a key, just to demonstrate this. The key will compress the plasticine film and make a brief dent or groove before even that stretches back out. Air bubbles will "dissolve" through to vanish after a few days. Stretched edges will gradually reform to the correct shape. The material really is ideal for the duty of screen protection. I will continue to buy these products gladly for every device I own in the future.

All of that really is not the reason I came to leave this review, however. Today I spoke again with Skinomi customer service about replacing a product that's starting to come up at a corner I rub idly. It no longer sticks properly and needs replacement. Skinomi's customer hotline (featured prominently on the front page of the web site, no less!) is fast, efficient, and friendly. I spent, literally, less than two minutes; I pressed ONE number to talk to a real person, paid a couple bucks for S/H for the replacement, and was back off the phone before I finished a walk between campus buildings. I know from experience that the fax/email form to do the same is just as fast and simple. In a few days I'll drop the old TechSkin into an envelope and send it back to keep up with my warranty and not have to think about it again for a year or two.

Everyone with a valuable device should have a Skinomi product protecting it. I've used enough cheap eBay screen films to know that they don't protect against jack. The Skinomi protects my precious Droids against virtually everything.

It's also been said before, but I have to add to it, that the texture is smooth and slick. I personally greatly prefer the way my fingers glide softly and without resistance across touch screens with a Skinomi skin to the glass/plexiglass texture of the naked device. It makes games more responsive and the oh-so-slight rubbery give behind the Teflon-like surface provides a little more tactile comfort and control on games or other apps that require a slow and careful touch.

(Update 2/24/2011: On my HTC Rezound, the Skinomi skin is slightly MORE resistant than the super-slick glass used on that phone. The skin's the same texture as on the Droids but they didn't have whatever the Rezound's screen is treated with. I still prefer it, personally; I was getting a lot of accidental screen taps before I bought the Skinomi.)

I hope this helps anyone who is on the fence about buying one of these products. As a poor student who doesn't like spending money on anything (family bought me the phones), ten dollars for an obsequious accessory sounds like a lot but I haven't had even a hint of buyer's remorse. I'd gladly trade any twenty meals of Ramen for the value of my Skinomi skins.
on November 21, 2009
Don't listen to the clown who rated this thing a 1 star. This is a great skin. The 'curing' process take about 24hrs for every bubble to go away. This is clearly explained in the instructions, RTFM.

The skin was cut-out to match the driod and so there was no fussing required to get it cut to size.

The application process is pretty straight forward. clean the screen real good (I use the cloth for cleaning my sunglasses). Get everything good and wet with the applicator spray, then lay it on the device. Use the provided squeege card to align and squeeze out the excess solution and big bubbles.

I didn't even bother to turn off the phone since the only hole for the solution to run into is the speaker, I just was quick to blow out any solution that ran down in there.
on November 29, 2014
I bought this some time ago to protect my screen from spills and some minor scratches. I applied the liquid and the first time it seemed to work although I don't think the bubbles ever quite went away. Second time I purchased I did not get all the right parts of the order and called customer service and they replaced everything nicely. I used the same steps but did not like the results. so I just stripped it off, cleaned off the phone and have used nothing since and you know what....if your careful and take care and watch your phone you don't need the protector.
Yes I have a phone case but I do not use a screen protector and have had zero issues. For good quality customer service I would def use this company if I felt I needed the skins again otherwise I am fine.
on February 2, 2010
Search for Droid screen scratch tests on YouTube. A screen protector of any kind is unecessary - a case protector to protect the rest of the phone against scratches or from drops maybe, but any kind of screen protector is not needed. Also, I kept this screen protector on for about a week. If you do decide to get this protector, I offer two observations.

First, the added layer over the screen seemed to make it necessary to press a little more firmly - kinda like the touch screen lost a bit of sensitivity when the protector was applied.

Second, if you get the full Skinomi droid protector, be careful when you apply the back portions. You need to wet the protector and the moisture can/will get into the back of the phone and turn the moisture monitor red.
on April 27, 2010
At first I freaked out when I tried to apply the skin. Just tell yourself to remain calm. If you don't get it right the first time, you can peel it off and try again. The video addresses the bubble issue that so many seem to have.....I hope its helpful.

See 1 answered question