5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for preschool, but too small for a "big kid"
Published on August 24, 2011 by Maggie

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Designs, Hate PVC
I've always liked the SkipHop lunch bag designs. Have been using this for the past 10 months or so with our new baby girl but just recently wrote to SkipHop and found that they use PVC in these lunch bags. I'll post the response we got from SkipHop customer service but don't just take my word for it -- go and email them yourselves...
Published on September 7, 2012 by Max

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for preschool, but too small for a "big kid", August 24, 2011
This review is from: Skip Hop Zoo Lunchie Insulated Lunch Bag, Owl (Baby Product)
This lunch bag is great. My daughter is 3 1/2 and she already had the owl backpack from Skip Hop. When we enrolled her in preschool she was going to need to take her lunch every day, so I got this since it matched. It IS small, but that is what I wanted because she has to carry the backpack as well. It is perfect for her, but I knew exactly what I was ordering before we got it. My daughter is provided with milk at school so I knew I would not have to send a drink. If you need to send a drink, that may be an issue. The bag is very small. However, I was able to fit a Foogoo/Funtainer thermos across the bottom of the bag with a square Tupperware sandwich container in the top part just fine. This may or may not work depending on how much your child eats! I can put a half sandwich, cheese stick and apple slices in the Tupperware container for my child. That is enough for her, but you may not be able to fit a whole lunch in that size container. If you pack a thermos you could probably fit more in if you used plastic bags or snack bags since they are not rigid containers.

Pros:
-It is small enough for a preschooler without being too cumbersome
-It's very cute!
-Matches the bookbag
-Has a mesh bag inside for holding flatware and/or an ice pack (must be a flat, soft ice pack. not a hard ice block pack)
-label inside for writing child's name and phone number
-zipper goes all the way around the bottom curve so you can completely open the top and the flap will lay open flat, not stick up. Great for packing, it doesn't flop closed.
- The soft sides give a little so you can pack oddly shaped containers without damaging the lunch bag
-The handle on top has a clip so you can clip it to the backpack if necessary.
-Will fit several large rectangle shaped containers for packing bento-style lunches. Just use silicone cupcake liners to divide the inside of the container.

Cons you may notice(which were not an issue for me):
-Too small for a big eater or an older child.
-Will not hold a thermos AND a lunch, unless it is a small thermos and a container-free lunch (will fit a Funtainer and a "sandwich size" square container)
-No outer pouch for a drink or water bottle

For the price you can't beat it. It is an adorable lunch bag for a boy or girl. I can't speak for the durability since we just got it, but my daughter has been carrying the Skip Hop owl backpack for over a year now and it has held up wonderfully. When your child outgrows this as a lunch bag, it would make a great snack bag for outings.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Design is a Hoot, September 17, 2010
knickD (Texas,S.A.) - See all my reviews
I found it hard to find a girls lunchbox that I liked until I saw this one. The design is super cute and has cute colors. It is well stitched. I did not give it five stars, because the lining is not as good as my sons Crocodile Creek lunchbox. The insulation is sufficient, but does not stay as cold as his. It is a little harder to wipe since the liner is not plastic. So there is a trade off between aesthetics and function.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Designs, Hate PVC, September 7, 2012

customerservice@skiphop.com
Phone: 877-4-SKIPHOP or 212-868-9850
(Monday-Friday 10AM-6PM Eastern Standard Time)
Fax: 646-607-1989

"Lilia replied:
Thank you for your interest in Skip Hop!

This item is not free of PVC, but is tested for lead with no levels of lead detected.

We use PVC within the construction of the bag, however its found between the fabric, and your child will not come in contact with this.

We hope this information is helpful!
Skip, Hop, Smile!
Customer Service

**Please respond to this same email with questions regarding your case to avoid multiple case numbers, which may cause delays.

**If you are a Retailer and need assistance or want to open up an account, please email: sales@skiphop.com
**Marketing/ PR/ Press related items can be emailed to: holly@skiphop.com

Skip Hop, Inc.
Corporate Headquarters
50 W 23rd St 10th Fl
New York, NY 10010"

2.0 out of 5 stars Too difficult to keep reasonably clean, March 6, 2013
Mel M. (Southern California) - See all my reviews
My toddler son received this monkey lunch bag as a gift and we both loved it. It's really adorable and just the perfect size for his lunch. The zipper works well, and I like the pocket on the inside. His school has a fridge that the kids can put their lunches in, so I cannot attest to the insulation of the bag.

After a month of use, however, my love for the bag started to diminish. The bag is fabric, and the fabric isn't coated either on the inside or outside. So anything moist or liquid that comes into contact with the fabric soaks right into the fabric and you can't simply wipe it clean. Spot cleaning does NOT work.

Fabric bag + young kid + food/drink = gross and smelly

Unless you have time to thoroughly wash the bag every other day (or even weekly) with soap, water and a good scrub - but if you have a small child, I'm doubting you have the time for that. Or the energy.

Not only does it start to look grimy after a few weeks, but I'm sure it is teaming with more germs than the average parent would find acceptable for their kid's food storage system.

After a couple months, I ended up getting the Crocodile Creek Classic Lunchbox - Solar System 10" x 7.5" , which you can spray with cleaner and easily wipe down with a wet dishtowel to get it reasonably sanitized and cleaned. However, the Crocodile Creek isn't perfect either: the zipper often gets hung up on the bottom corners. It might be frustrating for young fingers. But overall, it's a better choice than the Skip Hop in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Size is great for a 19m old, August 28, 2013
I have included an image up the top. I wanted to show what it holds since I wasn't sure how the size would work for us when I bought it.

Today I packed:
1 bag grilled cheese strips
1 yogurt
2 cool packs from my ameda pump bag

Zips up fine.
My son likes to carry it in by the top handle.
Keeps things cold through a daycare day (not sure if it would hold up in a hot car etc.).

Will update review if any problems occur!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Adults Too!, May 1, 2013
I purchased this lunch bag for my wife who loves foxes. I was afraid it'd be small since it's listed as a child's lunch bag. I was pleasantly surprised by its relatively large size and durable construction. A must for fox fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not into cute - BUT THIS IS FRIGGIN' CUTE!!!, December 29, 2011
I didn't buy this for a child. I bought it for myself to keep bento lunches and snacks in and keep them fresh. I'm 38. I know. I know. BUT SERIOUSLY. I love this friggin' thing. It's sweeter IRL. J'ADORE!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable., August 30, 2012
I bought this to use a lunch bag for my 25 year old self. It's small, but it's enough for what I need. I absolutely love the design... it's also well constructed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit product!, February 25, 2014
BEWARE OF THIS SELLER! We have received a counterfeit item. Look at your products carefully when you receive them and look on SKIP HOP's website to verify that it is the correct product. The wings on ours are white and disproportionate, while the black horns are cheaply cut out and sewn unevenly, rather than stuffed as in the original. My daughter is 7 months old and received these as a Christmas gift for future use, and I only realized it when I read the tag on BOTH the BACKPACK and the LUNCH BAG that we received from this seller back in December. The tag reads "Thelittle …" on both. I thought there was no way that SKIP HOP would have a typo on both of there items, so after further research, this is my conclusion. I am going to initiate a return and see how this is handled. Hopefully others have received the correct items.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a little deeper, May 9, 2011
Very nice quality and the overall design is spot on. The only suggestion, and reason for 4 stars, is to make it a little deeper. A half inch deeper would help when packing lunch w/ ice packs. They still fit but the extra room would be nice.

Skip Hop Zoo Lunchie Insulated Lunch Bag, Owl