Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now HTL

on August 28, 2013
I have included an image up the top. I wanted to show what it holds since I wasn't sure how the size would work for us when I bought it.

Today I packed:
1 bag grilled cheese strips
1 yogurt
2 cool packs from my ameda pump bag

Zips up fine.
My son likes to carry it in by the top handle.
Keeps things cold through a daycare day (not sure if it would hold up in a hot car etc.).

Will update review if any problems occur!
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2011
This lunch bag is great. My daughter is 3 1/2 and she already had the owl backpack from Skip Hop. When we enrolled her in preschool she was going to need to take her lunch every day, so I got this since it matched. It IS small, but that is what I wanted because she has to carry the backpack as well. It is perfect for her, but I knew exactly what I was ordering before we got it. My daughter is provided with milk at school so I knew I would not have to send a drink. If you need to send a drink, that may be an issue. The bag is very small. However, I was able to fit a Foogoo/Funtainer thermos across the bottom of the bag with a square Tupperware sandwich container in the top part just fine. This may or may not work depending on how much your child eats! I can put a half sandwich, cheese stick and apple slices in the Tupperware container for my child. That is enough for her, but you may not be able to fit a whole lunch in that size container. If you pack a thermos you could probably fit more in if you used plastic bags or snack bags since they are not rigid containers.

-It is small enough for a preschooler without being too cumbersome
-It's very cute!
-Matches the bookbag
-Has a mesh bag inside for holding flatware and/or an ice pack (must be a flat, soft ice pack. not a hard ice block pack)
-label inside for writing child's name and phone number
-zipper goes all the way around the bottom curve so you can completely open the top and the flap will lay open flat, not stick up. Great for packing, it doesn't flop closed.
- The soft sides give a little so you can pack oddly shaped containers without damaging the lunch bag
-The handle on top has a clip so you can clip it to the backpack if necessary.
-Will fit several large rectangle shaped containers for packing bento-style lunches. Just use silicone cupcake liners to divide the inside of the container.

Cons you may notice(which were not an issue for me):
-Too small for a big eater or an older child.
-Will not hold a thermos AND a lunch, unless it is a small thermos and a container-free lunch (will fit a Funtainer and a "sandwich size" square container)
-No outer pouch for a drink or water bottle

For the price you can't beat it. It is an adorable lunch bag for a boy or girl. I can't speak for the durability since we just got it, but my daughter has been carrying the Skip Hop owl backpack for over a year now and it has held up wonderfully. When your child outgrows this as a lunch bag, it would make a great snack bag for outings.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2010
I found it hard to find a girls lunchbox that I liked until I saw this one. The design is super cute and has cute colors. It is well stitched. I did not give it five stars, because the lining is not as good as my sons Crocodile Creek lunchbox. The insulation is sufficient, but does not stay as cold as his. It is a little harder to wipe since the liner is not plastic. So there is a trade off between aesthetics and function.
on September 7, 2012
I've always liked the SkipHop lunch bag designs. Have been using this for the past 10 months or so with our new baby girl but just recently wrote to SkipHop and found that they use PVC in these lunch bags. I'll post the response we got from SkipHop customer service but don't just take my word for it -- go and email them yourselves.
Phone: 877-4-SKIPHOP or 212-868-9850
(Monday-Friday 10AM-6PM Eastern Standard Time)
Fax: 646-607-1989

"Lilia replied:
Thank you for your interest in Skip Hop!

This item is not free of PVC, but is tested for lead with no levels of lead detected.

We use PVC within the construction of the bag, however its found between the fabric, and your child will not come in contact with this.

We hope this information is helpful!
Skip, Hop, Smile!
Customer Service

**Please respond to this same email with questions regarding your case to avoid multiple case numbers, which may cause delays.

**If you are a Retailer and need assistance or want to open up an account, please email:
**Marketing/ PR/ Press related items can be emailed to:

Skip Hop, Inc.
Corporate Headquarters
50 W 23rd St 10th Fl
New York, NY 10010"
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2014
I initially was thrilled with my super cute Skip Hop lunch box to tote around my little lady's snack foods. I do love how it is simple to snap the strap around the handle of my diaper bag to keep the two together. The pocket is also nice to store a spoon and napkin or bib, etc. HOWEVER, the fabric inside the lunch box doesn't make sense at all. I would venture to say that milk is a common item that is included in a child's lunch or snack bag and yogurt is possible also! If a drip of milk (or leaky sippy cup!) or yogurt spills in the lunch box it is impossible to remove and over time the lunch box has begun to smell so badly of sour milk regardless of my many attempts to wash, clean, even coat the inside with a paste of baking soda and set it in the sun for a full day. We have several other lunch boxes and small soft side coolers from LLBean, Thermos, etc. and they have a nice vinyl lining that is simple to wash or even just rinse clean. Hopefully Skip Hop will change this design soon.

Update: in my attempt to salvage the lunch box and keep from throwing it in the trash I made a bucket of oxiclean water and soaked it overnight. It came clean and the smell is gone along with the shiny silver "coating" on the inside fabric. Atleast it is useable for dry snacks now. I won't ever be putting any liquids in it again.
on September 11, 2012
I bought the owl lunchbox for my daughter to take on a road trip from Texas to Washington state. It is super cute, but the zipper broke the first week! We were on vacation for three weeks, so it didn't even last for that one trip. I am very disappointed. I expect more out of this company. I love my Skip Hop diaper bag, but these lunch boxes are cheaply constructed.
on August 30, 2012
I bought this to use a lunch bag for my 25 year old self. It's small, but it's enough for what I need. I absolutely love the design... it's also well constructed.
on December 4, 2013
Great way to carry baby bottles, snacks, etc. I've been using it for my baby since she was 6 moths old. I'll rather keep all her drinks and food together when we go out that trying to squeeze it into a diaper bag.
on April 10, 2011
I like how this bag is easy to unzip unlike some and it's even easier to wipe down and clean. I do wish it was a bit larger or maybe had a mesh pocket on the side of the outer part for at least a small water bottle. We use Laptop Lunches Bento Buddies containers inside, while they dont all fit we can at least mix and match.
on August 27, 2013
I love the look of these skip hop lunch bags, and was so excited to get one for my toddler who was starting school. However, I found the bag very difficult to keep clean. the outer fabric on the lunch box became dingy and dirty looking within the first month of use, and even spot cleaning or scrubbing the bag didn't seem to help. What was even worse though is that mold started growing within the seams of the inside of the lunch box after a few weeks as well. No matter what I did to avoid leakage, small amounts of liquids from his lunch would spill out into his bag during the day, and even though I would wipe it clean everyday after school, I kept seeing more and more mold accumulate in the crevices of the seams (it was gross) Sadly, we had to say goodbye to our cute froggy lunch bag. If this lunch box had been easier to keep clean I gladly would buy another, but the cute design wasn't worth the hassle.