Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Color: Monkey|Change

on August 9, 2015
My family and I are moving cross country soon, and I'll be flying alone with my almost 17 month old. 2 flights and one layover got me thinking about the best way to let him get down in the airport while keeping him close. I compared two bags, this one and BricaBy-My-Side Safety Harness Backpack, Green/Blue. Though I ordered that other one initially, I ended up ordering this one also and sending the other one back. Here is my review of them side by side:
Skip Hop Bag:
pros:
-good size. This one is bigger than the Brica, and therefore will be able to be used for more years.
-cute, bright design(s).
-the tether attaches to the outer edge of the bag rather than in closer to the body.
-stiff fabric allows the bag to hold its shape and support itself while sitting.
-the tether and ring it clips onto are both made from metal, so you don't have to worry about plastic breaking
-you adjust the length of the shoulder straps from the bottom, so no neck irritation
-shoulder straps are padded

cons:
-stiff fabric doesn't allow the bag to be rolled and stored if needed.
-small pouch on the side only holds a short, skinny sippy cup easily. Would be better to hold something small like a fruit snack, binky, etc.
-tether is short, and many suggest replacing it with an actual dog leash for more length. I will consider this idea myself.

Brica-
Pros:
-soft fabric allows this to be rolled down when not in use if needed
-perfectly sized for my 30" tall almost 17 month old.
-the pouch on the back is large enough to hold a sippy cup of any size
-the tether is a good length (though the area that expands is really insignificant so I don't factor that into the overall length when comparing this tether to the Skip Hop bag).

Cons:
-soft fabric doesn't really allow it to sit on its own or support itself, so it falls over. This could be problematic if you have a leaky sippy cup.
-the clip attaches closer to the body, rather than the outer edge of the bag.
-tether clip is made from plastic.
-the bag is small, and I think it could be too small for any child over two-ish.
-shoulder straps are not padded, and instead are just nylon straps.
-the straps don't expand much, and I had the shoulders loosened almost all the way to get a good fit on my short son.
-***My biggest issue with this bag is where the shoulder adjuster buckles are located. Instead of being at the bottom of the straps like most back packs, these are instead located at the top. Due to their placement, they rub my son's neck until it turns red. I've tried loosening and tightening the straps, but it changes nothing because of where they sit. This was the deciding factor in me wanting to send this bag back.

Ultimately, I feel like the sizing of the Skip Hop bag will allow this to be used for a longer period of time, using the tether (or leash if I replace it with a longer one) when necessary and later as a backpack. While both are good quality bags, I would definitely recommend this bag by Skip Hop over the other bag.
review image review image review image review image review image
66 comments|137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2013
Really like the safety harness. It is well made and quite cute. The only problem was the strap (leash) part was too short and had to be replaced. Went and brought a pet leash at local store and just changed them out. Works great now and the toddler loves it. Would have given 5 stars if leash was longer.
11 comment|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2013
I got this for my 2 year old (extremely active) son - it does just the trick! I've been through several harness backpacks & all of them are either cheap & ultimately break, or the chest strap rides up on my son when he walks. The wrist strap is reinforced so it's nice & sturdy. The chest strap does not ride up since it's reinforced on both sides. The backpack doesn't hold much which is fine with me. Oh, & it's ridiculously cute ;) Order it!
on October 17, 2013
I never imagined that I would be one of those people who put a "leash" on their toddler but after an exhausting and frankly scary experience at the airport, I decided to try this harness. I love Skip Hop products because both moms as well as kids love them. And this harness is no different. My 18 month old loves wearing it because it is so cute and attractive and makes her feel like a 'big shot'. I don't use it that often, but in those situations where you prefer not to have a "runaway" baby this really does the trick. And now grandma can feel comfortable walking out doors without worrying that my very active toddler might get away from her. We even keep her sippy cup and snacks in it.
22 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2014
Ordered this for my two year old son, it's not overly big but it fits the essentials. So two diapers, wipe case, spare clothes, and a couple snacks. Drink fits perfect in the outside pocket. Would recommend for 3 and under or smaller sized child :)
on May 20, 2015
I have a two year old little girl who wanted a "pack-pack" so we got this one for our flight to Florida. This was our first trip with just the two of us, and a friend recommended I should have a harness/leash in case she gets away from me. I never had to use the leash portion, as she was an awesome traveller, though I was glad to know I had it if I needed it. It's an excellent back pack, the perfect size for a toddler. It fits quite a lot in it for being on the small side. Now we load it with a couple diapers and wipes if we are going on a day trip. She loves this "pack-pack" and so do I.
on March 24, 2015
Love it. Would totally recommend this to anyone. Great quality. Just what i was looking for! I would buy again.
on July 21, 2014
We purchased this backpack before we went to Disneyland, as we have a rambunctious two year old that I wanted to make sure stuck with us. The bag is adorable, and our son really liked that it was a monkey ("like monkey George!"). We were a little nervous that he would get really bothered by the harness aspect, but once he tried it out he was totally fine. The strap across his front was positioned well, so even if he started running away while you're holding the harness, it never seemed like it was choking him (like some other reviewers were worried about). The bag was the perfect size for a variety of snacks, which was perfect for Disney. Whenever we would wait in line he would always have his backpack on, and we could distract him with food. It's small enough though that it didn't seem to bother him to continue wearing it while on the rides. This aspect was awesome because we didn't have to carry anything extra with us while we waited in lines, we could just keep the rest of our stuff with the stroller. Overall, this backpack is both cute and functional: the perfect combo!
on August 28, 2014
This is a cute bag, but it doesn't hold much. It's perfect for a 1 and 2 year old. Clips in front that keep shoulder straps on child are very short and won't fit a large child. Tether is a bit shorter than I'd like, so not extremely user-friendly. If it were even 6 inches longer I think I would have used it more. As my son approached 3, this backpack looks really small on him and the clips in the front don't reach each other, so shoulder straps slide off his shoulder. Clip straps are adjustable, but it's kind of a joke; should definitely have been longer to begin with. Don't think I would buy it again.
on November 6, 2015
Simply adorable. I will admit I always rolled my eyes when I saw children on "a leash." However, when our oldest started walking at 11 months and running by 12 months I quickly realized we needed something. I love that she is independent but for her safety in some public settings a harness was just what we needed. This backpack made for an adorable way to do it. The backpack itself is well made and durable, not to mention adorable. It won't hold a lot but since small toddlers are usually wearing it I wouldn't expect it to. However it can easily fit a spare diaper and travel wipes or some books and a snack.

The only slight downside is the actual leash part is somewhat short. Our independent lady would get frustrated without much range of movement. Depending on the location we add an actual leash to the handle to add some extra length and it works perfectly.