Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Color: OwlChange
Price:$5.97+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on April 6, 2013
I ordered these for my 1 1/2 yr old. They are super cute and a good size for his little hands. However, the paint on the fork chipped after just one use (the spoon is still holding up after several uses/washes). I expected a higher quality product from SkipHop and do not feel comfortable letting my child eat with these utensils in case there is something in the chipping design.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2013
I got this set for my 20 months old daughter. I received them and looked very cute. She only used them about 5 times and were only handwashed but the paint is already chipped....very disappointed
on February 23, 2013
These are great. My son struggles with utensils, but he does really well with these. The handles are large, and the fork and spoon are perfectly sized for small mouths. My son already had the dog plate and bowl to go with these. Thinking of ordering the same set with the monkey to match his daycare bag and suitcase.

Update 2 months later. These have only been handwashed, yet the design is coming off of the handles. Only used about 20-30 times. For the price, I expected them to last a little longer.

Update. Contacted SkipHop. They provided a replacement set. The design started coming off after the first handwash. These are not something I would recommend. This is clearly a defective product.
on April 9, 2013
I bought the monkey utensils for my 15 month old. They are so cute and he started making monkey sounds as soon as he saw them. BUT!!! Within the first couple of uses the paint was scratching off. I hand washed them every time. So disappointing! But Skip Hop customer service is fantastic!!
on May 25, 2013
Expected a better quality from the Skip Hop brand. Paint peeled after just one day. Hand washed. I live abroad so there's no point of contacting customer service. My son really liked the monkey and is disappointed about it. I also bought OXO set and it seems much better.
on May 13, 2013
save your money and buy something else.
The color and print started to peel of after a week and in a month it became almost white.
I don't own a dish washer so its not even that...
on December 7, 2012
This was a cute set for a 2 1/2 year old and it broke after one use. The metal came right out of the plastic base. I am extremely disappointed in the Skip Hop - as i have purchased other Skip Hop products and have loved them. Very disapointing.
on February 9, 2014
They're cute and work, but the design scratches off from regular use very quickly. Within just a couple weeks they look like we've been using them for two years.
on March 18, 2015
I have had these for a couple months, and my son always picks them to use when they are clean. I hand wash my dishes in natural detergent most of the time.. I have not had a single problem with chipping or peeling at all! He is 3.5 years old and still loves to have his own special utensils. Very high quality in my opinion. The owls are totally adorable too!
on March 15, 2013
We had been using the OXO Tot Fork and Spoon Set, Aquawith no problems when I came across this Skip Hop ZOOtensils set and wanted it because of the very cute creatures brightly printed on the handles. I imagined having a nice discussion with my child about the animals at meal time and particularly loved the owl, dog and bee.

When they arrived I thought they looked great. The images are bright, crisp and clear. The set is sturdy and nice looking.

What I do not like about the Skip Hop product compared to the OXO, was that the Skip Hop utensils are relatively flat. The flat handle design makes for an unsatisfying feel for use in the hand (my hand), but worse, the flat surface of the tool for eating isn't functional enough in many cases. While the fork is OK for stabbing foods, the flat surface of the fork doesn't help keep certain foods on the fork that just won't stay on a flat surface (peas, noodles, chicken, etc.). Baby has to balance the food very well to get it into the mouth. The spoon has the same problem; the bowl of the utensil isn't deep enough to hold a reasonable amount of runny foods like soup or purees that you would like to have in a single mouthful. The spoon bowl is also pretty wide nearly to the point of being round.

Another difference between the two utensil brands is that the Skip Hop untensils are a little wider both in the handle and the eating tool. The OXO utensils are a little narrower than wider in the handle and tool, a more similar design to an adult utensil set but in baby size. The wide mouth on the spoon bowl was just a touch large but manageable for our 15 month old. The wide handle on the Skip Hop also isn't the best for our toddler, but the grips around the edges might have added funtionality to an otherwise visually appealing design. Specifically, the Skip Hop utensil handle width is 1-1/4" wide at the widest point, and 10 mm deep. The Skip Hop spoon bowl is just short of 1-1/2" wide. The OXO utensil handles are 3/4" wide at the widest point. The depth of the handle tapers, and is 12 mm deep at the largest end at the tip of the handle. The OXO bowl is 1-1/4" wide.

There is a third bothersome issue. We used the new Skip Hop Owl set daily for less than a month when the design began to wear off. We have only used these for eating at mealtime, and have only hand washed them with Ivory soap and warm water. The color and design is significanlty removed from the surface if the handle which makes it unattractive for our use and not very nice to hand down to another family or to donate- they look beat up. Forget about consigning the utensils in this condition. We used only one set of three purchased and will return the other two.

We went back to the OXO brand that were given to us from another family and bought a few more. What we like about them is that they have a satisfying hand; the handles are curved and have a slightly rubbery kind of tactile surface and feel which makes them easy and nice to handle. The weight is a little heavier and feels right; the utensil is actually easier to manipulate with a proper weight rather than the lighter Skip Hop product. The deal maker between the two though is the deeper bowl areas on the spoon and fork on the OXO brand utensils which helps our baby keep more on the tool and therefore more into the mouth and a better eating experience. The fork and spoon are curved just like adult utensils are, and the spoon is more narrow than it is wide.

I'd like to add that the OXO brand given to us used by another family for a couple of years still looks good enough to use and pass on to another baby.