5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT (If you're not offened by graphic teen sex)
Published on June 3, 1997

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not bring myself to finish
Published on April 15, 2011 by bandwidow

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT (If you're not offened by graphic teen sex), June 3, 1997
This review is from: Skipped Parts (Paperback)
The worst thing about this book was that I didn't own its sequel, so I could start reading it immediately after finishing SKIPPED PARTS. This book's main character, Sam Callahan, is a sexually active Holden Caufield. It satirizes hick life, but no more than it mocks the people who deem them hicks. Tim Sandlin captures the curious voice of a thirteen-year-old, frightfully perfectly. I would recommend this book in a heartbeat. But don't buy only one of the trilogy's books, buy all three of you'll be aching for more without any thing to appease your craving

5.0 out of 5 stars A Picture Perfect Read, January 19, 2000
JT (Pittburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skipped Parts (Paperback)
Wow! That's the best way to describe Tim Sandlin's SKIPPED PARTS. I had heard nothing of the book or its author When i grabbed it off the shelf in a flurry of book buying a couple months ago. Boy, what a treat it turned out to be! I quickly went out and bought the remaining 2 books in the GroVont trilogy and they were ALL outstanding. I've read a good share of books, and i haven't seen characters with this much depth and who were so likealbe (even when they do stupid things)in any other novel in recent memory. Cheers to Sandlin and his great work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, quirky, sometimes sad, but always fun to read, February 19, 2001
Kurt Granzow (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skipped Parts: A Novel (Paperback)
I picked this book up on a whim and I am very glad that I did. I also read the other 2 books in this trilogy but I think that this one is the best of the 3. It deals with coming of age in a humorous and often poignant way. All the characters here are well-drawn and very engaging. I loved getting to know them. For all the humor in the book, it also manages to be sad sometimes as it deals with issues we all face in life. Life is hard sometimes, and it can also be fun, as Tim Sandlin teaches us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably Frank About Teenage Sex, August 13, 2005
Richard L. Goldfarb (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skipped Parts: A Novel (Paperback)
This book is not for the faint of heart. The title, "Skipped Parts", perfectly sums up what the book is about: letting us directly in on the dark, dirty secret that teenage sex and extramarital sex actually occurred in the United States before the invention of the Pill, that there were abortions before Roe v. Wade and they skipped all those parts when they filmed Gidget.

Sam Callahan uses a rich fantasy life to mask the fact that he has had to be father to his own mother because she is too young and immature to take care of herself and her own father treats her like a bought pariah. Exiled to rural Wyoming in the fall of 1963, they survive by building real connections to real people for the first time in their lives. For Sam, the transformation begins on the day of JFK's death, when he comforts Maurey Pierce, the only kid in his grade who can read besides Sam. Maurey's Stepford mother, cowboy father and Dennis the Menace brother drive her to make an unusual pact with Sam: together, they will learn sex so that when they want to have it with someone they really desire, they will know what to do. Egged on by Lydia, Sam's mother, and some of her friends, they learn it quite well, until the inevitable happens the moment Maurey hits puberty. Plot twists that would make J.K. Rowling jealous, humor, beautifully drawn characters, a great sense for the detail of the West and a tremendous understanding of the social mores of teenagers at the time combine to make this a simply irresistible novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not bring myself to finish, April 15, 2011
This review is from: Skipped Parts: A Novel (GroVont series) (Kindle Edition)
I very rarely do not finish a book I start. After reading about one-third of Skipped Parts, I realized that I was avoiding my Kindle because I knew what was waiting for me; so I quit reading the book. I found all of the characters unlikable, except for the poor main character - for whom I just felt extremely sorry and sad. Stereotypes abound as a means of characterization. (Is everyone in Wyoming really a stupid hick??) I enjoy a good sex scene in a book as much as the next person, but between two twelve/thirteen year olds as the boys mother waits for them to finish. No thanks. The review for Skipped Parts said, "Sandlin has created a lighthearted, amusing and tender story of preteen wisdom." I must have gotten the wrong book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Come on down to GroVont, December 22, 2010
This is a very human novel, warts and all. I think most of us would not want to be associated with many of the characters in the book in real life, but within the confines of the printed page Tim Sandlin has created real people that we root for, laugh at, and who make us shake our heads in disgust. In short, the characters are real.
The title "Skipped Parts" can be taken so many ways, but while most readers think the title refers to the teenage sex in the novel, and the way that sex is treated in society, I think it also refers to the skipped parts of society at large. By that I mean the places and people that lots of Americans would rather pretend were not there. I also think it refers to the book's setting; GroVont WY, a place that many coastal Americans just skip over when they take into account American values and mores. If it is not California or New York it does not count, etc.
The realistic portrayal of the characters is jarring especially considering how morally deficient some of them are, and I think that is the point. We are all struggling in this life. Some succeed better than others, and many just get by, in a spiritual and physical sense. I am not especially fond of the protagonist's mom, Lydia, or his best friend/ sex partner (Maurey) but I understand and know them. That is the mark of good writing.
This is the third Sandlin novel I have read, and one of his continuous strengths is the voice of his protagonist, and "Skipped Parts" does not disappoint. The novel's narrator, Sam Callahan, may be only 13, but his voice and humor is one of the text's many high points.
This novel was the first in a trilogy, with a fourth soon to be published, and I will be continuing the journey through GroVont. You should too!

2.0 out of 5 stars good writing, but strong ick factor, May 21, 2011
This is the first Sandlin book I've read. He's a good writer. His writing is funny, quirky, and intelligent. However, the subject of two 13 year olds exploring sexuality in detail - he didn't skip parts - was just too... ick. As much as I enjoy his writing style, and he is a good storyteller, I'm afraid to try another of Sandlin's books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your time or money, April 4, 2011
Sarah E. (Covington, Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after reading glowing reviews. I'm not sure what book all those other people read, but I read a book full of too much detail, too much complaining, and not enough storyline.

The review quoted on the front of the book got it exactly right comparing the narrator to Holden Caulfield. That's exactly what this book is like. If you liked CITR, and his narration style, then you will probably really like this book! Just not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful! Here's Why:, May 23, 2004
This review is from: Skipped Parts: A Novel (Paperback)
This is the first installment of the Gro-Vont Trilogy (however, a fourth book will be written soon) by Tim Sandlin. Tim hails from Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Which is where this book takes place. Oh my lord... this is a beautiful book. Sandlin paints wonderful pictures through the eyes of 13 year old Sam Callahan. Sam journeys through GroVont as a import from North Carolina with a 28 year old chain smoking, drunkard mother, Lydia, who has the best intentions. Sam is the coming-of-age hero of the novel. At 13 and bored in Wyoming him and his new sidekick, the beautiful, Maurey adventure into experimentations with getting to know each other in the biblical sense and get into much trouble along the way. Sandlin's writing is picturesque. Not since Salinger have I seen such a clear picture when reading a novel. I've read this book about 6 times and I get better and better each time using all of my senses when reading. Sandlin invites you to hear and smell and see and feel both physically and emotionally everything that goes on in his novels. I suggest that everyone read this novel and get hooked. I swear you never want Sandlin's books to come to an end. Another Amazon quick-pick I recommend is THE LOSERS CLUB by Richard Perez

5.0 out of 5 stars The next American novel...., June 13, 1997
This review is from: Skipped Parts (Paperback)
This book was an amazing book. I read Social Blunders, the third book in the series, before this book, the first. I had no idea about the other two books when I got Social Blunders... So I read it out of order. Although I read the series out of order, I actually liked it better this way. But on to the review...

I think that Tim Sandlin has created a new American novel. Although it is very satirical, it captures the feelings of broken homes, casual teenage sex, and sexual relationships very realistically. I belive that, fortunately or unfortunately, these "problems" are parts, large or small, of every life in America. The way Tim Sandlin wove all of these ideas together was woderful. I thought that it was especially moving when he talked about the relationship between Sam and Maurey. He captured the naivetè and innocence of youth and juxtaposed it beautifully with the harshness of the tensions that sex and pregnancy bring into a relationship. A beautiful and moving work. I reccomend it fully to anyone. Please fell free to comment on my review or comment in general at my e-mail address that is listed. Thanks...