Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim forum

Skipping COD for Skyrim - why you should too.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 99 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 19, 2011 2:24:48 AM PDT
I know both games are coming out the same week. COD on Tuesday and Skyrim on Friday, but I'm not going to be answering the Call of Duty this year. I can't stand that game. After playing through Oblivion again last month, I find my time is better spent wondering around the magical lands that Bethesda will grant us with. I can't wait for 11-11-11!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2011 8:55:12 AM PDT
Matthew says:
I'll pick up COD when it's under 40 bucks. Skyrim is day one.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 8:02:13 PM PDT
K. Wendt says:
Call of Duty sucks anyway.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 12:59:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2011 1:00:07 PM PDT
What Matthew said. Call of Duty lost its "Day One must-buy" status three or four years ago. Too much market saturation has worn the brand thin.

Whereas...The Elder Scrolls commands all of us to be its bitch right from the get-go.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 1:34:12 PM PDT
Alex Miller says:
I am skipping Call of Duty because of Battlefield. Not Skyrim...

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 1:44:16 PM PDT
Shiori HD says:
Yes I will definitely be skipping MW 2.5. Because honestly that's all it really is from what I've seen. And battlefield looks like it'll be and all around better game than CoD imo. But anyway Skyrim ftw!

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:28:49 PM PDT
Justin says:
Yeah, I haven't even bothered with CoD games myself. I still haven't played MW 1 or 2.
I really just don't care for Multiplayer, & an 8 to 10 hour campaign does not work for me -- Especially at full price. So yeah, Skyrim is day one for me & I barely ever get any games on day one. 300+ hour campaign? Hell yes! I cannot wait! 11/11/11 is going to be amazing.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:32:02 PM PDT
Matthew says:
Also, I traded in a couple of games and had a credit from LA Noire left over. So I got Skyrim for nothing. That's probably the best game for the next year or 2 and it didn't cost me any money.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 6:37:19 PM PDT
@ Matthew:

"Next year or two," indeed. If it weren't for Mass Effect 3 in 2012, that statement would be totally, scarily true. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 6:25:32 AM PDT
Matthew says:
Well the statement was also an opinion. Mass Effect has yet to capture me like Elder Scrolls. But I'm still hopeful.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 11:50:53 AM PDT
Bo says:
I've got both pre-ordered. If I've got a full team of friends for SnD, I'll switch to MW3 for a little while that day.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 9:05:54 PM PDT
I think that anyone who isn't 10 years old, and/or has a brain, will be getting Skyrim instead of COD.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 9:24:49 PM PDT
I'm thinking about getting both, but I'm without a doubt going to spend most of my time on Skyrim!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2011 6:09:35 AM PDT
Matthew says:
I know a few guys who wouldn't have the patience or the know-how to play Skyrim. If they can't instantly kill you with a predator drone then forget it!

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:28:25 AM PDT
Tyler says:
I'm getting Skyrim on day one - MW3, Battlefield 3, and possibly GoW 3 with any money I get for Christmas, though I'll most likely be playing Skyrim non-stop for a long time.

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 1:27:34 PM PDT
"I know a few guys who wouldn't have the patience or the know-how to play Skyrim. If they can't instantly kill you with a predator drone then forget it!"

Too true. I have several acquaintances who are total "FPS Doug"-types, mindlessly fragging 24/7 on CoD multiplayer, or whatever the latest shooter du jour happens to be at that particular moment, and whose eyes instantly glaze over the minute I talk about The Elder Scrolls or any other RPG out there.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 5:52:35 AM PDT
Peragulator says:
Comparing Skyrim to any Call of Duty game makes no sense. MP is a huge part of the MW series and there are a number of clans based around this title.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 6:03:22 AM PDT
RoadKing says:
So a certain group of people who play video games is smarter than another group based on the game they play? Mind you they are all games, all not real and all meant to entertain. I am fairly positive there are some very smart people playing COD that just happen to enjoy it for the entertainment it is suppose to be. Apparantly you believe that some people aren't smart enough to run around a make believe world and fight dragons, lmao.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2011 8:49:17 AM PDT
Tyler says:
Same here. I find that most people either completely love RPG's or find them very boring

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 11:39:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2011 11:40:14 AM PDT
More that those many of folks are total adrenaline-junkies who live for the insta-kill-gratification experience, and who don't have the patience for a meaty, lengthy, time-consuming RPG series like The Elder Scrolls. Which is fine, too. Not saying that those games don't have any merit (I've spent my own share of time with them), but that certain gamers are built differently from others, in terms of preferences.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 6:29:45 AM PDT
Tyler says:
Various RPG's, MineCraft, etc....you really don't have to be in any set mood to play them. FPS's, on the other hand, need you to be energized and ready to rip someone's throat out. Though I too have put many hours into CoD and such, I now find RPG's more enjoyable in a lot of categories, but that's just me. The whole point of video games is to play what you want.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 8:27:00 AM PDT
Sean Jordan says:
I'll be getting Skyrim and Arkham City for single player and Gears 3 for multi.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 10:56:21 AM PDT
K. Stewart says:
im just very glad that Dark Soul's is coming out a few weeks before skyrim, that'll give me time to play that a good bit rather than having Skyrim compete for playtime with it

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 10:01:35 AM PDT
C. Jackson says:
Battlefield 3 and Skyrim for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 2:44:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 2:46:22 PM PDT
Foxdrake says:
Laws yes! BF3, Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 (technically that one's next year so it doesn't count) but I pre-ordered all three.

NOT Modern Warfare 3. Why? Pay to play? Monthly fees like Warcraft? NO THANK YOU! And I'm a MW1, MW2, WaW and BlackOps owner (though Black Ops is just terrible).

Screw MW3! I'll rent or get on the bargain rack in 6 months. Monthly fees? They have got to be delusional at Activision.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  58
Total posts:  99
Initial post:  Jul 19, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 27, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about