Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon September 25, 2009
Holy hot tamales, is this book fun! In the latest installment of Skippyjon Jones, our fearless kitty boy decides he is going to travel to Mars, because it is the "red" planet, and red is his favorite color. Like all adventures before this one, he heads to his room, into his closet (with Mama June Bug's bottle of red spice), and he's off in his imagination to the planet Mars. His old friends are waiting there for him, but a new surprise is too. Meet Martian-ito Skippito--Skippy's martian counterpart. Just like his Earthly counterpart, Martian-ito Skippito also has ears too big for his head, his head is too big for his body, and he has the same affinity for using the word "dude". It's Skippyjon's twin and Skippyjon couldn't be happier! The only differences between the two is that Martian-ito Skippito is red, and has only one eye. He is appropriately named "Uno Ojo". Our favorite Kitty Boy thinks he has found his karmic match until a battle for Skippy's favorite sock monkey ensues with Uno Ojo. Skippyjon ends up catapulting himself back to Earth where Mama June Bug is waiting to serve him his dinner, a delectable dish his sister Jilly Boo calls Tuna Poodle casserole.

I love all of Judy Schachner's books in the Skippyjon series, and this one may be her best yet. She still writes phonetically to get the reader to use the voice inflection intended for the Spanish accent. It it seems she may have toned down that part of her signature trademark just a bit this time around, but not in a bad way. She has also added more "authentic" Spanish words to the story, so your child has a chance to learn some new words as the story progresses. Additionally, the book comes with a CD attached to the back cover that makes it fun to use for read-alongs in the car. Children who are Skippyjon Jones fans, as well as kids who love outer space adventures, or just love silly humor will enjoy this book. As usual, it was laugh out loud funny for my kids from start to finish and we can not wait for the next Skippyjon adventure to begin.
on September 23, 2009
Skippyjon has once again had an amazing adventure in his closet. My daughter already has several parts memorized. If you do not yet know Skippyjon I would say this is a good place to start. It has all the imagination of the other books and keeps with the theme of stuff kids would like to do, (go into space, travel back to mummy time, meet dinosaurs.) Skippyjon I love you.
on October 9, 2009
We are big fans of this series, but this one tops them all! We are having so much fun reading this book. We've read it three times and only brought it home a couple of hours ago. We are still laughing at the lines. I'm pleased to say our 8 year-old even got the "Major Tom" line.

There's more Splanglish/Spanish silliness than any of the others. There are also a few treats that parents will find - little sub reference nuggets from the past. Thank you, Judy Schachner. We enjoy her books when children spend the night.
on July 28, 2015
We love Skippyjon Jones. We have most of the books and about half of the audio books. They are all amazing. The book and audio book of Lost in Spice deserve five stars.

This review is for the Kindle version only. What a mess. I downloaded it to read on an Ipad Mini when we had an unexpectedly long wait in a public place and forgot the usual kid entertainment. The need to roll over each block of text in order to see it large enough to read causes a problem when the enlarged text blocks the next section to be read. It was really frustrating. We couldn't even get through the whole book. Of course since you cant return a kindle book, we are out $9 and Amazon has no feedback about a product makes both the book and the platform look really bad.
on June 11, 2011
We first encountered Skipito at a fellow Spanish teacher's house. She reads it to her child and insisted upon reading it to me and my children. I was blown away! I could not believe that an entire series of books like this existed! Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese kitty who thinks he is actually a Chihuahua named Skipito! If that's not adorable enough, his closet is a magical place where he and the banditos encounter all sorts of fun adventures. This particular book focuses on his adventure in which he gets lost in.... SPICE! Not space, oh no! Spice! Ha! I am afraid that some of the parents complaining about the book and series are those who take reading with their kiddos far too *seriously*. Alliteration and phonetics and silly rhymes are the focus here, and they are what make the naughty little gatito Skipito and his misadventures so much fun! It's like singing the name game, or playing down by the bank, etc. They are nonsensical fun things that also help children LEARN. As for the book being non-PC, we were not offended at all. Culturally, Skippyjon Jones would technically be considered Asian. But his cultural identity crisis causes him to make believe he is Mexican/TexMex/Chicano. The author does an excellent job with the word use as well, in my opinion. I think the purpose and point is to MAKE the parent's reading sound silly and exagerrated! The kids are supposed to be laughing, that's the point people! If you are reading Lost in Spice or any of the other Skipitio books and you and your little ones aren't dying of laughter and enjoying the time you're spending with one another... well folks, that's YOUR fault, not the author's. :)
on May 17, 2011
Our 4 year old discovered Skippy Jon Jones at preschool this year and fell in love with him. We borrowed all of the books from the library and discovered the cd's that came with them. The cd's are essential if you have never read SJJ otherwise reading the books may leave you wondering "what the heck is this???". It is goofiness and very catchy rhyming that any kid should love.
on July 13, 2013
I love Skippyjon Jones Books. I buy every one and own every one. I have been reading them to my elementary students for years now. They are funny and the illustrations are precious. The students even learn a few words of Spanish and read in your very best Spanish voice, you will have the kids laughing. It's a great interactive book that has imaginations going wild!
on September 3, 2013
I love silliness, humor, and fantasy esp. in children's books, but this doesn't hit the mark. My LO was ready to shut the book after the first couple of pages and he loves cats. I forced myself through several more (my LO left the room), but I liked it less and less as I went on.There are all kinds of things wrong with these books. We checked this book along with 2 other Skippyjon Jones books.
1. It is way too wordy for the age it is supposed to appeal to. The story is tedious.
2. The illustrations, though well drawn, are too busy. So much going on in each page that my child does not like even looking through the book
3. Skippy's sisters make fun of his large ears and the fact that he pretends to be a Chihuahua. There is no resolution to this social aggression.
4. There is Spanish thrown in there that doesn't fit in, and worse it is incorrect.
5. The names of the sub characters are long and ridiculous. Perhaps the intention was silliness, but it ends up as repelling.
6. There is a lot of stereotyping. ie. the sisters help the mother in the kitchen, but Skippyjon doesn't.
7. There are made up words all through it.
In conclusion: if you really want to try it, then get it from your local library. It is overworked, confusing, tiring: not fun at all. It certainly doesn't support my family's worldview. It is a tsunami of a child's book.
on July 15, 2015
These childrens' books are hilarious and enjoyed by both the reader and the child! You do need to read with excitement and an exaggerated accent so that the child will laugh and chuckle as Skippyjon Jones and his family come alive in the pages!. Some of the books have a CD by the author included, which is a positive escape plan for the parent or grandparent who might lack the skills of becoming Skippyjon Jones. Prepare to travel on this kitty's journey through the closet and into his imagination and magical world!! You won't regret it!!
on April 7, 2016
The plot of this book is very complicated, and just completely nonsense, and not in a fun way.

Add to that the made-up "Spanglish" words, like "tweens" (for twins) and "weeeck-ed" (for wicked), adding more confusion to the mix. Sure, there are a few actual Spanish words but there are also errors in the Spanish.

I had the misfortune of listening to the CD, in which the author reads the book allowed, and uses a cartoony "Mexican" accent which is very outdated and insulting.

I want my kids to learn Spanish, but I don't want them to learn that other cultures are a joke. A fake Mexican accent isn't funny to my 5 year-old, and it's just not funny at all.
review image