1,325 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars works like a charm
YOU HAVE TO USE THE ADAPTER FOR GALAXY S3...
Published 14 months ago by Yvonne

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy cable... at best.
I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 and was looking for a simple solution to mirror my phone on my TV. Researching the topic, I became familiar with the fact that 'new' Samsung phones (S3, S4, S5, etc.) require a special 11-pin adapter to work with standard MHL cables. The cable set specifically note that the adapter is included.

These cables have very polarized review...
Published 19 days ago by Christopher J Kraszewski

5.0 out of 5 stars works like a charm, June 30, 2013
This review is from: Skiva MHL Micro USB to male HDMI cable (6.5 feet) for Samsung Galaxy S3 (SIII LTE i9300 L710 i747 i535 T999), Samsung Note 2, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, HTC One X, LG Optimus HD and other MHL Devices (HD-X3) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
YOU HAVE TO USE THE ADAPTER FOR GALAXY S3...
So I'm the idiot that figured I didnt need the adapter because the cord fit just fine without it, well this way of use makes the cord a fancy charger but HDMI is of no use, I was a step away from sending it back when I thought alright let me try the adapter, the picture pops right up, you will have to use your phone in landscape mode to avoid having black strips run up each side of the screen, but other wise this cord works great, I can view every thing from my phone to my television, I was skeptical to buy this at first due to some of the bad reviews, and when I initially thought I was having the same problem I was ready to return, NOW I wonder how many of those people made the same mistake I did because the cord fit without the adapter... Use the adapter, works perfectly... AGAIN if you have the Galaxy s3 you WILL make use of all the cords provided in the box in order to properly view HDMI to your television

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS! You Need An Adapter For Galaxy S3/S4/Note 2 INTERNET (Mobile & WiFi) WORKS, April 27, 2013
Length:: 2:02 Mins

I'm writing this review in response to those giving 1 star for it not working with the Galaxy S3/Note 2. First off, the Skiva Product Description DOES NOT state it will work with these phones. don't blame the product when you failed to read EXACTLY which phones it is intended to work with. The Galaxy S3 and Note 2 use an 11-pin connection, this a 5-pin connection.

Now, you can get this to work, BUT YOU MUST get a 5-pin to 11-pin adapter available here: [...]
There are two versions (product IDs) for this, and either one will work. I would recommend a Samsung branded adapter over the 3rd party adapters, considering the price is so low on the Samsung product.

Once you have the adapter this product works extremely well. The connection is instant, stable, fast and beautiful. I've posted pictures with my Galaxy S3 mirroring on a Samsung PN51E550 3D TV. There is a roughly <.5 second lag in applications, but video playback is flawless with sound syncing to video. My intended use is for my TV to act as a monitor while using the Galaxy S3 to film webcast. Tested and perfect. The build quality is up to par, no worries about it falling apart in a couple of weeks/months.

I followed these hook-up instructions and had a perfect setup within 5 minutes of UPS dropping off the package.

1. Attach USB to power source - wall charger, battery pack or, TV USB if it supports charging.
2. Attach TV HDMI to available port.
3. Attach USB-mini to phone. You may see a pop-up saying HDMI has been attached.
4. Switch HDMI source on TV to attached port.
5. That's it!

In conclusion, KNOW WHAT TYPE OF CONNECTION YOUR PHONE USES, 5-pin or 11-pin. If you need an 11-pin get the adapter. Don't leave a 1 star review because of your own negligence.

UPDATE: 1.) I now have the Galaxy S4 and this still works flawlessly when paired with the 5-pin to 11-pin adapter. 2.) A poster stated that they were unable to use their mobile data while connected to the adapter. This is NOT the case for me. I believe this is a phone or carrier issues, not the adapter. I am able to use any data connection to access content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a bargain if you need the 5 pin MHL adapter, October 31, 2012
C.R.U (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
This cable works exactly as described and eliminates the need to carry extra hdmi/charging cords. It is very high quality. Much better made than I was expecting, to be honest. I'm going to use it on 2 phones, BUT....make sure you need the 5 pin mhl to hdmi cable and not the new 11 pins needed for the Galaxy Note 2 or the GS3.

I have a new Galaxy Note 2 and didn't do my research before purchasing this. I'm now glad that I made the mistake because I can use this with my wife's Galaxy Nexus (which takes the 5 pin)...and with my Note 2, after buying a small 5 pin to 11 pin adapter that fits on the end of this cord.

The adapter costs about 8 bucks, and even adding the price of both, I come out cheaper than buying one of the other mhl to hdmi cables...AND NOW I CAN USE THE 5 PIN OR 11 PIN. So if you are in this same situation, purchasing this Skiva cable and the extra adapter is the way to go for maximum compatibility with every phone you come across.

I would recommend that Skiva make a note under the product specs to "make sure your device takes the 5 pin mhl."

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed (HTC One M7), May 29, 2013
Just received this product today and already loving it. The charging feature clearly sets it apart for similar products that only give you an HDMI connection. And considering it is currently only $13, regular $50, it is a steal. If you have a nice smartphone with video and want to impress friends and family or have a quick, backup presentation solution, this is a no brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product that works really well with my cell phone., March 3, 2013
Just received the item. Great product. Works well with my Samsung Note 2. Good quality materials, and fast shipping. Overall, I'm very pleased and would highly recommend.

Make sure you follow the instructions and use the adapter supplied if you have the Note 2. I initially plug it in to the tv and my phone without the additional adapter (since it fits), but it didn't work. YOU HAVE TO USE THE NOTE2 ADAPTER for the tv to recognize it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy SIII to Panasonic Viera, June 20, 2013
I initially posted a bad review for this, or so I thought, but now I can't find it. Anyway, I couldn't get the connection to work and the company was not quick to respond. However, they finally did, with this, and the first part about really jamming the connector in is what worked. I didn't find this info on their website so I'm sharing it here.

First of all, make sure that you press adapter firmly to the phone. You need to apply little pressure to get the secure connection.

Problem: Nothing is appearing on TV
Solution:
1. MHL adapter requires external power to function. Please connect your device's charger or any standard micro USB charger to micro USB port on
the MHL adapter.
2. Before connecting the MHL adapter to your device, make sure TV input is set to the right input source. Some TV may require switching to different
input first and then back after MHL adapter is connected to your device.
3. When MHL Adapter is connected first time, some devices may need a reboot

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful!, September 20, 2013
I use this HDMI cable to connect many devices to many different HDMI TVs and monitors. I will give a short list of devices that I can personally vouch for while using this HDMI cable. Devices: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active phone (AT&T), HTC One phone (AT&T), Google Nexus 7 tablet and Google Nexus 10 tablet. HDMI Inputs: Optoma HD25-LV 3D Projector, Sony KDL 70" 3D TV, Samsung UN65 65" UltraSlim 3D TV, Samsung UN46 46" UltraSlim 3D TV, ViewSonic VX27 IPS 27" monitor and Dell UltraSharp U27 27" monitor (work monitor). I have mixed and matched as these devices each have specific purposes, such as movies or gaming, and the TVs/monitors are spread throughout my home. I was so happy with this cable that I purchased one for nearly every TV I own. I would highly recommend this MHL cable to anyone. Also, note that it has the 5 pin to 11 pin MHL adapter cable to support both older and newer devices. Customer approved! Thank you again, Amazon, for your speedy 2 day Prime shipping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Skiva 6.5 feet MHL (Micro USB) to male HDMI cable, January 17, 2014
This cable is great!ITs made out of good quality and the price was very good.It allows me to connect my Galaxy SII to my large screen TV and stream movies or look at photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one actually works!, July 10, 2013
Bought this to connect my Samsung Galaxy S3 to my HD TV and it works fabulously! I had purchased a much cheaper one that went out in like 2 months and the picture would go in and out toward the end. It just goes to show that sometimes you really get what you pay for. Now I can watch Netflix through my phone directly to my TV in HD with no other devices or services. Wonderfulness!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy cable... at best., August 27, 2014

These cables have very polarized review scores. Lots of folks report the cable works perfectly. Lots of other say the cable is useless. And, a few folks state you have to follow very specific steps to get the cable to work correctly. I was reluctant to pull the trigger on purchasing these cables, but, ultimately decided to make the purchase. Sadly, after attempting to use the cable, I fall squarely into the 'cable is useless' category.

* I've tried following the manufacture's directions to the letter. The cable doesn't work
* I've tried following advice from other reviews of the product. The cable doesn't work
* I've tried my own permutations of hooking up the cable in various orders. The cable doesn't work
* I've tried using different USB/AC power adapters to power the cable. The cable doesn't work
* I've tried plugging into various HDMI ports on various TVs. The cable doesn't work
* I've tried NOT using the supplied 11-pin adapter in the hope that somehow my S3 magically had a 5-pin connector. The cable doesn't work
* I've tried using a Galaxy S4 (with and without the 11-pin adapter). The cable doesn't work
* I've tried using a Galaxy S5 (with the 11-pin adapter). The cable DOES work. Wait... what?!?!

So, yeah, Galaxy S5 works without issue. That made me wonder why. The best theory I can come up with is that the Galaxy S5 uses a more recent revision of the MHL standard that DOES NOT REQUIRE external power for the cable to function (aka passive MHL). The Galaxy S3 and S4 use an older revision of the MHL standard that requires external power for the cable to function properly (active MHL).

It's been pointed out by other reviewers that this cable tends to charge phones at a snail's pace, even when not connected to a HDMI port mirroring the display. My experience confirms the slow charging. Besides seeing the battery charge at a trickle, the phone software, itself, reports that the phone is only 'trickle' charging. This slowness was confirmed across 3 different AC adapters (one of which is a rather beefy tablet charger) that have no issues quickly charging my phone when plugged into a quality USB cord.

My conclusion is simple: The USB charging cord that comes attached to this product is either (1) defective, (2) built with cheap/unreliable parts to cut costs or (3) both. The USB charging cord cannot pull enough juice to supply power to both the phone and the MHL-to-HDMI cable. As a result, the MHL-to-HDMI portion of the cable fails to work. I'd speculate if the manufacture had spent an extra $0.03 per USB charging cord, the cables would work without issue.

Sooooo... if you have a phone that works with passive MHL (like the Galaxy S5) this cable will probably work wonderfully for you. Similarly, if you have a phone that requires active MHL and doesn't require much current to properly charge (i.e. to not 'trickle' charge), this cable will probably work for you. If you don't fall into one of those categories, I'd say you're looking at a craps shoot. If you're lucky enough to get a 'good' USB charging cord attached to your cable, things will probably work. If you're unlucky, you'll have a rather useless cable on your hands.

As a result of my experience, I feel that I can only give this cable 1-star and recommend everyone to steer clear of it. The company clearly states it works with a boat-load of specific devices. It clearly does NOT... unless you're lucky enough to get a 'good' one. That's false advertising in my book.

Rate and Discover Movies