5.0 out of 5 stars Good shave, great customer service
It is not always able to get as close as using a blade, but when used together with one, is much easier to keep my head shaved down bald.

Update: 1/30/2013
Published 19 months ago by N. Gale

1.0 out of 5 stars A Good Idea Poorly Executed
This is my first review of a product and I wish it could be a more positive one. So I will do my best to be positive in tone, if not in content. Perhaps Skull Shaver works well for some people, but I’m not sure who that would be. So here I go with the standard Pros/Cons list:

Pros:
1. This thing looks really nice in a photograph online. If I...
Published 18 months ago by James Espy

5.0 out of 5 stars Good shave, great customer service, January 29, 2013
N. Gale "Nick" (Belle Fourche, SD) - See all my reviews

Update: 1/30/2013
Have been using the shaver nearly daily since I first opened it. I have found that with regular cleaning, daily use & a razor touch-up about twice a week, I can easily keep my head shaved down bald. So far, using only a cocoa butter cream, I have had no razor burn or dry patches. I am not a naturally balding person, so I put the blades through a pretty good workout & so far they have held up really good. Will try to remember to update this if I ever have to get new blades (if that is even an option).

Update: 2/5/2013 (Upgrade to 5 stars)
While washing out the heads, I let the middle one slip from my hands & down the drain. Pulled the pipe, but it was light enough that the water must have pushed it on through. I sent an E-mail on a whim to see if they would be willing to sell me just the center head, so I would not need to purchase the entire piece. Within an hour, I had a response from, John Lyles, who is Skull Shaver's inventor & partner, that a new head was being shipped to me & no worries. I love that kind of customer service, where they get the WOW factor from me. Just another reason that I recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Good Idea Poorly Executed, March 1, 2013
This review is from: Skull and Face Electric Shaver (Improved)

Pros:
1. This thing looks really nice in a photograph online. If I really wanted to impress my friends, I would post a picture of it for them all to see!
2. This product will give me the opportunity to learn more about Amazon’s return policy (very excited to be expanding my horizons in this way!).

Cons:
1. It does not hold a charge for very long. Supposedly it will last for four or more shaves, but I’m lucky if I get more than two. I guess I should state for the record that my head is normal-sized (relatively).
2. When the charge dies, you can’t use it until the batteries have enough juice. It will not run on the cord. This is a really neat feature when combined with no battery charge-level indicator of any kind. Why is this neat? Because it will unexpectedly introduce you to new ways to style your hair (think topiary art meets chemotherapy). This is exciting because, unless you have a backup shaving system of some kind, there is a good chance you will be able to share your new look with others and get their feedback.
3. I used to shave with a blade once a week, letting stubble grow in between shavings. This machine won’t work with more than two days’ worth of growth. Though this means that I have to take more time out of my life to shave my head, it has really helped me improve my self-discipline because I know that if I wait until three days, I’m screwed.
4. This shaver needs to be cleaned a lot. The cartridges that hold the razor heads are the same size as a shaver for your face. Now, I’m one of those guys whose face has much less shaveable surface area than my scalp (I know, odd, but chicks really seem to dig it), which means these heads fill up with shaving scraps really fast. And as they get full, those scraps pour back onto your head, your shirt, the floor—you get the idea. As it shaves stubble, it paints the area you’re shaving with stubble. So you never really know for sure that an area is shaved.
5. Cleaning this machine is no problem, if you only had to do it every once in a while. But since you must do it every shave (and sometimes in the middle of the shave), it can be a hassle. The shaver disassembles easily, but you end up with a lot of little pieces that have an attraction for sink drains that defy physics. If you had a single piece that you could take off, tap out, and then put back on, that would be easier.
6. Finally, this thing just doesn’t shave well. My head feels like sandpaper afterwards (a fairly coarse grade if you want me to be specific), and while that may be helpful to a woodworker, my wife doesn’t like it as much. Furthermore, it doesn’t respond well to the contours of the skull. My head isn’t terribly lumpy, but I’m still left with swaths of dark stubble in concave-ish areas when I’m done. I find that I have to go back over my scalp with my face shaver to finish the job.

All-in-all, this seems like a good idea poorly executed. I suggest SkullShaver hire some bald men and put them to work on the next generation of shaver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a shaver that works on bald scalps!, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Skull and Face Electric Shaver (Improved)
I was really happy to see that my Skull Shaver arrived last evening - less than 24 hours after ordering from Amazon. Perfect timing as I had a big men's night event at the country club last night. I have to admit that I was very skeptical about the Skull Shaver's abilities since my normal daily routine is to shave with the Braun Series 7, and then shave using foam/gel and the Quattro razor. NOT ANYMORE!!! Even while gliding the Skull Shaver across my head and face I didn't feel the typical pulling sensation which I had falsely assumed was the actual shaving process. After nearly ten years of shaving my head I have seen the light. No more need to have n electric razor pulling and rashing at my skin. Instead of leaving patches of un-cut whiskers the Skull Shaver did a remarkable job of evenly shaving all areas of my scalp and face. Leaving a smooth and clean look - rash and discomfort free. Not only saving me time
but a considerable cost in blades. Simply put - this is a remarkable product!

1.0 out of 5 stars A Good Idea That You Should Not Buy, April 28, 2014
JF (Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skull and Face Electric Shaver (Improved)
I loved the idea of this shaver. I wanted to transition from wet shaving for convenience, especially when traveling. I liked the idea of a dedicated electric head shaver. The first one I received (January 2014) had a bad battery (I'm guessing) as it would turn the heads for about 5 seconds and then stop. Skull Shaver's customer service was excellent... they sent me a new one immediately and were communicative. I give them props as a company. I just wish they would fix the product. Here are the problems with the skull shaver from my experience:
Battery: the battery life is about one whole head shave for me. Recharging takes hours.
Motor: this shaver is very, very weak. It feels like it has a dying battery all the time. It stalls and clogs on two day old beard.
Head: the head has a cool and anatomical configuration, but it is difficult to clean (even after using it for three months). It takes about two minutes for me to clean and reassemble it. There are five heads to individually remove, and cleaning them is tricky. I often use a toothpick and tweezers to pull things out of it. It has such a small volume you must clean it every single time you use it. The head also leaks shaving particles... I found that out while shaving just before a meeting, and my white shirt was covered with peppery black bits. I wore an old t-shirt for shaving with this.
Performance: it's a pretty close shave, but irritates me everywhere, something that has never happened to me with any other shaving tool. It is also so slow that I generally go watch TV while I shave.
Size: it's a big lump, doesn't fit in a travel bag, and is really quite heavy.

After three months (wish I had stopped and returned it after a week or two), I have given up and replaced it with a Panasonic linear motor unit: (this is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DKKBRY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005DKKBRY&linkCode=as2&tag=flammapscart-20)

The Panasonic has yet to irritate me, is about three times faster than the Skull Shaver (yes, I timed it), appears to go weeks without recharging, takes about 5 seconds to clean, and is only twenty bucks more. It is also wet-dry and fits in my travel bag. I would bet the lower end shavers of that line would be similar, if you do not want to spend the extra.

I'm tempted to try and replace the Skull Shaver battery pack and motor myself, to see if I can improve it. But the head cleaning is such a pain it's not worth tinkering with. Again, I like the idea, but this is really more like a prototype, and some design changes might make it a winner. Just don't invest your money in their R&D.

1.0 out of 5 stars not the best performance in shavers, May 29, 2013
This review is from: Skull and Face Electric Shaver (Improved)
not the close shave i was expecting, after using still needed to use a disposable razor to clean head up

5.0 out of 5 stars it really works!, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Skull and Face Electric Shaver (Improved)
I got it for my father. He loves it. It works very well and he says it makes it so much easyer to keep his head shaved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Design makes it easier to use, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Skull and Face Electric Shaver (Improved)
This is far easier to handle than the regular three-headed shavers. Seems to catch all the contours of my head, and allows me to feel for remaining hair better.

This affords me the opportunity to maintain my bald-head by myself rather than bothering my wife every two days to assist me. I've only had it for a week but so far so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY AMAZING!!!, December 22, 2012
This review is from: Skull and Face Electric Shaver (Improved)
I LOVE IT! Coming from a professional barber's perspective it was much better than using my clippers; lighter, can be used anywhere anytime thanks to the rechargeable battery and most importantly no mess! It felt like I was massaging my head not just cutting my hair! THANKS for a great product I wish the company much success!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shave if you must my old bald head, she said, August 4, 2013
Amazon Customer (Florida & New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skull and Face Electric Shaver (Improved)
After years of trying various electric shavers and resorting to the razor - at last, a product that actually shaves the head effectively, smoothly, no razor burn, no missed hairs, and in record time. My Chrome-dome has been subjected to just about every cutting device known for the past 40+ years. This one really works. And once you understand the simplicity, and stop fighting normal tendencies to control . . . well, you're home free. Holds a charge for a long, long time. Fits your hand nicely. Makes shaving your head a pleasure rather than a job. As Betsy Ross was quoted: "Shave if you must........" well, maybe not quite like that. Buy the product and be happy. You'll be glad you did.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor workmanship, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Skull and Face Electric Shaver (Improved)
doesn't hold a ccharge, cheaply constructed, unhappy, needs ti b e made of metal not plastic, over priced at $60.

Skull and Face Electric Shaver (Improved)
$99.00 $60.00