5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Headphones
Published on September 15, 2011 by CT Music

2.0 out of 5 stars Not anything special
A lot of interference problems with the chord, one second or millisecond is valuable in all my songs and not very comfortable in my ears. The sound quality can be easily eclipsed by outside noise, it doesn't block any noise. The style and it's looks are the main attraction.
Published 3 months ago by Diego Alberto Rubio

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Headphones, September 15, 2011
This review is from: Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator Black Headphones w/Microphone (Electronics)
We've got a lot of headphones in our house. Klipsch in-ear, Beats by Dr Dre (both the HD and the standard Beats) as well as the Marshall over the ear headphones. That's a lot of headphones! Of all of them, I like the Skull Candy RocNation Aviators the best. I spent about an hour in the store plugging every brand into my iphone and trying different songs. It's amazing to hear the difference between each headset based on the type of music. I was very close to purchasing the newest AudioTechnica (red) headphones but comparing them to the Aviator's I ended up finding them too bright (sound). I like the Beats HD, but they are really made for hip hop and bass heavy music and lose a lot of the mid range for acoustic music. Also, my son's Beats HD have broken twice. Beats service was very good and replaced them with no questions but still a hassle. The Skullcandy Aviators are very sturdy and they are large enough around the ear that they do not pinch or hurt at all. They are very comfortable. They are much more comfortable than the Marshall headphones which I have found to be too small for an over the ear headphone. The sound is excellent. They really shine on hip hop and rap similar to the Beats, but they are also very good with acoustic and classical music. They do an outstanding job of blocking out external sound even though they are not noise canceling. I tried the Bose and Sony noise cancellation headphones and they did a great job of blocking out external sounds, but a lousy job reproducing music. The skullcandy did a great job of both. While these headphones are definitely not my style (skull emblem on side is a little too much for me), the clear view plastic that allows you to see the inside of the speakers is pretty cool. Otherwise, I'd say I like the style of the Beats or the Ludacris headphones better. But I got these for performance, and after considerable time testing, and benchmarking against the many headsets we have at home, these are the best, hands down. I also like the Klipsch in ear headphones but I find that I can't wear in ear headphones for extended periods (they start to hurt), and the range of sound, particularly bass, simply can't compare to an over the ear set like the skullcandy.

FYI, I listen to a wide range of music from pop, to rock to classical and acoustic. I needed headphones that had good range for all of these genres. Also, my kids (8, 11 and 14), who mostly listen to pop and hip hop like these headphones as well. I'm not sure they're willing to admit that they're better than Dre's Beats, but the smirks on their faces while they were demo'g them at home said it all.

One issue with these phones is that I have found I need to have the volume fired up pretty high to get good volume in my ears. Maybe I'm getting old...

Really happy with this purchase. Excellent performing headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality headphones; Worth the price!, September 4, 2012
I'm hard on headphones, both in expectations and in physical abuse. When I buy a set, they will be with me all throughout the house, on the bus ride to school, and then whenever I have free time AT school. They get thrown into my bookbag (which then itself gets tossed about like chips at Chipotle), stuffed into my pockets (for earbuds), etc. And while I may not be an audiophile, sound quality is THE most important feature to me when it comes to researching a new set.

That's why I was weary of the Skullcandy Aviators. In the past, I've owned various Skullcandy products, and just about every pair was bass-heavy, severely unbalanced to the point of EQs being useless. So when I saw these pop up for around $128 brand-spankin' new on Amazon, I started to read the reviews all over the web, which led me to seriously consider these. About a week later, I had the chance to listen to a demo set using my phone (which allowed me to hear them as I would use them). Man oh man, was I impressed. Before I even messed with the DSP settings on my phone, I was amazed at just how crystal clear they sounded. Everything was balanced, no "tinny" sound or distorted bass. Just a smooth, even sound. Once I adjusted my DSP effects, I was in love. With a pair of headphones. As soon as I got home, I ordered these suckers.

Two days later, I had them out and started using them immediately. One of my favorite surprises was the handy cleaning cloth and carrying case. The cloth is one of those microfiber deals, allowing you to wipe the smudge off the outer shell of the earpieces, A.K.A. fingerprint magnets. After you fold the headphones up, a job that makes you feel uneasy at first due to the way that this works, you can then place them in the carry case, which is lined with the same microfiber material as the cloth (neat-o!) and zippers up to keep unwanted evils off of your magical sound wizard.

I really have no gripes except for a minor one, which will minor thanks to the detachable cord. One of the issues I always seem to have with headsets is the dreaded shorted cord, and the Aviators are no different thanks due in part to my dragging them with me everywhere I go. I can't seem to find them online anywhere (if anyone knows where to get them, please let me know). So far, I've contacted Skullcandy support via Twitter and email, and am waiting to hear back from them. I'll update my review when this gets sorted out. Again, this is only a minor issue, and one that is almost unavoidable when used the way that I do. That being said, it would have been nice if it had lasted a bit longer (it's only been 4 months). The cord is of good quality, though. It's one of those braided thin-yet-tough setups, very reassuring when you're paying more than $100 for headphones.

Overall, I am thoroughly glad that I had given this set a chance and cannot recommend them enough to my friends and family, although most people I know can't comprehend paying more than $50 for headphones. I was the same way until I bought these, and I hope that you will change your mind too after buying them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Barely above average, December 2, 2011
I was always a fan of Skullcandy- I had bought Inkd's, DUBs, Chops, SK Pros, etc. and now, the Aviators.
The sound quality is amazing but the actual lenses themselves were a little loose. The earpieces themselves also looked a little bigger in the pictures online.
For the price, I would've rather gone with the updated, newer looking versions of the SK Pros than these. The Aviators look great and are unique but I always feel like I might accidentally snap or break them since they feel pretty flimsy. Overall though, I'd still rather have these over other headphones like Dr Dre Beats (overhyped, overrated).

5.0 out of 5 stars awsome, June 7, 2013
I was expecting these to be nock offs because of the price, they turned to be old stock. Verdict is they sound incredible. Quality feels solid, but best part is the sound-it rivals beats studio's just without noise cancelling.

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't wait to get these again!, January 17, 2013
OK, I actually had a pair of these that I bought from Best Buy a couple of weeks ago. It was an impulse buy, and against my better judgement, I brought them back. Reason being they don't have the best sound isolation (My ONLY complaint about them!) and I needed new bluetooth headset for my phone instead. I realized it was a really stupid decision after trying a few other over the ear headphones that were about in the same price range. I have a wide variety of music in my library from rock, to rap, from country to oldies, and these headphones played them all very nicely, and not too overly bassy like some other headphones out there. They're also very comfortable, very lightweight. I actually just got a pair of Monster headphones, and after using them for awhile, I actually found that I miss the Skullcandy Aviators. I came on here to see if I could find them cheaper, and of course I did. I didn't hesitate in ordering them, and I can't wait until they arrive!

UPDATE:I received the headphones today and realized they aren't the exact same as the ones I had before. The only real difference being that these don't have the detachable cable. Packaging is also completely different, but otherwise they are the same headphones with the same amazing sound. Still very satisfied with these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for the money but I wish..., May 1, 2014
As stated in other reviews, the sound quality is definitely better than others in the same price range, possibly on par or better than some $150+ headphones, BUT I wish

1. It is a little bigger. If your head is an average size, it might be OK. If you have a big head like me or don't like your hair being pressed down, this one will feel small. The ear cups fit ok over ears but the whole thing feels tight over my head. I wish the cups can be extended 1/2 - 1" more on each side.

2. The cable is removable. Overall I think the weakest part of this headphone is the cable and the mic/remote thing - both feel a little flimsy side comparing to the headphone. I travel with this headphone a lot so I often have to wrap the cable with the headset together to fit in the pouch. If the cable is removable it would be much convenient for me.

3. A hard case for traveling. Well, at this price range I shouldn't really ask for this but it would be nice to have one for a frequent traveler like me.

Overall it is a very good unit and I will have no hesitation to give it 5 stars if it is a bit bigger and with a removable/replaceable cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome headphones, December 8, 2012
They are very duarble. They cancel out noise on the airplane and they are awesome to listen to music or a movie. I get comments about them all the time and they are much cheaper than the Beats headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband loves this headset!, December 26, 2011
I ordered these headphones for my husband this Christmas and he LOVES THEM!! They are extremely comfortable, sound is impeccable and they work perfect with his iPhone 4S. VERY IMPRESSED!! Item arrived as described and shipping was fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11, 2014
loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 13, 2014
These were so great that someone else decided they needed them more than my son (gift to him from me).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›