Skullcandy S2TTBZ-CZ Titan Earbuds, (Chrome)
Color Name: ChromeProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$54.99 - $99.88

on January 9, 2010
Color Name: ChromeProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
These earphones are simply phenomenal. Not being much of a headphone/earphone music listener (at least until now), I have always looked for the absolute least expensive phones for getting by when listening to speakers just wasn't feasible. But with my 12-year old son rocking out constantly on his iPod, I thought I should try some decent phones and see what the hoopla was all about. I have an iPhone, and I hadn't yet used it much for its music capabilities, so I thought I'd try it out. Plus, I'm a movie guy, and I had already ripped and converted some films from DVD to MP4 format for running on my iPhone. Video quality was great, but the aural experience left something to be desired. Oh, what a difference to hear these clear film tracks on a pair of little bitzy speakers which fit in my ears.

I had already determined that the standard iPod/iPhone "earbud" style of phones didn't work for me -- they didn't seal out extraneous noise (translate: three boys and all their white, black and everything-in-between noise in its constant glory), and they didn't fit my ears, leading to painful pressure points within a short time. While the "in-ear canal" style made me feel a bit sonically "claustrophobic," these made the most sense to me. Plus, I had experienced them in a few $10 earphone pairs I had bought on the cheapie. So, that's where I went a looking....

Well, to get finally to the punch, I purchased the Skullcandy Titans -- off Amazon at their normally great price, and my Prime membership got them to me in a couple of days, free of shipping charges. (Note to non-Primers: the 80 or so bucks a year I pay for Amazon Prime is the absolute greatest deal going, at least if you're an Internet shopper as I am. I'm a guy, and as such I prototypically hate brick-and-mortar "girl" shopping.) After reading so much about the freakin' Comply foam ear tips, I was a bit disapppointed to receive the soft silicone tips which some other "Mr. Helpful" reviewer has forewarned you and yours truly how truly inferior they are.

To punctuate some users' comments, and to dispel others, I've gotta tell you: these earphones are absolutely incredible. Clear as a well tuned bell, natural but not "flat" with just enough EQ to sweeten the sound, and powerful (ie: efficient). What a sound stage! I not only was transfixed by my listening experience, but also I found myself cranking up the sound to what on a lesser set of phones would be unlistenable. These phones absolutely rock!!

And here's a note about the much-ballyhooed Comply tips. While I am sure they are fine complements to these phones, they are by no means necessary, and in fact I am unlikely to buy them. Why? Because the "soft silicone" tips (I wore the middle-of-the-Bell-curve medium size) were as silky smooth as a well fashioned, well... you know, one of those nice-fitting sleeves I wore when I was a frisky teenager. When these tips are referred to as "soft silicone," the description is accurate. These babies are SOFT. They fit perfectly in my ear canal, effectively shutting out all but the very loudest ambient noises (remember the kids), and making for a truly delicious musical experience -- unlike what I have heard on anything but the very best and most expensive speaker system in the perfect listening environment. And money aside, the perfect venue ain't never gonna happen with kids around. So, I have discovered a bit of peace and re-discovered the beauty of really good music. Like a memorable concert, played just for me.

Oh, and the silicone tips -- as soft and delicate fitting as they are (remember my previous reference) -- do NOT move. I don't need tight-fitting foam tips for a secure fit. Again, like a well crafted glove, they protect and enhance the experience. (OK, I think I have stretched, if you will, this metaphor to its limit.)

I may be a relative newcomer to earphones, but I do know sound. And the Skullcandy Titan earphones are simply incredible. Buy them -- I promise you that you won't be dissapointed. And foh-get about the Comply foam tips. You don't need 'em.

Shaken Rumor

PS -- As for all good speakers, be sure and break these babies in. For a great way to do this, go to [..](nods to JLab Audio and their inspired "burner" app). JLab, BTW, makes some great earphones of their own, and they are wicked inexpensive. Pick up a pair for a spare.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 4, 2010
Color Name: PurpleProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Loved this ear-buds, specially for plane traveling it isolates all the outside unwanted noises, wich makes the bass frequencies quality sounds alot better then any other similar products I've seen out there.
on September 14, 2009
Color Name: ChromeProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
Very nice and comfortable. Great sound quality. I bought these to replace a pair of more expensive ones I was given but broke. I like these Headphones 5 times better.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 31, 2011
Color Name: ChromeProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Purchased a this item after reading MANY MANY reviews for a new pair of headphones. Sound Quality of these is AMAZING! BOTH Highs & Lows are reproduced wonderfully and the Bass Response is mind-blowing!

My complaint is that these are NOT constructed well!
My 1st pair's Volume Control fell apart...they still worked...for awhile...Then one of the Earbuds came apart at its seam!

I purchased a 2nd pair thinking that maybe it was a fluke. The 2nd pair did the SAME THING (Came apart at the seam)!!!

VERY DISAPPOINTING!
on July 8, 2010
Color Name: PurpleProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Well, I got my pair of these exact headphones in the mail about a week ago, so I thought I would provide some info for others looking at these phones.

Construction:
---
Right off the bat, I was scared after I purchased these and realized, foolishly mind you, that they were made of metal. Not that metal phones are bad, I am plagued with a Nickel allergy, and thus must be careful around any metal made with Nickel. I am still not sure what type of metal these are made with, but I have been wearing them often and have not been having any reaction. That aside, the only gripe I have about the construction of these ear buds is the fact that my right phone seams to dig into my ear a bit, because the back of the buds seem to make a 90 degree angle which creates a sharp side. My left ear is fine though, which leads me to believe that this is due to my ear having a slightly different shape.
The volume slider is a nifty feature, although I have had no use for it yet, as I have my mp3 player's control at the ready, but for those of you with sport packs and such, it is very handy to control the volume at the flick of a slider.

Sound Quality:
---
For those who have seen my Ink'd review, I would probably rate these around the same. The sound quality is great, but I don't seem to notice any striking difference in the amount of bass; or anything for that matter. I am not sound expert but I would say the cheaper Ink'd phones and these have the same quality.

Other:
---
I ordered my buds from Richmond Wholesale, and I can say that this supplier does come with the Comply Foam tips. They are made of some material that is like memory foam, and really creates a comfy feel in the ear. The silicon tips (as pictured) come with it as well, but I like these foam tips, and my hard-shelled case came with an extra pair!

All in all, I would say that if these buds were at their original price, I would probably just buy another pair of Ink'd ear buds, but at this reduced price I would say it is a good buy!
on September 2, 2010
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I've had these for about 6 months. I did a lot of research online before buying these and was hesitant when I actually picked them up at the store--the packaging seemed kind of cheap and I was skeptical. I bought them anyway and was surprised by how well made they felt. They are gratifyingly heavy for their size and the polymer cap that fits into your ear seems durable and is very comfortable.

When I put them on, I was surprised by the sound quality and amount of noise reduction. The sound quality still amazes me. These have really good base and rich, full sound. I've had several pairs of headphones and these blow all of them away in quality. They are definitely competitive with headphones over twice the price. I didn't see any advertisement about noise reduction, but as soon as you put them in, the world becomes muffled, and once you turn on the music to a reasonable volume, nearly all outside noise is drowned out. It feels like walking around in a movie, where the scene volume is muted and the soundtrack is all that is heard. They don't amplify the sound of you breathing, either, as covering your ears would do.

The one thing it does amplify is the sound of the cord moving--it is an awful noise that becomes infuriating quickly. Any thumping at all on the cord is greatly amplified. The noise isn't as noticeable when I take them out running, especially if I wear the cord under clothes. It is most obnoxious when sitting still or walking and the cord is accidentally thumped. As annoying as I find this noise, it doesn't even come close to outweighing the pros of these headphones.

I have taken them out jogging and biking, and they are great in the wind, since most of the ear bud is in your ear canal. My old ear bud headphones forced me to crank the volume to the max to hear over the sound of wind. Not so with these. I've accidentally tugged the cord hard a few times while jogging and as a result, the sound sometimes begins to cut out if the cord is bent in just the wrong way. I am sure this would be the case with most headphones, however, so I do not fault them for it. All in all, I love these and would buy them again immediately even if they broke tomorrow. For $50, I don't think these can be beaten.

Pros:
-Outstanding sound quality
-Very good noise reduction
-Comfortable fit

Cons:
-The sound of the cord moving around is loud and annoying

UPDATE!
After accidentally yanking the cord, the metal housing of the earbud snapped apart at the seam. I was able to snap it back together, but it didn't hold very consistently and it came apart a few more times. They still worked perfectly and I'll still keep them as a backup, but it was time to buy a new pair. The first lasted well over a year, if not two years. True to my word, I bought another pair of Titans. Here's what you get with newest version:
-Fancy packaging, and now says 'Hi-definition noise isolating ear buds'
-Different cord--this time it's braided aluminum (according to the package) and has a clear plastic sheath. It looks cooler, but functionally seems just like the last version. Relatively loud thumping sounds are still transmitted through the cord when it is bumped sharply.
-Black silicone earbud fittings instead of clear. There are 3 sizes. There is a significant difference in sound quality depending on the fit--definitely try out the different sizes to make sure you've got the right one.
-Still comes with a nice case.

Bottom line: I'm still very happy with these.
on May 7, 2010
The Skullcandy Titans are pretty good earphones. They have crisp highs, and full midrange sound. However, I'm black and I like bottom. I chose the Titans because a number of reviews rave about their bass response. These earphones have decent low end response, but I bought these to replace my V-MODA Vibe earbuds which were hard shoes to fill when it came to low end. They literally had the bass of studio monitors, but also had a major design flaw when it came to the cord and its tendency to fray. I've had the Titans for about a month and not only does the cord seem quite durable, it also has almost none of that dull bumping sound that goes straight to your ears when the headphone cord bumps around while you walk which was another major gripe I had about the V-MODA Vibes.

Don't get me wrong, the Titans have a good sound and the bass does impress me from time to time. I believe the bottom is probably adequate for most users. They also have a nice volume slider that has the perfect amount of resistance. I also own a pair of Skullcandy Smokin' Buds and their volume slider is way too loose.

One last issue I have with the Titans is they have very sharp edges that can sometimes be uncomfortable. At times I can feel them in my ear.

Overall I would give the Titans a 3.5 if I could give half stars. Whether or not I would recommend them would depend on the person I'm talking to. It all depends on your appetite for bass.

Pros:
- crisp highs, and full midrange sound
- nice volume slider

Cons:
- not quite the bass response I was looking for
- can sometimes be uncomfortable due to the sharp edges in their design
on June 24, 2010
Color Name: PurpleProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This is my 3rd pair of Skullcandy earbuds -- all different models. I listen to music roughly 8 hours a day. My first pair of Skullcandy earbuds lasted me over 2 wonderful years of daily abuse. My second pair I still have, but they are the cheapest model of the 3 (Ink'd), and I wanted to upgrade, so I bought these. I am back to using my Ink'd buds because the left earbud of these Titans decides after about 4 hours of use that it wants to play at 25% of the volume the right one is at. It is obscenely annoying. Unplugging them and plugging them back in, jostling the volume control on the cord, nothing can fix it once it seems to happen for the day. Sooo, I get mad at them and stash them away for a few days, yet when I drag them back out that left bud magically works for a few hours again, but inevitably, it will fail several hours into my workshift and I get mad all over again. So I'm returning them (I was hoping for a replacement but they're not in stock). I had high hopes and I still like my 1st and 2nd pairs of Skullcandy buds, but I guess I just got a lemon pair for my Titans. :(
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2010
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
The sounds is good... for the price but the ink'ed skullcandy headphones are exactly the same as far as sounds quality and a bit less. The extra price is for the nice little bag they give you and the sound control on the cord of the Titan. If you are like me and wear out headsets really fast I would go with the ink'ed; better price for good (the exact same as the Titan) sound quality and don't break as much as the really cheep ones. If you are looking for something with better sound quality go for the Full Metal Jacket ones, they also last just a bit longer I've found, but they are 30 something $. I have been really happy with all of the Skullcandy products so far, good price, good sound quality (for the price they are offering), and don't break as easily as most headsets.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 22, 2010
Color Name: ChromeProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I've owned dozens of earphones in my life but none come close to these Skullcandies. They are incredible. Sound quality is superb even at minimum volume on my iPod. The fit is so good you don't even feel you're wearing them. Even on long plane rides! I also like the solid feel of the metal construction. The earbuds come with a nice case. All in all, a great product.