4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to use, works as advertised
I'll echo what others have said about this product in their reviews: It's an elegant way to quickly cool down your wine before drinking. Keep these in your freezer all the time and you'll always be ready to chill your wine on short notice.

Published 23 months ago by John K.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes fun doesn't have to be practical
Sometimes you buy something for fun and it doesn't always have to be practical. I've found that often such things cost more than they're worth.

Published on September 2, 2012 by PhotoGraphics

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to use, works as advertised, December 17, 2012
John K. (Riverside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I sensed an opportunity to add value to this review, so I made like I was back in school and did a lab test using my wife's instant-read thermometer. The wine was taken off the shelf, and I poured exactly five ounces into a wine glass (as measured with a measuring cup). I took the wine chill drop out of the freezer where we're keeping it. I then took the temperature of the wine before commencing the chilling process and then at one-minute intervals thereafter. For each temperature measurement, I took out the chill drop, stirred the wine, and inserted the thermometer. I held the chill drop up while I did this so it would not transfer heat to the counter service. Here are the results:

Time (min)...........Temperature (degrees F)
-----------------------------------------------------
4................................53.7
5................................52.1
6................................50.9
7................................50.2

For the seventh measurement, the thermometer turned itself off so since I had to reactivate it, the timing was off for an eighth minute measurement. But from these data we can conclude:

- Each chill drop can cool five ounces of wine about 20 degrees in eight minutes.
- In 90 seconds, you get about 10 degrees of cooling.

So to achieve the recommended temperatures for white and red wine as described in the product description, you will need to serve five ounces per chill drop, not more; and you will need to keep the wine at a temperature of 70 degrees or less.

I'll definitely keep using this product because it's convenient and chic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works wonderfully, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Skybar NBSKWA1000 Wine Chill Drops, Set of 2 (Kitchen)
These drops are amazing! They chill your wine (and other beverages too) extremely fast! They are very stylish and make for an interesting conversation piece as well since many people have never seen these before. No matter what temperature you like your drinks at, these drops can get it there quickly. Leave one in a glass of wine for about a minute and it will be as cold as if you had been chilling it all day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes fun doesn't have to be practical, September 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

At the positive end of the scale, these wine chill drops are pretty cool looking and as such are a conversation starter. I have bought or have received as gifts several "bar" items that are nice to trot out when guests come over. Some are unique shot glasses, another is a powered wine bottle opener, and yet another is a margarita chiller. None of them are necessary but in a small way help to show guests they are special.

I live in a warm climate and like my red wine SLIGHTLY chilled, very slightly chilled. Adding ice instantly waters the wine down and makes it undrinkable. Chilling the wine in the fridge almost always makes it too cold. Putting the wine chill drop in my glass for 4 minutes gets it just right for me.

Each drop comes with a weighted little plastic cup with a rubberized base to hold the drop after it is removed from one's glass. A quick rinse of both pieces followed by a wipe down and after a few minutes of drying they can be returned to the freezer. Since they retain cold for a long time, the "recharge" time is about as long as it takes to leisurely sip a glass of wine.

While the shiny metal drop looks rather elegant, the fragile feeling plastic part seems out of proportion and not very svelte. My biggest complaint is where the two pieces are joined there is an unusually large gap, which can be difficult to keep clean. It these were $5 items I could excuse that, but at the ultra-high premium price I expect the gap to be absolutely seamless.

Keeping in mind that this is a novelty or luxury item it's hard to state if the price is "too high" but I do feel compelled to knock off a star for that. And the gap between the bowl and the handle loses another star. I would say that if they were $15 - $20 they would be more impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wine chillers, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Skybar NBSKWA1000 Wine Chill Drops, Set of 2 (Kitchen)
Great product. My wife likes her red wines chilled & was always putting ice cubes in her wine.....total party foul!!! These are kinda pricey, but they really do the trick, constructed very well. No more watered down wine!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gift for Wine Lover, January 8, 2012
This review is from: Skybar NBSKWA1000 Wine Chill Drops, Set of 2 (Kitchen)
This item is perfect when you want the wine that is not in the wine fridge! It chills the wine, in the glass, in a couple of minutes. If you are looking for a gift for a wine lover who has it all (or so you think), get them the chill drops. Every time they are used, I hear "I love this!"

5.0 out of 5 stars for my wife, July 9, 2012
This review is from: Skybar NBSKWA1000 Wine Chill Drops, Set of 2 (Kitchen)
my wife was using ice cubes, she wanted to buy those ice rocks. but i thought this was better and my wife loves it. worth it and it works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ice cube, December 11, 2011
This review is from: Skybar NBSKWA1000 Wine Chill Drops, Set of 2 (Kitchen)
Its function as its advertisement. It chills wine so fast and persist for a long time. All my other friends have interests in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Cooling a Glass of Wine, January 30, 2012
This review is from: Skybar NBSKWA1000 Wine Chill Drops, Set of 2 (Kitchen)
I keep these chill drops in the freezer. When my husband and I want to open a bottle of wine that has not been sufficiently chilled, we insert the chill drop for a couple of minutes, and the wine is perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, not just for wine but also beer and even coffee/tea, September 8, 2012
Skybar NBSKWA1000 Wine Chill Drops, Set of 2

These Wine Chill drops are basically more refined/advanced versions of ice packs. There is a fluid inside of the stainless steel drops that will freeze inside the freezer, and absorbs heat when you dunk it into your beverage of choice (beer, wine, and even hot coffee).

The holders are rated dishwasher safe, but they seemed kind of flimsy so I hand washed everything. They really do work well to chill wine in a goblet without watering it down with ice cubes. However, I was in a rush to go to work one morning and didn't want to wait for my coffee to cool down. As a result, I dunked a chill drop into the coffee and within a minute or so, the coffee was ready to drink.

Overall: 4/5 stars, aesthetically pleasing, easy to care for, but could have been larger for greater cooling capability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked ok but overpriced., December 26, 2012
This review is from: Skybar NBSKWA1000 Wine Chill Drops, Set of 2 (Kitchen)
These work ok versus adding ice to a room temperature glass of wine but they are on the small side and therefore do not chill the wine fast enough. If these were made larger the extra surface area would help chill the wine quicker.

Skybar NBSKWA1000 Wine Chill Drops, Set of 2