Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

Format: DVDChange

on November 10, 2012
Being the year of the 50th anniversary of the beloved super spy, the 23rd Bond installment had a lot to live up to. While Casino Royale was a worthy and thrilling reboot to the franchise, Quantum of Solace fell flat with critics and fans. To make matters more interesting, MGM has had financial woes over the last number of years and needed a hit to reinvigorate the studio. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Skyfall.

Not only does the movie qualify as one of the most action-packed and entertaining movies of the year, it ranks on my list as one of the best Bond flicks to date. As has come to be expected, Craig is terrific as the British spy, portraying the character with charm and intensity. The action is top notch and the story is superbly written. Among my favorite moments were the blistering opening sequences, the introduction of the film's villain, and the intense final act, which finds Bond cornered yet unafraid. The real treat, however, is Bardem's role as the sinister Silva. Rivaling any villain in recent memory, save Heath Ledger's Joker, Bardem is intimidating, powerful, and irresistible to watch. You'll find yourself glued to the screen whenever he appears, and hoping he'll show up again soon when he's gone.

Another huge nod has to go to Mendes, whose vision of Bond is spectacular. The movie is tightly scripted and the director does a very fine job of bringing out great performances from his cast. The cinematography is some of the best I've seen in a film for a long time; the production crew did a remarkable job utilizing light, colors, and atmosphere to really draw the audience in. Another treat is the glimpse the audiences gets into Bond's past, which plays a crucial role in the film.

The transfer to Blu-ray is beautiful; the colors are pin-sharp and the picture is clear, crisp, and detailed. In a film that contains such vibrant colors and contrasts, this was immensely important for home release. All of the great cinematographic moments you saw in the theater look just as great here. The audio is equally perfect. The disc's DTS-HD MA 5.1 track contain all the intensity and clarity contained in the theatrical release so you can enjoy the crashes, explosions, gun shots, and dialogue in high definition.

By way of special features, there's just under an hour of behind-the-scenes featurettes that are an interesting watch, as well as the original action-heavy trailer for the movie, "Skyfall Premiere" feature, and two different audio commentaries; a detailed and information-rich feature from Mendes and a not-so-interesting one from producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson and production designer Dennis Gassner. The insight from Mendes is fascinating and any fan of the film will be sure to enjoy it. The commentary from the producers felt more like a promotion of the film and could have been left off the disc in my opinion.

Whether your a die-hard Bond fan or a casual observer, Skyfall has something for everyone. There are multiple references to past Bond adventures, yet enough new and innovative ideas to please newcomers to the franchise. I highly recommend this film. This BD set doesn't boast hours and hours of extra footage but it has enough to please fans that are curious about the making of the film. Overall a terrific movie, beautiful disc transfer, and engaging Blu-ray set.
8585 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
I am a die hard Sean-Connery-as-James-Bond fan. I like most of Roger's and a couple of Pierce's. I was not happy when I first learned of Daniel Craig as the new Bond. Daniel who? Was my first reaction. Not another Lazenby, I thought...
I like Casino Royale, but it took me a couple of watches on DVD for it to grow on me. I didn't hate Quantum of Solace as much as others seem to, but then I saw Skyfall..... I love this movie so much that not one day has gone by when I haven't thought of it at least once. I saw it twice in one week, and I never do that when movies are in theaters. The writers of this film must be brought back for the next one, yes it has some minor similarities to The Dark Knight movies, but so what. I can not wait for the Blu Ray release. I hate to admit it, but this may just be my new favorite Bond movie. The only thing that would make it perfect for me would be if Connery were still young enough to play Bond. The opening sequence, the action, Javier as the creepy villain, the surprises in the end.. It's almost perfect. Bravo Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson. Now do it again for Bond 24....

Oh...and did I mention the awesome theme song by Adele?? How perfect for the 50th year! Slightly reminiscent of Goldfinger theme, the Monty Norman 007 theme, very well done. Nobody does it better these days. Pun intended....
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2012
Although I remain a loyal fan to the Bond of my youth (Roger Moore), Daniel Craig is, in my opinion, one of the very best of the rest. In Skyfall he demonstrated how he has matured into the character - and the writing and execution of virtually every other aspect of this film are superior to his first two outings. Some viewers are finding this Bond outing a bit slow moving. I didn't, although it is admittedly more restrained than many other films from the series. Nevertheless, I found it engaging from beginning to end. I thought certain parts of the film packed an emotional punch seldom felt in other Bond films.

It is interesting how the public's expectations for Bond have changed. When View to A Kill premiered critics blasted the level of violence and even Roger Moore said he thought at least one scene in that movie went too far. The current take on Bond is far more violent and the bad guys are often presented in a much darker light than the villains of old - even if ultimately their dastardly deeds end up having similar effects. I'm looking forward to what comes next in this long running series and highly recommend this entry.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2015
Seven actors have portrayed James Bond, Agent 007 of MI-6, the ultra- secret bureau branch of British Intelligent. None, in my humble opinion, will ever outdo Sean Connery as the cool and calculating international spy who sports automatic hand-guns and beautiful mistresses. However, I believe a close second may be the latest installments featuring Daniel Craig. While the forgettable mid-Bond films, starring Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, and Pierce Brosnan, who seemed like he was just replaying Remington-Steele with higher budgets, more often than not were more like Bond-by-the-numbers intent on making money from the name, the women, and the gadgets, Daniel Craig has stood out. Craig may well be the best successor to Connery in the role.

The other Bond installments with the above-list of mediocre actors in cookie-cutter installments, featuring the obligatory femme-fatale, a casino scene, and a chase through the Alps, pale in comparison to the latest Bond installments with Craig. Maybe why I like the Craig versions as some of the best since Connery has to do with making Bond more vulnerable. In many of the Moore and Brosnan installments, I certainly knew Bond would break free from his plot-driven shackles but the way the character was played, I thought the character himself knew he would win in the end, and so I was never rooting for him. He was always so cool that I knew he knew he would prevail. Not with Craig. Craig's take on Bond is more subtle with sudden unexpected emotions, as if his character doesn't know whether it will turn out in his favor, which is as it should be. Craig sweats, grunts, even sheds tears. I never saw Moore grunt hardly at all. (I liked "Jaws" from "Moonraker" much more than Moore.)

In "Skyfall", Bond and MI-6 are dealing with a foe who has infiltrated the computer systems of British Intelligence. Part of this foe's breach includes the revealing the aliases of under-cover British agents all over the world. Bond and MI-6 must stop this baddie before he or she compromises more field agents which may lead to their deaths. Is this is an old foe, like Specter, a new foe, or someone else? Maybe someone who knows the intricacies of British Intelligence? A wonderful film from start to finish with a good combination of humour, action and even emotion. And there's even a throw-back to elements of the old Bond films of the 1960's.
review image
on January 3, 2014
As a diehard Bond fan since I first saw "For Your Eyes Only" in 1981 I still have some bias against Daniel Craig. Wilson and Broccoli intentionally put Craig into a different Bond mold. Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace, although good action films, are not really Bond films. Skyfall however on the surface gives glimmers of a real Bond film, but there's still a long way to go. Wilson and Broccoli's self-admitted heavy influence by the Bourne movies negatively affected the Bond franchise- not financially, but in undermining who Bond is. This Bond character is more a robotic brute, a shell of a person, and not the cool, in control spy. Let me get to the point. The movie Skyfall is a really good movie, maybe even great. I love the action, and Daniel Craig does a really good job being a Jason Bourne like character. It's far better than Quantum of Solace. Skyfall was worth seeing in the theaters, and is a good purchase on Blu-ray. If I had to rate this as a Bond movie, it would be 2 stars. It's not Craig's fault. That blame falls on Wilson and Broccoli. If you watch the movie as a Bond fan, you might be disappointed. If you watch as a big action movie fan, you'll love it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2013
I saw this movie in theaters, and since owning the dvd I have seen it over 3 times. So I figured, why not do a review?

Casino Royale revamped my faith in James Bond. Die another Day was ok, but Pierce Brosnan was losing his step a bit. Alas, a man by the name of Daniel Craig took the reigns and ever since 2006, he has fit the suit and persona quite well.

Skyfall stars Daniel Craig as Mr.007 himself, Judi Dench reprising her role as M, and Rory Kinnear as Bill Tanner. We also have a strong cast of newcomers that include: Ralph Fiennes as Gareth Mallory, Naomie Harris as Eve, Berenice Marhole as the beautiful Severine, and finally Javeer Bardem as the villian Silva. The cast was great; Javeer Bardeem was very convincing in his role.

The Story line is what you would expect from a GOOD Bond movie. Although the film itself deals with issues such as Bond losing his focus and having to regain his composure and mentality to become Bond again, there is a lot of suspense, really nice action, and oh yes, very BEAUTIFUL women.

So overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Skyfall from start to finish. I really enjoyed the opening sequence where Adele sings her song for the film appropriately titled: Skyfall. Great cast, good story, a lot of action, and more importantly, Skyfall is James Bond as he is meant to be. Sam Mendes did a marvelous job directing this movie.

I do want to mention that I have been hearing rumors that once Daniel Craig's contract is up, that it is possible that Idris Elba(fantastic actor by the way) will be taking the reigns as the new 007. Even if that does happen, I have a strong feeling that Daniel Craig will continue to take James Bond in the right direction, and furthermore, we can expect even better things to come in the forseeable future.

on February 14, 2013
This was the first James Bond movie I had been to in ages. Saw it at the theater and it was awesome!! I plan to purchase it as soon as possible. Just a great movie!! Daniel Craig makes a great James Bond!! Lots of action and intrigue. James Bond completely!!!
on July 1, 2013
This movie bears no resemblance to the James Bond movies of old. It is another standard violence movie, with the usual violence, special effects, etc. There is nothing of interest here for anyone except those who are addicted to computer violence games.
VINE VOICEon December 24, 2012
All the accusations of the Bond franchise ripping off the Jason Bourne series are overblown. If anything, this latest installment in Bond's new evolution takes the high art of murder to a beautiful new level. The theme throughout is light and shadow, and the director makes excellent use of both to illustrate how death isn't dealt only in the shadows.

The other theme is old dogs in a world full of Internet-savvy young pups. Whether it's M (Judi Dench) or Bond (Daniel Craig) himself, they recognize themselves as relics of a bygone era in which satellites and video cameras do most of the spy work for them. And yet that's what makes Bond so important in this modern age -- he goes "off the grid," where the real terror lurks.

Javier Bardem plays an embodiment of that terror, Raoul Silva, a brutally warped villain who has an understandable (if unreasonable) motive to kill M. Just as Bond has an unspoken duty to Queen and Country, the new world tests that loyalty by robbing first Bond -- then M, then the entire organization -- of its identity. When politicians drag their doings into the light of day, the franchise feels invigorated because it's finally facing up to the ludicrous issues of the past. Bond can no longer casually sip a martini without being reminded that he's drinking taxpayer's money.

And that's a good thing. "Skyfall" works so well because it's not just another installment in the franchise, it's a milestone. Things are changing for Bond, in a good way, and it gives me hope that we can expect more out of this old dog in a new world.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2013
Well, Daniel Craig actually.
After years of the Bond franchise looking for it's footing in the 21st century. Ms Broccoli has struck gold with Daniel Craig as James Bond. At last, a Bond that has flaws and issues!! And the character still has a lot of the baggage from the previous efforts, but Craig's take on Bond brings a whole new "Edginess". Sadly, we loose one of Bonds closest at the end of the film; but it is a re-launch of the institution - isn't it??
We have a brand new Q (Quartermaster). The character is now fully fleshed out and no longer the long suffering foil to James Bond. Along with this is a fresh take on the Moneypenny character; no longer just a pretty face behind a desk.
Great Score, amazing visuals and probably the creepiest villan to come along in a long while.
This adventure marks the third installment of Daniel Craig's James Bond. It's high adventure at it's best and well worth the look !!