4.0 out of 5 stars Nice update for a game we loved

3.0 out of 5 stars skylanders giants starter kit
Published 23 months ago by jennifer johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice update for a game we loved, October 23, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Skylanders Giants Starter Pack - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
The new Skylanders Giants starter pack did not disappoint. We seriously considered getting a Portal Owner's Pack, since we did have the portal from the original Skylanders game, but the Starter pack comes with TWO new Skylanders characters in addition to the one Giant Skylander that comes with the Portal Owner's Pack. Given that the Starter Pack was only $15 more than the Portal Owner's Pack, and the price of individual figures has risen to $14.99, getting a spare portal AND another figure made getting the Starter Pack a bargain!

Oddly, the portal is wired. The original PS3 portal is wireless. I guess we can still play if we run out of AA batteries, so that's nice, but unless the original portal breaks, I can't see using the wired portal much.

The Giant included, Tree Rex, is a lightcore figure. This means that when you put him on the portal, portions of the character light up. In this case, his eyes, and his Chlorophyll cannon. We haven't gotten any of the other Giant Skylanders yet, but so far, we REALLY like the new direction. Gameplay provides ways of getting through each adventure with or without a Giant in play. You can use your old Skylanders characters, and they can now level up past level 10, but you won't get credit for any of the series one characters in the collections awards/accolades, unless they are brand new. We had a fair number of series 1 characters, but the only one that registers as a collected character is the new Drill Sergeant Wal-Mart exclusive I had recently obtained (before the price increase) and had not played in the old game. He does register as a series one Skylander though.

Don't get me wrong, all the old characters bring all their old levels and powers in, and that can be a big help in playing (especially if you had a lot of gold built up), but they don't appear in the collections, if you switch hats, the old hats are no longer available (unless you go back to the original game), and a significant number of the accolades are related to buying new characters. Brilliant marketing device, but a touch annoying to parents.

One new portion of the game that I quite like is the addition of the Skystones games. In game, in addition to the rotating lock puzzles, there is now a strategic game involving tiles you accumulate as you play the game. The games against in-game characters gets harder over time, and in some cases you need to choose your tiles, as well as their placement, wisely in order to win. I like that the game is encouraging more thinking of children. Kudos for that!

4.0 out of 5 stars love it or hate it? hate it because there are too many characters to buy, October 27, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought the starter pack instead of the portal pack, because the kids didn't have cynder and jet-vac. So the portal was free when you add all the pieces together and I wanted a backup portal anyway. The new portal is USB powered only, the previous one was battery and wifi, which is better. No more battery or connection problem when the battery is low. The game graphic looks the same as spyro adventure, pretty rough. I was hoping for a higher resolution for the game. So minus one star.

The Giants eyes and other parts lights when placed on the portal. As for the gameplay, I can't say much, but the kids love it... for now... I remember when I bought them the spyro adventure last thanksgiving, they played on the weekend for about couple of weeks and then it sat there collecting dust till the Giants came along. Almost a year! What I am saying is that you don't have to buy all the skylanders giants or the skyalanders, watch and see if they really like it or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Son Loves It, February 24, 2013
My just got this for his birthday and he loves it. The coolest feature I think is that the individual figurines get there levels, gold, and weapons "transferred" to the figurine and you can play your character on other people's systems whether it be PS3, Wii, XBox, etc. Know that you only need one portal as this is only a one or two person game and multiple Skylanders can go on one portal. You should also look into Sidekicks and add on "weapons" as they are fun additions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skylanders Giants is way better than the original., December 21, 2012
Valis (Mount Pleasant, MI) - See all my reviews
One of the things I hated most about the original was that the Portal was wireless and took batteries. This one is USB powered. We would run into problems with the wireless one with the original because they would need changed in the middle of the game and lock the game up and cause us to lose our progress even after we changed the batteries. The design of all the characters in this version of the game look better than the originals. The Giants are huge and the one that came with this lights up when you put them on the portal. Very nicely done I think. The down fall is that Activision Inc. is charging more for all the new series 2 figures. The series 2 figures seem to go up to 150 max stats instead of 100 max stats. My kids all loved playing this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Son Loves This, October 17, 2013
Beware, this game will cost you some money. Skylander games come with 3 characters but you end up needing more characters to unlock all of the areas, so you'll end up spending over $125 to unlock everything in the game.

If your kid plays it for months on end, its worth it. If your kid is going to play it for a few days and move on to something else, don't wast the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Game and Package, August 26, 2013
I enjoy the game and the general concept. It has been fun and is not overly violent or graphic for children.
As a starter kit it is a great way to go, you'll get everything you need to play the game and you can expand at your own pace.

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars because of two things that relate to the gameplay more than the item received. One frustration with the game is you cannot change the view of the screen. The camera angle is set by the game and changes as the player moves. This is great in that is simplifies the gameplay, but not so great because it can be frustrating to not be able to look at what you want to look at. I wish there was a way to lock and unlock the camera.

The 2nd frustration with the game is the time it takes between switching out your person. I wish you could skip the graphic transition as it gets very repetitive and creates lag in the game play itself. As such I've found myself not changing people out because I don't want to wait the 5 seconds it takes to load the new person. Sure, it's only like five seconds, but it adds up.

In a lot of ways I would compare this game to the Ratchet and Clank Franchise. The graphics are cartoony, you gets lots of ways to eliminate the enemies and you get to interact with the environment in unique ways to earn money and collect things. Skylanders in my opinion of a more kid friendly (easier to play) version of Ratchet. Locked camera and the lack of jumping being the two things that make it easier for a younger audience to pick-up and play.

All in all it has been a worthwhile purchase for the $35ish I spent, but I think expanding with new units could be where the real money starts to add up... Anyway, for the money we've gotten plenty of play-time out of it and the new pieces might make for a nice Birthday/Holiday present.

4.0 out of 5 stars Giants are here, July 27, 2013
Only problem is....it's no different than the original skylanders. My son isn't as intrigued with this new set as the original ones.

3.0 out of 5 stars skylanders giants starter kit, January 14, 2013
Bought this for my grandson, who loved it, but he is 10 and it appears that he beat this game in less than 2 weeks of having it. While I am going to help him investigate this issue, he was bummed he leveled out so quickly (if that is indeed the case, which it appears at this point it is) It is rated 6+, but at this day and age there should probably be a 6-7yr rating on it. I would not recommend it for any older child with any gaming experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, December 24, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
My (now) 6-year-old asked for the original Skylanders for Christmas last year from Santa, and played it a LOT. We had to work out a "reward" system for buying new Skylanders so we wouldn't be taken to the cleaners with the first game. I'll explain what we did for anyone interested farther down in the review.

This one is his latest gift from Santa so he hasn't actually played it yet. We went with the Starter-kit since on Black Friday it was half-price (and about $15 cheaper than the add-on kit) and included 2 other characters as well as the new Giant character. I will add-on to this review if there is any significant change in gameplay. I can say the first game is fun for younger kids (up to age 10 or so I would say) but I can't imagine older kids would get much out of it. It all depends on the kid of course. My son has thoroughly enjoyed it--the graphics aren't the greatest, but they're appropriate for the game--very cartoonish, and there are fun little animations for each character when they're placed on the portal. The graphics aren't very sharp, but they do create a pleasant game enviroment and, with the exception of one or two levels the objectives are clear enough for him to figure them out on his own so there is very little frustration for him.

In summary this is a fun, not-too-violent game that younger children will especially enjoy.

This part is for anyone interested in total cost and how we managed to spread it out a bit:

I'll try and explain what you're getting into for anyone with no experience with this game: There are 8 "elements" to the Skylanders universe, and now with the expansion there are 5 regular characters and 1 giant for each element. That's 48 characters total when they're all released (they stack release of the characters to pump up sales a bit). Word of warning: The game comes with a chart that shows all the characters, plus there are "commercials" in game for the characters whenever your child finds a "soul gem" in a level. They WILL KNOW there are other characters out there, and they WILL want them all. Also, they can not see the entire game without at least 5 other characters, as certain elements are required to open certain areas.

The original game has 32 of the 48 characters, which are all being re-released with cosmetic changes to the toy but no real difference otherwise. Also out there are "legendary" characters which are basically pumped-up versions of a few of the characters which does affect gameplay a tiny bit. With the expansion there are a few special "light core" characters that light up when placed on a portal. There are also accessory packs that include various things that help your character in some way. As with the first game I'm sure with the expansion there will also be seperate "adventure packs" that add a new level and usually include one character and an accessory. Character packs for the first game are on sale a lot now (check Toys R Us for buy one get one free sales) and they ALL work with the second game so that's the best way to go for those.

Any character pack usually has a base price of $9.99. The Giants are $14.99. You can find three-packs of characters for $19.99 on sale, but those can be a bad investment if you already have one of the characters--which happens fairly often. The adventure packs typically sell for $19.99 as well. 3 characters come with the game, so as you can see this game can be a significant financial investment. If you purchased everything for the original game (at non-sale prices) you would have spent around $450 base price (this is for base characters, not legendary). This cost is even higher with Giants thanks to the new characters and price points.

Clearly it's a good idea to have a plan...this was ours: We printed up a "number chart" that went to 100 and bought some packs of "stars" like teachers use to place on the chart. Everytime our 5-year-old cleaned his room or fed the dog (his only real chores) he earned a star. If he had been especially helpful we would give bonus stars. Once he reached 50 stars he could get one skylander. This helped give him a sense of accomplishment and got him involved in the process, as well as laying groundwork for an allowance system (which we'll probably implement this coming year sometime). Over the course of the year he earned about 20 skylanders and never lost his interest in the game, and kept us from having to shell out a ton of money for the game all at once. Hopefully this helps anyone buying this game without wanting to shell out a ton of money all at once :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Skylanders Giants Starter Kit - Playstation 3, January 27, 2014
My son have the swap force first, but then he saw his cousin have this and then he want it too. Got this for him with PS3, it will also work on swap force patrol, but the swap force will not work the Giant patrol. I got both starter kit with PS3 and Wii, PS3 game show much better quality then Wii.

Skylanders Giants Starter Pack - Playstation 3