5.0 out of 5 stars Swapforce: Bigger, Better, Best
[03] REPLAY VALUE: 10/10
[04] AUDIO: 10/10
[05] COLLECTION: 9/10

Overall: 9.5/10

(use ctrl+f to see specific review components, using the numbers in the brackets)...
Published 8 months ago by Mannjon

3.0 out of 5 stars too easy
I got this for my son for christmas and he beat the game during christmas break. Nice game for kids but not too challenging.
Published 6 months ago by cherie allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Swapforce: Bigger, Better, Best, October 19, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Skylanders SWAP Force Starter Pack - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Quick Overview
[04] AUDIO: 10/10
[05] COLLECTION: 9/10

Overall: 9.5/10

[00]
Okay, round 3. This time, Activision has released the Swap Force which come apart and recombine for 256 unique characters. These new Swapforce characters have charm, and the ability to customize you character to your liking from 256 choices guarantees that there is a Skylander for everyone to like. There are some additional new "regular" characters as well that are unique and well developed additions to the Skylander family. CHARACTER DESIGN: 10/10
[01]
The graphics have got an update as well. The graphics also have a new level of detail that the previous games didn't have. The resulting game looks more polished, and the level design feels more like a set of individual levels (with a boss at the end) as opposed to a "series" of levels with a boss at the end of the "series" (as in the first and second game). In fact, each level feels like one of the Adventure pack levels in the sense that there a clear level goal and a boss. I personally like this type of gameplay, and find this to be an upgrade. GRAPHICS: 9/10
[02]
The little things are also important. Of course there are new character abilities, and new characters, but there are some new in game features that play off of the old ones. For example, there are now "upgrade pods" mid-level, so you can upgrade halfway though a level should you choose (without having to purchase an item as was the case with Giants). Jumping is HUGE! The ability to jump is not only fun, but adds some depth to the game and makes the game feel more like a throw-back side-scroller (only in 3-D instead of 2-D). On the slight downside, it is the "same old, same old" style of gameplay where you shoot, get treasure, upgrade and repeat, but that's expected and part of what makes this game what it is. GAMEPLAY: 9/10
[03]
**Possible Spoiler**
The new "Heroic Challenges" are more like mini-games than bonus levels, and you don't get upgraded stats for completing them. After unlocking the "Bonus Level" menu from regular gameplay, you can play a series of "Swapforce ability type specific" challenges for "Portal Master" stars. Long story short, you unlock a challenge for a rocket boost ability skylander that is a different minigame than a bounce type. The "Portal Master" stars unlock certain in game abilities (like using your legendary treasure for stat boosts!). The only downside is that these challenges can get tricky, and some abilities are only unlocked after reaching a certain Portal Master level. Some of the stars are achieved through "collecting accolades" so you may yet get stuck collecting the majority of the new characters. Replaying challenges and levels will keep you busy for many hours. REPLAY VALUE: 10/10
[04]
The audio is the same, but the music is an updated version of some of the same songs from the first two games. This is neither here not there, and to me, isn't much of an issue. The same key cast voice acting is the same and the new voices are well cast. AUDIO: 10/10
[05]
Activision is re-releasing some of the series 1 and 2 characters. This will be a negative for some collectors. Some may think that Activision is just "milking folks" for more money. I'm not here to judge Activision for their decision on this, and no one that reviews this game should do so also. But I will say this: you don't have to collect ALL of the different versions and variants to upgrade characters this time around (like the old Heroic Challenges for the first and second game). The only reason to "collect em all" is if you are a die hard fan and want to get all the Accolades. For those members that want to "platinum the game" for the PS3 version, you don't need to re-buy all the Skylanders you already have. Additionally, if you already have a series 1 or 2 Skylander, adding it to your collection will in essence "substitute" it for the series 3 one. You get an Elemental Boost for each Skylander you have regardless of the series, so it isn't essential to recollect the ones you already have. COLLECTION: 9/10
----------------------------------------------
Additional: The 2 player co-op is still GREAT! But I would have preferred to have an online play mode as well. The lack of online play is somewhat disappointing. On the PS3 version, you can see your friends' progress and level scores, but that's it. This feature is "neat" but pretty worthless. I want to be able to PLAY with my online friends, not brag. You can get trophies with this game (although getting them is time consuming, it isn't too tough to get most of them) which I like. I feel that the trophies add some additional replay value.
----------------------------------------------
PROS: Great level design, Better graphics, Refreshed gameplay, Well designed new characters, New in-game abilities, New game modes

CONS: Collecting is still a "soft-requirement", *Third round characters re-release, No Heroic Challenges to upgrade stats, No online play

4.0 out of 5 stars A great game. I still like Giants., October 21, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Let me preface this review by saying, there is no bigger Skylanders fanboy than I am. I love Skylanders!! From Spyros Adventure, to Giants and then to SWAP Force. I do love all 3 games. And I have virtually all released Skylanders available.

I love the colorfulness of the visuals. I love the RPG elements and the simpleness of the gameplay. Anything more complicated, and I become less interested.

What does SWAP Force get right? Nearly everything. The graphics are amazing. But, I wish I can see my Skylander on screen better, than a little blip on the middle of the screen. I could see it just fine in Giants.

The story is great. The characters and the dialogue are humorous and classic. The game explains itself to you, as you go along, telling you about upgrades and how legendary treasure works. Great, so far. And P.S., I love going against Kaos' mom near the end of the game.

I have a mixed feeling about jump. It's good and fun, but also at the same time, you need to be focused on gameplay, more so. Back in Giants, I could just zone out and play on autopilot, not really paying attention, and complete a level no problem. Here in SWAP Force, you need to be able to get really close to the edge and make sure you get the jump correctly. Also they disable you from being able to jump and attack at the same time. This sucks, in my opinion. Another thing, if you are charging up for an attack, and then you jump, you will lose the charge, and you have to hold down the button to charge it up again.

In Swap Force, I do like their charm system, where you complete missions, and you get a charm that will be a permanent bonus for the rest of the game. But I hate the repetitive time missions and score mode missions. It does provide re-playability but not fun re-playability. I hate the fact that I have to complete those just to get my portal master rank high enough so I can earn the best hat in the game. Its a grind.

I have a mixed opinion about the SWAP Force challenges. The Speed mission seems its just like a complete rip off from Temple Run. But if you've played Temple Run and wondered what it would be like with Skylanders, then you will love the mini game. I do have a mixed opinion about it... but overall I will say that I love it.

Oh one big thing actually, they say that they honor all Skylanders from previous games, but it seems like mostly all Skylanders from the older games are painfully weak against the opponents from the new game. I love Drobot and I was sorely disappointed when I was using him to throw down lasers on some enemy, and it was taking forever to knock it out. To their credit, they overall do respect the hard work you have done for your older Skylanders, in that, the stat benefits from completing heroic challenges do carry over to Swap Force.

I do love the SWAP feature. I love Night Shift's bottom half. So I do mix it in with either Nitro Magna or any other guy that I want to level up.

I love the game. There are a few disappointments. Currently, I play SWAP Force 75% of the time. The other 25%, I'm in Giants, either leveling up the reposes or working on heroic challenges.

Great game, great gameplay. Better than Disney Infinity.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but one draw back., December 8, 2013
i don't know if this has been said yet or not, but you CAN NOT use the old portals for this new game, which is a little frustrating but understandable. but other than that, the game is great, it carries the same family friendly charm that the other two have and is a good game for young family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO AWESOME!!!, February 19, 2014
If you're like me (the parent of a boy who loves gaming, but as a parent you understand that he doesn't want "little kid games" anymore but you don't want him playing First Person Shooter games either, lol), this is the game to pick!!! It's great for the kiddos that don't want to be stifled with the "baby games" anymore and are craving something a little more edgy with a lot more adventure! It comes with everything you need to get started and brings a great incentive to get the kids up and doing some chores too ("If you clean your room every day, you'll be able to buy a new Skylander to add to your collection in just 2 weeks!"). Plus, there are so many characters to add on later. Different elements, different stories, different possibilities! And I love that we can even use characters from the previous Skylanders games (Spyro's and Giants) as well as SWAP Force in the game. The starter pack box came to us in EXCELLENT condition and arrived super fast!!! And now I'm one happy mom!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game - almost perfect!, December 9, 2013
The Skylanders Swap Force and Giants before that has been great fun for both me and my son. I am a life long gamer and enjoy the game play and cool factor of swapping characters. The swap force characters take that cool factor to another level! Swap Force has added a few new game modes while keeping the previous game modes allowing for game play beyond the story line.

What sets the series apart to me is your life-span as a character. If your character runs out of health in-game, they do not 'die', but are forced to rest, allowing you to use another Skylander and pick up at the same moment your previous character ran out of health. Walking off cliffs or missing a jump is not cause for loss of life but an immediate respawn. This works out well for my son and I because I can perform a difficult sequence and when he re-spawns it is with me at the end of the sequence.

There are only two cons in my opinion. The first is that you want all the characters and that gets expensive. =) The second con is in regard to the cut scenes. The first time I play through a story line, I appreciate them. However, going back through to find missing treasure and bonuses, I would prefer to skip the characters explaining what to do. In Giants I could skip all talking immediately. Swap Force removes the option to move forward quickly in most places. The delay may just be load time, but there is no indication of that and I find it highly frustrating.

Overall it's a great game and I recommend it for all ages (that have the dexterity).

5.0 out of 5 stars great product!, June 19, 2014
My son is very excited!! Tha game was like the picture in the web page. The figures are well constructed and resistent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Skylanders swap force, May 29, 2014
I am very pleased that the game got to my grandson for his birthday on time. It got there on the date they told me. The game was complete. My grandson was very happy it was all he wanted from me and as a grandmother if my grandchild is happy then I am happy. If anyone is looking for this video game then you are in the right place getting it from Amazon is the right choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game and neat gimmick, May 29, 2014
The swap function of SOME of the characters is pretty neat and my 7 year old has had lots of fun playing with them in game and real world. All previous characters work with this game as he was able to use his characters from Giants in this game.
Only downside is there is a whole new set of figures I get to hear about him wanting me to buy. Haha

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift, May 21, 2014
my daughter loved it and it is now her favorite game. It is a very entertaining game not just for kids but for adults / parents too..

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas, May 21, 2014
Christmas from grandma to my son it's a cool game my son and I bought play it a lot thank you

Skylanders SWAP Force Starter Pack - Playstation 3