Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Edition: Darklight CryptChange
Price:$9.99 - $169.99

on November 1, 2011
I'm not sure what the other reviewers are talking about, but I have played Skylanders extensively, with and without my preschooler. The game itself is a lot of fun to play, and $20 is not a lot of money to pay for 4 collectible figures and an additional chapter inside the game that provides a new hat and soul gems for other characters. The adventure itself is not terribly difficult, but was a lot of fun with novel gameplay elements of the "living world" and the "spirit world" and the need to switch between these to change abilities of enemies, enable the collection of items, and the opening of doors. Essentially the entire chapter is a puzzle, and it was a lot of fun.

Contrary to the reviews suggesting you can just by the character seperately, you cannot, not at this time anyways. The included character, Ghost Roaster (who is not available individually at this time), is by far the most fun, and possibly overpowered character I've used so far. He is a melee undead character, and his special ability is turning into a laughing, flaming skull that plows through any emenies or breakables in his path. I use this as a primary attack since it is so good, and I also use it to move quickly around the chapters since it moves at about 3 times the speed of normal walking. After training, enemies killed will produce ghosts that also attack enemies, and can eventually be consumed by Roaster to heal damage. Great character.

Also included are the Time Twister and Healing potion. While I haven't had the need or the curiousity to use the Twister yet, the Healing potion is an invaluable tool that any serious player will want at his/her disposal. It is not an instant heal, but rather has a HoT effect, and there is a fixed duration of the HoT you can apply per chapter. I haven't depleted it or performed quantitative measure on the amount of HP it heals, but if is more than enough to save you when you are getting clobbered or need to recover before a boss fight.

The negative reviews for this item come from people complaining about the price. This is a $20 character/adventure pack. They are all $20 from ToysRUs. If you do not have a TRU near you, buy at their website if you don't like the price on Amazon. Don't rate the item 1 star because you don't like the price. This is a very good expansion with one of the best/most fun characters I've played to date, novel and fun chapter, and a healing potion. Maybe if the other reviewers had actually played the expansion, they could have given it a fair review.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 28, 2011
We have all collectively put over 10 hours bordering 20 into this game(and have beaten it) so i feel as though i have a good perspective on all the characters, adventure packs, etc. I would definitely recommend buying this adventure pack for your Skylander family. Ghost Roaster isn't one of our favorites but i would buy this expansion(essentially thats what it is) because it gives you an extra chapter to play in the game, and the two accessories are very handy. The elixir(on the bottom right of the packaging) gives your skylanders health over a short period of time. You can remove the elixir from the portal of power before its time is up, and use the remaining portion for a later time. You get a full elixir at the beginning of each new chapter and once its run out, you're done for that chapter. The Time Turner(on the top right) slows down time for everything in the game except for you(and your teammate). It also only lasts a short amount of time and is very useful for boss fights. Of the two, i'd saw the elixir is more useful, we use it much more often. As for the bonus level, it took us about 15 min to get through and collect all of the items. For our family, we think it was well worth the $20 since we love the game. If you're a parent buying it for your child, it isn't completely necessary to complete the game...but it makes it just that much better! Your kid will be very happy with it!

The best piece of advice i can offer if you're new to the game: GET AT LEAST ONE OF EVERY CHARACTER TYPE BEFORE YOU BEGIN!!! You need certain elements to get past gates and having all the character elements is key. This includes: Wind, life, undead, water, earth, magic, fire and tech.
on November 19, 2011
I've gotten Ghost Roaster, and he is an excellent Undead Skylander (plus it's fun to hear his psychotic cackle when he's in skull-mode). I had difficulty finding on the ruins map, at first, but once I played it, it was both fun and challenging. This level is one giant puzzle, and you have to switch between the real world and the "Ghost World" with these "day/night" platforms called Spectral Shifters.

Your mission is to find out why a plump, jolly pie baker is losing all his ghostly customers (since they actually enjoyed eating his pies over... well... eating brains. WHAT?! They're undead!). There is also a boss fight (of sorts), and though it may not be an epic fight, the music that comes with the battle IS (the music used for the Eruptor, Lightning Rod, and Cynder demos, among a few more).

Additionally, both the healing elixir and the time twister are handy (the Time Twister is good for characters with slow, close-range move characters, like Stump Smash, or Bash).

I mentioned in the Pirate Seas level (in a response) that beating that level gives you a mini-game; For Darklight Crypt... you get additional food for healing (here's a hint for the hip as to what kind of food it is: "Everybody loves *noun with three letters*")
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 3, 2012
I have played this game a lot with my son over Christmas break and can assure you that THIS IS AN AWESOME ADVENTURE PACK! We have made it through 18 of the 22 levels with these tools on board. My son is 6 and I am not an avid gamer. Ghost Roaster is eventually one of the fastest; strongest kick butt characters out there with upgrades. He is a green, glowing skull that has an evil laugh as he attacks through everything. He was invaluable in the undead world and I don't know if we could have made it through with Hex alone (she wasn't upgraded and quickly dies in the beginning). Ghost Roaster has become a pleasant surprise, he quickly became one of our strongest characters. We have 25 out of 32 total characters of which 6 aren't released yet and Ignitor is sold in the Nintendo DS starter pack with the game. The Healing Potion keeps you from dying in a boss battle which is nice because you lose the ability to meet your objectives for that level when you die. The Time Twister we hesitated to use when we first got it because I thought it would make us redo the battle (that we were currently in) from the beginning. To my pleasant surprise this is not the case at all. The Time Twister simply makes your opponents slow way down in speed while you proceed to attack at a normal speed. It's like your character is on steroids and your opponents ate too much pasta before the battle. I have to honestly say we haven't moved through the additional level of the "Darklight Crypt" yet.. I am sort of tired of the undead eerie stuff at the moment (my son doesn't like that part much). I would gladly pay $20.00 for Ghost Roaster, Time Twister, and the Healing Elixir alone. If I had to make a choice for my #1 UNDEAD character at this point it would be Ghost Roaster!

SIDE NOTE: I got the BradyGames Strategy guide in this week and can further tell you that there are a total of 4 Adventure packs that will be released. They are Pirate Seas with Terrafin (Rock element), Darklight Crypt with Ghost Roaster (Undead element), another called Dragon's Peak with Sunburn (Fire element), and Empire of Ice with Slam Bam (Water element). These characters will only be available in the adventure packs. I hope these others are as cool as Ghost Roaster.

We couldn't have made it through all the levels without Ghost Roaster, the Healing Potion, Time Twister and I think that the Darklight Crypt was the most challenging bang for the buck level! It also has the best Magic Items. Dragon's Peak would be my second choice if I had to decide..but it's a close call to Pirate Seas. Dragon's Peak is challenging because of the critical hit impact of the fire etc. along the way. The winged boot gives your characters the ability to run (not fly) extremely fast for a brief period of time and ..I am embarrassed to admit.. I just discoved that you can use the extra Magic Items that come with the Advanture Packs during the Heroic Challenges.. Pirate Seas would be my third choice mainly due to how cool Terrafin is..none of the other characters can swim underground. Pirate Seas isn't that challenging from a "fighting" aspect. There are battles..don't get me wrong..but the hardest part for us was just getting through one of the areas that contains a hat and some treasure. It has some memory card games here and there but my son in kindergarten hasn't had to repeat any of them. The Ghost Swords are pretty cool too..we have used them in many final battles and they are even handy in the new iPhone app game called "Skylanders Cloud Patrol". Empire of Ice should have been released before Christmas..the "bad guys" wear SANTA HATS??? It was pretty cool but my number one complaint was that it was just too easy and quick. My Kindergarten son completed it in less than 30 min all by himself. I like Slam Bam pretty well out of our 33 Skylanders, but I would have liked to be able to just pay $9 for him alone.

The current figures will still work within it. SOME of the characters from the original release will be getting a re-pose!! The re-poses will work in both the original Skylanders game and the new "Giants" version. The series 2 re-poses will work in both versions of the games too, but the series 2 versions will have additional powers within the Giants version. GHOST ROASTER IS NOT GETTING A RE-POSE! It says online that the Adventure Packs will open an additional level within the "Giants" version. There won't be any new Adventure Packs, just two Battle Packs that will have an additional PVP arena in them (I'm guessing based on the fact that the first one released has an additional arena in it). BUY IT NOW!

SKYLANDERS III IN 2013! It sounds like a lot of the "phased out" figures that weren't brought back for Skylanders Giants will come back in 2013. Ghost Roaster might be one of them.. but if you can get him now I would for the simple use of his extra level for Skylanders Giants, and the two magic items. I don't have "Eye Brawl" the new giant ...but I do have the rest available at this time and Ghost Roaster and Cynder are two of my Undead Favorites still.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2013
For those of you, like me, that came into the Skylanders world a little late (I just started after Christmas 2012), have hope! I was very sad to see what this Adventure Pack was selling for online. I had almost convinced myself to pay the outrageous prices in order to get it, because the reviews I had read made it sound like so much fun!

However, persistence did pay off, and I can confirm that this item is NOT out of print. It's just very difficult to find, perhaps because the scalpers are buying them all up and selling them online. I went to my local Target store on MLK day a week ago (2013), and I was beside myself with excitement to see this Adventure Pack on the shelf (along with Dragon's Peak, which I picked up for my sister). It had not been there days before, so they obviously got a new shipment in, and this was in it! And it was just the normal MSRP ($19.99), same as the other Adventure Packs.

As for the game play, it's a fun level because the "twist" for this level is changing between the Ghost World and the Real World. Some bad guys are Statues in the Real World (and easy to shatter), but in Ghost World they are powerful enemies. Stone blocks are blocking your path in the Ghost World, but move in the Real World. So there's a really enjoyable puzzle-type aspect to it, where you need to take note of your surroundings and sometimes even backtrack to be able to move forward in the level.

I highly recommend this Adventure Pack, but I also recommend you try to just find it at your local stores. It may just take some time.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2012
I can't justify writing a long review for this, so I'm going to keep it brief.

If you or your kids can't get enough of Skylanders, this is worth the $20. The level that comes with it isn't anything special, so don't get this expansion for the level. The character and extra items are where you get your bang for the buck.

Both the healing elixir and the time twister can get you out of a jam. Ghost Roaster is one of the more fun characters to play too.
on November 11, 2011
The Skylander pricing for the 3 character packs or the adventure expansion packs (which have 1 character, 1 item and two treasures) is $19.99. The expansion packs (the one here with skull roaster at this point is only sold in Toy's R Us for $19.it9 and the one with the Terrafin (Shark) character and the Pirate Ship expansion pack is $19.99 nearly everywhere (Target, Gamestop, Best Buy, Toy's R Us, Wal-Mart). The reason this Adventure pack is overpriced online is that it is exclusive to one brick and mortar retailer so buy it there at $19.99 or wait. The reason the expansion packs only have 1 character (and other items instead of two more characters) is that they UNLOCK a part of the Skylander's game you can't play without the expansion packs. Thus, you are getting additional game content on the expansion packs wheras the 3 character packs give you 3 characters (cheaper than buying them separately at 7.99 each retail) but they don't unlock any additional game content that you can't already play with the Skylanders game disc itself ...................Don't spend over $7.99 for individual characters, $19.99 for 3 character packs or Expansion packs as otherwise you are paying ABOVE RETAIL PRICING....
on January 21, 2012
My boys got this expansion pack for Christmas, and it has been very worthwhile. First of all, the Ghost Roaster character becomes very strong when he is upgraded. He is our family's favorite undead character. The Healing Elixer and Time Twister are both helpful for big battles. They can only be used completely once per chapter, but you can take them off the portal before they run out of power, and finish using them later. The extra level that comes with the set is fun, and allows you to find the soul gem for the included Ghost Roaster character. The best feature of all though is one we discovered by accident (and I haven't seen mentioned in any other review.) Once you have placed the Darklight Crypt figure on the portal to open the level, the figure becomes even more powerful. Once per chapter (anywhere in the game), you can put it on the portal with your characters and it will "Unleash the power of the undead on your enemies." (In other words it creates a powerful rain that damages some of the enemies on the screen.) In battles where you need to fight several strong enemies at once, it is a great advantage. (The pirate ship in the Pirate Seas expansion set does something very similar.)
I do know, however, that the prices being charged here are ridiculous. The set retails for $19.99 and I have seen it in Toys R Us in the last week for $14.99. Be patient and wait until you see it at a reasonable price. The tag above claiming that it has been discontinued is false. The manufacturer has not stopped making this set, and you will be able to find it the regular price. Don't be fooled by people trying to create an artificial shortage. If we don't give them our money, the prices will come down.
on December 1, 2014
The Darklight Crypt is a bit pricey, but it is worth it if you are a vollector, because the pieces are fantastic looking. If you are a player, I still say go for it. Both magic items are extremely helpful. One heals you, the other slows time. The character, Ghost Roaster, is super fun to play as, and the level itself is one of the most enjoyable in the game.
on December 13, 2012
My 11 year-old is almost too old for Skylanders, but it hit at just the right time. He plays with it about once a month and loves that new and different characters come with extended gaming choices. It is such a cool concept, to change characters as you wish and change what you can and can't do in the game. It's simple enough for young kids, but still holds my older kid's attention. I will keep it around for neighbor kids who visit and nieces and nephews. Cool game. Cool characters. Cool story-telling in the game. Go Activision! I recommend it from 5 (with some help for reading and making choices) up to about 10.