5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting at all...
Published on October 18, 2011 by Justin Estrada

2.0 out of 5 stars Two stars for the description not the game
We bought the PC version only to find out when looking at the box when it arrived that the it is keyboard only, no controller. We immediately returned it and got the wii version. Much better. However, if you buy the PC version be prepared to only use the keyboard.
Published 18 months ago by Lissa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting at all..., October 18, 2011
This review is from: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC (CD-ROM)
When I first saw a screenshot of this game, I absolutely despised it due to our beloved Spyro getting a major change in character design that looks like a mix between some sort of insect and a dragon, and due to the fact that Spyro is not the main character anymore. Being a true Spyro fan, however, I took the risk and bought the starter pack. After playing for an hour, my view of the game changed (almost) completely. I still find Spyro's character design to be horrendous, but I found the gameplay was not bad and the storyline good. One thing I found annoying is the absence of a jump. I don't get why they don't have a jump button for the PC/console versions. Besides the missing jump button, I was okay with the controls. Gameplay wise, you have two basic attacks: primary and secondary. As you play throughout the game, you can upgrade these attacks. Also, you eat to recover your health. Interesting. The graphics are good, childish in nature, but this game was made for children. Going through the first level, defeating bad guys was fun. And I like Spyro's charge in this game. And there is co-op. Just put another character on the portal and tada! The second character just pops up in the game! All without interrupting it! You can play co-op or head to head where you fight each other.
I like the idea that these little action figures can store data that is amassed in the game. You can hook it up to another PC/console and the data is still there, saved in the little Spyro. Not only that, but you can take your action figure and place it on another Portal of Power that is hooked up to a different console and still play it there! And if you switch characters, it doesn't interrupt the game either. You just switch characters in-game! This idea was incredibly ingenious.
I was thinking about just passing up on this game, and I'm glad I didn't. After so many games that could only be described as boring (in my OPINION), this is a fun game. The musical score sort of reminds me of the original Spyro trilogy soundtracks. Although, one thing I must state: certain places can not be accessed without a certain Skylander. This means you will need to buy at least 5 other characters, 1 for each elemental class you don't have. I would say buy the 3 Character Pack 3, Stealth Elf, and Sonic Boom. That will give you all 8 elements. That comes to about an extra $39.97. It's a lot to pay for a game, I know. If you're going to buy this game for Christmas, make sure you save enough to buy these extras, or if you don't feel like wasting your money, just go buy a different game. I had money saved, so I was fortunate enough.
I wouldn't recommend it to people who are too closed minded to try something new or people who are low on funds, but for those with the extra money and the open mind to try something new, I highly recommend.
I was really shocked with this game. Even though the developers screwed with the series, they did it in a fun way.
I realize that there is nothing about the plot up there. Well, basically you are saving the Skylands from Kaos. You are the Portal Master and must, using the Skylanders, defeat Kaos, an evil Portal Master.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty fun, November 22, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC (CD-ROM)
I found this game really fun, however if you have a Wii, PS3 or Xbox 360, you should consider buying one of those versions instead. This PC version is essentially those versions except for the PC. Since the game was originally designed for the Wii, there will be moments where you have to wiggle the mouse or move it around to open chests and use keys. You can't change the controls for the keyboard, and your friends will have to bring their joysticks along if you want to play multiplayer.

This game is aimed at younger children, but the young at heart can also enjoy it. It plays like a dungeon crawler with button-mashing attacks and light RPG elements. The characters will become personal to you as they level up and get upgraded. There are also hats to collect that allow you to customize your characters. You have to buy upgrades (using game currency) in the hub world to give your characters more attacks/abilities, and you will eventually come to upgrade "branches", meaning you will choose to upgrade the character a certain way, making them even more unique to you. The puzzles are relatively simple, and the only really frustrating moments are when you're ambushed by powerful enemies.

You will need deep pockets to fully enjoy this game, because it does twist your arm to buy more characters. There are elemental gates throughout the game that can only be unlocked by characters of a certain element, and accessing these areas counts towards 100% game completion. There are also times when you find powers for characters you don't have, and the game shows you a preview of the character just to convince you to buy them.

Sometimes characters can suddenly drop out then come back into the game (they suddenly get de-summoned and then summoned again) at random points, but it doesn't happen too often.

I hope Nintendo does something like this with Pokemon soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Skylanders Spyro's Adventure for pc/mac, December 11, 2011
jjnryan (Sitka, Alaska) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC (CD-ROM)
We've now played this game for about a week. I installed it on a couple different Windows pc's (winxp Pentium 4 3.2ghz, vista core2 duo 3.1ghz, and win7 i3 1.7 ghz) to see which would work best. I was hoping it would work on our Pentium 4 3.2ghz machines from 2006 since one of them was using our 40" lcd flat screen. ( No I didn't check the minimum specs. ) However, it installed fine on each machine. Only the vista core2 duo machine could play the game decently and quite well in fact.

The key combinations work quite well (asdw and jkli), but it's a little clumsy to change to the mouse for keys/doors. I haven't tried to use the mouse to attack. Moving and attacking with the mouse would have been wonderful! :) We have played through the first five or six adventures and have redone several to level up different skylanders or find all the items.

We demo'd a wii version at Walmart, and hoped the pc version would provide more portability and the same level of multiplayer; however, so far, the pc version is all single player. We have ordered some pc game controllers to see if the multiplayer is as fun on pc.

One glitch for the winxp machine was after installing we had to play in coop mode. The first skylander just stood there and we were asked to press 'k' to join. No other keys worked until the second skylander on the portal. At that time, the second skylander could move etc using the keyboard but the first skylander was still stuck. I'm working with Activision to trouble-shoot this problem via email, website, and facebook. Facebook had the quickest response, but we haven't solved it yet.

Another annoying aspect is that sometimes your skylander will leave the game in the middle of a fight or as you are moving around. You remove the skylander from the portal and then place it again and it works fine. This may have to do with where you are in the game or where the skylander is on the portal. Some of our skylanders are still in their packages and others are single pieces. Both types do this occasionally, but not consistently or in any pattern. For our skylanders in the three packs if the portal reads more than one skylander, it stops the game and 'says', "there are too many skylanders on the portal please remove one" and we move the three pack around until it only reads one. Not sure why this happens when you are suppose to be able to play coop in the adventure mode.

One other thing I did to enhance gameplay was turn my mouse sensitivity to the minimum and typematic key repeat settings to minimum. Otherwise, after running a short distance I would get "dings" for every key press. Even at those settings, we still get the occassional ding and quit the game to the desktop and restart to solve the ding problem.

Some of the first puzzles are quite easy but the difficulty increases the further into the game you go. Right! :) Some are quite fun to figure out and others are just time consuming. Graphics, audio, and gameplay are entertaining.

Okay, so I'd recommend this game, just be aware that the pc version may focus on single player unless those controllers come through with flying colors. Also, be aware that your pc may not run the game very well depending on specs.

Minimum System Requirements from the activision site[...]
· Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP or Windows Vista(R) (Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are unsupported)

· Microsoft DirectX(R) 9.0c (included) (Windows Vista users will need to install the DirectX 9.0c update included in the game disc)

· CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.0 GHz or AMD(R) Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ processor or better supported

· RAM: 512MB RAM (1GB for Windows Vista)

· VIDEO CARD: 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 6600GT or better or ATI Radeon(TM) 1600XT or better (onboard chipsets not supported)

· SOUND CARD: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

· HDD SPACE: 8GB of free hard drive space

· HOSTING: To host Co-op or Multiplayer matches, a 2Ghz dual-core or better processor is recommended.

· INTERNET: Broadband connection and service required for Multiplayer Connectivity

My systems specs:

winxp Pentium 4 3.2ghz, 3gb ram, 160gb hd, invidia Geforce7300 LE 512mb, 19inch lcd monitor
vista 32bit core 2 duo 2.5ghz, 3gb ram, 250gb hd invidia GeForce 8600m GT 1.5 gb shared video memory 17inch lcd laptop
win7 home premium 64bit, core i3 2.1ghz, 4gb ram, 320gb hd, intel gma hd integrated graphics 1.5gb shared memory, 15.4inch lcd laptop

I hope this helps all of you potential and previous buyers. :)

******-Updated 12/13/2011****

Okay, we have since purchased 2 generic usb controllers but the game doesn't allow all the left stick to work. We can only use buttons 1-10 but not move. Very disappointing. Contacted Activision support and have lots of dialogue but no real solutions. Now our portal won't accept skylanders. Sometimes if we hold the skylander above the portal it will accept it, but not always. We've tried different skylanders, both in and out of the packaging and nothing consistently give results. I tried rebooting, using different usb ports, and ordered a powered usb hub to try once it arrives.

As of now, I'm very disappointed in the quality of technical help from activision and the sustainability of the game. It worked for a few days but now seems to have too many glitches to play.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two stars for the description not the game, January 11, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars TWO PLAYER MODE DOES NOT WORK FOR PC., December 25, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC (CD-ROM)
The two player mode will not work on PC. You need to know this up front if you intend to buy this product. I should also warn you that the keyboard controls listed in the instructions is partial. Good luck figuring out basic commands that help you do things like close a window, or choose options in a window. Tried to log on to Activision customer support, but it wouldn't take country and birth date info. So basically they couldn't get their own website to function properly. Their FAQ lists your problem, but not the solution. Instead it gives you an 800 number and a warning that call times are absurdly long because all their new games need customer support. So, I can't play this with my son which was the whole point. Can't send it back because kid would freak. Thanks Activision for being a steaming pile of pooh. A full set of instructions and some FAQ answers would have made all the difference (unless false advertising is the real problem).

update: spyro figure stopped working. "There is a problem with this Skylander toy.", the game states when placing it on portal. Wow, it lasted a whole 4 days! Thanks Activision!

TY Google. To fix broken toy on PC,play the game with unbroken toy. Place broken toy on portal. Press Control+Esc and then pull usb chord. Wait 20 secs and place usb chord back in same port. Voila!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Escapism, November 6, 2011
This review is from: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC (CD-ROM)
Installing the game is old school clunky (they should have put the game inside the portal), but once you get past that you are in for a very fun game. It's simple to play, colorful, and swapping characters on the portal works flawlessly. There is no jump button, instead they use bouncing platforms. Even so, this is still a platforming game. If you liked the old Maximo series on PS2, Rachet and Clank, or anything along those lines then you know what to expect from this. Its just a fun game. The story is cute and light. The action is easy and enjoyable. The levels are filled with places to look around. Its just a good game all around. A nice diversion from the everyday grind.

The only down side is that if you want to see the whole game you need to have one character from each element. If they ever release a sequel I would guess you can use characters you buy for it too. It's not really a Spyro game, it's a Skylander game starring Spyro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game fun for kids and adults, November 4, 2011
This review is from: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC (CD-ROM)
I give this game 5 stars because it works well (and anyone with any sense knows you check the specs before you purchase a game) and it's easy to work with. So innovative too.

I love that my son can play with the family on the xbox but if he wants to play it on his own on his desktop computer, he can. I love that the figures can be used on the desktop or the xbox, it doesn't matter. If one of his friends as a PS3, they will play on that too.

Also I love that the price of the additional figures are so reasonably priced. It's something people can afford esily to give him, and he himself can use allowance money he earns to purchase. Since with each new figure, the game changes somewhat, it's like getting a new game experience as you add on characters.

I say well done, and we are glad to have it in our home.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uses secuROM, January 18, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC (CD-ROM)
Be aware that Skylanders uses secuROM. secuROM requires the DVD to be in the drive when the game starts up. Using secuROM is an odd choice for Skylander since they could have used the Portal of Power as a copy protection dongle. Putting a DVD in might work for most but unfortunately for me I have a Mac book retina that doesn't come with a DVD drive. It's a dealbreaker for me.

Also, Skylanders is labeled as Windows only. However, the DVD-rom will support both Windows and OS X.

5.0 out of 5 stars also, May 27, 2014
This review is from: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC (CD-ROM)
This is a great game for all ages.Well worth the money and is hours of fun and game play is good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get it to install, April 25, 2014
This review is from: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC (CD-ROM)
Couldn't get it to instal so I can't really write a positive or negative review. Will change it when I make a new VHD to put it on.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - PC by Activision Publishing (Windows Vista / XP)
$59.99 $31.99