Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 6:50:33 AM PST
Jed says:
I have a question for any one willing to answer.

Last year, I bypassed Skylanders, thinking that it was a game that I wouldn't be interested in. But since then, I have read heard good things about it. I understand the whole jest of buying different characters to unlock them in the game. But what is the game play like? Is it a game that an adult would like? Is it comparable to Zelda? If not which game is it comparable to? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 10:52:40 PM PST
Steve says:
Get Wii U Giants. You will like it.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:19:46 PM PST
Jed says:
Steve, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Do you have any thoughts on the gameplay? Is it like any other game or is it unique, unlike anything else?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:40:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 2:10:05 AM PST
Steve says:
It is unique. Get it.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 2:45:06 AM PST
Keola Weaver says:
My nephew has the original Skylanders Spyros Adventure for Wii. Maybe I'll give it a try to see what the gameplay is like. And if I like it I'll b getting Skylanders Giants also.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:04:35 PM PST
Maybe not a game you'd pull out jumping up and down and play it until 3:00 in the morning, but it's a fun game for the family.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 3:39:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 8:01:26 PM PST
Steve says:
Jed- Sorry about my breif answers. Been kinda busy lately. It is hard to recommend things like games, music, movies, food, etc... because everybody has different "tastes", but I'll give it a shot. It is smart to ask about this game before buying because it can get expensive. You can complete all the levels (not the whole game) with just the starter pack but you will be missing out on alot of gameplay and not be able to open all areas needed to actually complete the whole game. You will need a total of at least one giant and one skylander for each of the remaining 7 elements, giant or not, to really complete the game. The starter pack comes with a "life giant", "undead", and "air" skylanders. Add one of each magic, tech, earth, fire, and water element skylander and you can open all areas and complete the whole game. It does not matter giant, new, or old game skylander as long as it is the right "element". This is a kids game but has some "twists" that keep most adults interested. As far as gameplay, pretty much kill the enimies, collect things, solve puzzles and finish the level. There is a bit more than that but you get the idea. The fun comes in with the skylanders themselves. Each skylander has different attacks, powers, and specs that you upgrade through gameplay. Because of this, your kid and their friend may own the same skylander character, but they will be different depending on how they have played in the past. It's like they develope their own personalities. You can change skylanders at anytime during gameplay to suit the situation. Another good thing is your skylanders will work on a friends x-box or ps3 as long as they have the portal and software. If you have kid(s) in the 4 to 10 year old range, I would highly recommend this game (if you can fit it in the budget). Adults without kids should try before buying.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:33:51 AM PST
Just want to add my opinion. I'm a 25 year old male. No kids. Live alone currently. And I really enjoy this game (for PS3 anyway). I wasn't aware you needed all 8 giants to complete the game (haven't seen any giant element specific areas yet). I haven't played this game a ton, but I thought you just need at least one giant and at least one of each element type (not all have to be giants). This was just my understanding, I may be wrong.

Basically the gameplay is using a skylander of your choice to go through levels and fight things along the way. Certain areas in each level may be blocked off unless you use a certain type of skylander (fire, water, etc). But these are just bonus areas and will not stop you from beating the level. When you beat a level you can see a breakdown of what you found in the level. There are several different things to find in each level (treasure chests with gold, gift boxes that have hats (you can equip hats to boost a skylanders traits), legendary treasure (i think this is what it is called), along with some other things). In order to get all items in every level would be where you need at least one skylander of each element (and a giant (or more if i'm incorrect above)). Some of the hidden items can be tricky to find and may take a few playthroughs of a level.

So despite it being HEAVILY marketed towards kids, I find the gameplay enjoyable and the characters well made (both in game and in toy form, haha).

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 7:59:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 8:26:05 AM PST
Steve says:
Happy Thanksgiving Ryan. Addicting game isn't it. I just got my Wii U set-up last night so I have not played Giants yet. I have the Wii U starter pack and 3 additional giants that we will break out later today. I'm about 70% thru skylander adventure on xbox. The original game is pretty much the same on any console. Anybody that has skylanders (on any console) needs to get the Bradygames guide Skylanders Giants Official Strategy Guide. Worth it just for the stickers :) Easy game to play but hard to explain..

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 8:37:57 AM PST
Jed says:
Steve, thank you for the lengthy review of skylanders and the great advice. I have four kids. Three of them are between the ages of four and ten. (The fourth is still little, but he one day will like video games too.:)) After reading your review, I took my kids into the local Walmart. Walmart had a trial version of the Skylanders set up. I didn't even have to say anything to my kids and they were drawn to it, like bees to honey. We were able to interact with it and I was able to play a little. My first impressions were very good.

For the last couple of days, Skylander's has been the topic of conversation amongst my children. I have told them that they will have to ask Santa Clause for it. I figure that the giants and regular characters will make great stocking stuffers.

I purchased the Wii version, since the Wii U will be set upstairs and the Wii will be moved downstairs with my kids. They will be able to play on either console. I look forward to collecting all the figures. I have found that some figures are extremely hard to find. I was only able to pick up five of the eight giants. But maybe the hunt for these hard to find collectibles wil make this game more iconic. I'm looking forward to playing this fun game with my kids. (Maybe even alone. LOL)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 8:44:27 AM PST
Jed says:
Thanks Ryan for the additional info of gameplay. This game sounds extremely fun and I am looking forward to this game. Plus I love original ideas. This is a very innovative platformer.

Maybe it is the kid in me, but I'm looking forward to collecting the figures. I was the same way as a child. I had to own all the Transformers. (Even the Dino-bots) I still have all of them and my oldest boy plays with a them. This game is creative and so far seems to be well-made.

I can't wait to play this and I'm looking forward to Christmas day.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 9:12:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 9:14:18 AM PST
Steve says:
Jed, you're only regret will be in the wallet. But it's worth it. Be sure to get the bradygames guide. Priceless. Just try not to show it to the kids. They will want every skylander out there. Bad idea. Will explain later. You made the right call. Game on. Happy Tday.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 9:35:37 AM PST
Jed says:
Thanks again and I will definitely check out the Brady guide.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 10:12:58 AM PST
Steve says:
No "check out" talk. JUST GET IT!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 10:54:29 AM PST
Jed says:
LOL okie dokie

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:20:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 7:43:14 PM PST
Steve says:
I appologize for incorrect info I posted Nov. 18 2012 as far as skylanders needed to get thru all levels vs. skylanders needed to complete all objectives (really finish game) and edited the post accordingly.

Need to add "don't feed the scalpers". Typically characters are restocked 2 or 3 times within a few months after initial release. Don't limit your searches to amazon.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 5:27:24 PM PST
V. Fernandes says:
Hello everyone, I was curious for this game, I saw videos on youtube, I was a bit confused, do you write any word and that thing comes up on screen?

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 1:15:37 PM PST
Steve says:
Which video are you refering to?

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 3:20:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2013 3:21:55 PM PST
V. Fernandes says:
Sorry guys, I had confused this game with scribblenauts. Please let me know of both these 2 games.
Whats this sylanders, is it like an adventure of the lykes of spyro the Dragon,on the playstation 1? I liked that years ago. Also I used to like Ape Escape and most of all, crash bandicoot, I would love to get a game like that.

I hear also many good things about Lego City, I have never played a lego game, and was never a fan of legos, but everyone keeps saying it will be a fantastic game, I'm not sure if i should get it.

Back to skylanders, I saw people scanning like toys, whats that all about? Can I just use the game without the toys?

Also I am a29year old adult, but I really dont mind cartoonish games as long as it has some nice puzzles or challenges.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:18:41 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 29, 2013 5:13:37 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 5:13:30 PM PST
Steve says:
I never have played the old "spiro the dragon" game, but have heard from others it is totally different gameplay and spiro in the early game is "cute" where the new spiro looks "mean".

"I have never played a lego game" - Lego Star Wars was our favorite game till Skylanders came around...

"Can I just use the game without the toys?"- No. As Ryan and I stated earlier, you need at least 1 skylander to complete all levels (starter kit comes with 3), and a total of 8 skylanders (one of each element) to complete the entire game and objectives.

"I really dont mind cartoonish games as long as it has some nice puzzles or challenges."- The puzzles are good, challenges great.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 5:20:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2013 5:21:04 PM PST
V. Fernandes says:
Ok, ill pass on skylanders, Im still curious about Lego city, but i doubt I would buy it but everyone seems so excited about it, something about it being legos that turns me off, i cant exactly say what as other cartoonish games I seem to accept well, example, I actually liked a lot the 'Toy Story' game on ps1 or was it ps2, cant remember.
I am still curious also on scribblenauts but that might be a bit difficult for me as English is not my main language.

I guess Ill wait for a demo on lego city to try, but with so many games coming I will probably skip it, I bought yesterday assassins 3 for half price, I still need Mass effect 3 and Black ops2. Also I will get, Aliens, Rayman, Monster Hunter, Pikmin 3, Wonderfull 101. Thats more games than I can cope with for a few months. I still havent finished mario and zombiU also.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 6:14:02 PM PST
Steve says:
MAN!! That's aloda games! (and money). Have fun!

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 6:33:52 PM PST
V. Fernandes says:
I know right? In fact I think the wii U is the right balance for me, when I had the ps3 there were far too many games that I wanted and not nearly enough time forcing me to run through games in a rush. In fact some of those games I could skip, like assassins 3 as some people say it's boring, I will see what I think of it, but for 25dollars I just bought it anyway.

In the past I used to buy games late, getting them at cheap prices. This is the first time that I pay over 30dollares for a game (zombiU and more to come).

Hopefully Nintendo takes time with the next games after June as I will be busy. I prefer if they take time and give us a better game later.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 8:32:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 10:57:21 PM PST
Steve says:
I'm very close to totally completing Spiro's Adventure on the 360, so I have only played 4 chapters in Wii U Giants but would like to share a few observations. Activision really made good use of the gamepad. You can play the game, like most Wii u games, on the pad without the TV, but the really cool stuff comes in when playing on the TV. By touching the lower right corner of the gamepad, you can "toggle" between "skylander stats" and "game objectives" on the gamepad screen. Without the gamepad, you have to "pause" the game and go thru menus to get this info. At first I thought it was just another gamepad gimmic, but it is very usefull for more advanced players. It helps the player determain if they are using the their best skylander for the situation, and if there may be a need to backtrack for a missed objective, "on the fly".

In general, it seems they made several steps forward without taking any back.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo Wii U Console - 32GB Black Deluxe Set
Nintendo Wii U Console - 32GB Black Deluxe Set by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii U)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (629)