4.0 out of 5 stars Falling Skies
The Review:

Skyline is the new alien invasion disaster movie and it's been dinged pretty hard by some mainstream reviewers. I saw it opening day and I think that it's actually one of the better alien invasion movies, emphasis on the word alien. It's Independence Day done right.

Skyline is set in modern day LA and chronicles 3 days in the life of a...
Published on December 8, 2010 by Dark Faerie Tales

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be afraid to look up
Published on November 12, 2010 by Ian

4.0 out of 5 stars Falling Skies, December 8, 2010
The Review:

Skyline is set in modern day LA and chronicles 3 days in the life of a small group trying to survive a close encounter of the worst kind. Overnight a massive alien invasion force appears in the skies over LA and begin abducting Los Angelinos by the millions. What's impressive about this movie beyond stellar special effects is that the aliens are actually alien as opposed to typical Hollywood aliens. You see, aliens are seldom very alien in pop culture. Think about it. Vulcans, Klingons, Kryptonians look a lot like us. Ten fingers, ten toes, one mouth. That's awfully unlikely, right? The best alien movies like Alien, The Thing, have the most memorable, truly alien life forms. Skyline's aliens fall into that category. They are relentless, powerful and genocidal. And there is NO explanation of what they are, where they come from and why they are making mincemeat of humanity. This, I think, is where the film takes its biggest risk that I feel paid off but likely alienated some audiences (pun intended).

But consider how ridiculous it would be to have an alien species explain its motivations to you in some contrived monologue or have some scientist decipher their intentions in a matter of hours or days. Or even how we'd have any basis by which to surmise their motivations, language or technology. Consider whether other species even have motivations.

SPOILER ALERT: The film also eschews the Hollywood ending somewhat because there isn't any deus ex machina to save the day. Aliens capable of interstellar travel can almost certainly kick humanity's butt. No contest. There's no McGuffin a la Independence Day that let's us pull a Hail Mary at the end to save the day. The movie ends abruptly and sets itself up for a sequel. END SPOILER.

Aside from the abrubt ending, Skyline gets it right. The aliens are frightening, the story well told and the parts well played. If you like everything explained to you though, then this movie might be a little jarring, but keep in mind truly alien antogonists are unlikely to tell you their motivations or have easily exploitable weaknesses.

FTC Advisory: We purchased our own tickets.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be afraid to look up, November 12, 2010
This review is from: Skyline (DVD)
"Skyline," for me, is a case of expectations getting dashed, but in a good way. When I first saw the trailer for the film I thought, "Oh wow, this looks awesome!" And then I learned that the guys who directed "Alien vs Predator: Requiem" were making it, and then I thought, "F***." I had very low expectations for "Skyline," and when going in, basically hoped that it would be at least tolerable, and not an incoherent mess of dark, murky shots where you couldn't tell what the hell was going on. Imagine my surprise then, when I was surprised to find myself not only enjoying Skyline, but actually liking it.

The best way to describe the plot is: "Cloverfield, but with aliens from outer space." Several attractive, snotty young people party like crazy, only to have their totally awesome lives interrupted when giant vacuum cleaners from space descend onto Los Angeles and start sucking up all the humans in sight, and start hunting down all the others who are in hiding.

"Skyline" has all the elements of your standard B grade Sci-Fi film, including characters who's names you can't remember, giant monsters, lots of explosions and gooey, icky stuff. But what makes it work for me is that for 80% of the film, we're with the main characters, and only know as much as they know. With no phone, no internet, and no television, we're in the dark as much as they are, and the film has an intimacy that works really well. Coupled with the brisk pace, the film moves along nicely from one event to the other and constantly has new things to show us, including the invaders themselves, who, thanks to some excellent visuals, are suitably creepy and menacing (especially when we find out exactly what they're after). But what really stands out about the film is the menacing tone, of tiny humans struggling to survive against an overwhelmingly powerful foe, which leads to an ending that, while feeling half finished, makes me have to give the filmmakers credit for trying something different.

Overall, "Skyline" is a solid B movie. It has thin characters (one of which, the building manager, for some reason, gave me the impression that he desperately wanted to rape the main character the first chance he got), and a thin plot, but it makes up for it with lots of action, a real sense of "being there", and a sense of meance that I really liked. If you go in expecting a sci-fi adventure film that's essentially a blend of "Cloverfield" and "Independence Day", you'll probably like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a shock i really liked it., December 7, 2010
This review is from: Skyline (DVD)
Being a lover of sci fi Alien films, (not the star trek or stargate stuff) i really was psyched about seeing this release. It didn't surprise me that critics hated it and fans loved it that usually how it works with these types of films. Well i tend to steer towards listening to the fans. On Rotten Tomatoes, they gave it a super low 15% which i thought was really harsh, while the fans gave it a 77%, which was more reasonable. Sure the acting is bland and the story thin, as with most Alien films, what do you want them to have, a deep story like Shawshank Redemption? The special effects are top notch and the action is non stop from beginning to end, with some occasional emotion in between. I must add the acting isn't bad, its just they don't have much dialogue. I mean "lets get out of here", "do you wanna stay and die?", "look out" and "holy S$%t what's happening?" are all part of disaster and sci fi films today, when the world is about to end. I love movies like Deep Impact, Twister, War Of The Worlds and even 2012(which did poorly) but lets face it, none of them had the best acting(maybe Deep Impact) or the best story line, but that's what it's suppose to be. Entertainment. Also the music is awesome and really adds to the intensity of the action sequences.

So yes i think people are being very harsh on this film just because it's not some creative overwhelming hard to understand film like Inception, which i disliked anyways. Sometimes people just want good intense action packed eye candy. And thats what you find here. Also one thing that i noticed is something really plausible in this film, yeah imagine that. There is a scene where two of the main characters are stuck on top of the building because they let the door shut behind them, one has a gun. Well when they go to escape he tries shooting off the door handle, or at it so the door will open. Thank GOD, it didnt work the first time or second, and as they try to pry it open someone opens it from the inside. How many movies do you see someone shoot a door handle and BAM they open it or crush in the door!! So at least something in an unlikely film that is realistic. As i mentioned the acting, its cardboardish because of the dialogue, but they do show emotion, get scared, cry, worry and run. They don't just laugh or make jokes and say "wow that was close" or make cheesy one line comic anecdotes like in a movie such as Independence Day. There is nothing funny about the situation and they don't make it that way. So enjoy this film for what it is and quit complaining, its been a long time since a good Alien film has been release, and this one is the best in years. (My opinion, don't be so picky).

Btw-If you liked War Of The Worlds(emotion wise), Independence Day(special effects wise), and parts of the second Aliens(gruesome wise), you'll love this. Also the movie is pretty graphic for PG-13 for you squemish people out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars ...but the special effects were great, May 13, 2011
Seattle Steve (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyline (Amazon Instant Video)
How often have you heard that? Well, in this case it's true. The characters were totally unlikeable -- and not in a funny way. I kept thinking, "If these are the last people on Earth, humanity is doomed." And the story. Well, not unlike Cloverfield, we don't really know what's going on throughout the movie, except that there are some bad guys from outerspace messing up one of our big cities. And, OMG, the ending. Don't even get me started. What a crappy ending...but the special effects were great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh my, this was awful, March 23, 2011
Robert (Hickory, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyline (DVD)
One star probably is rather harsh, but a movie with any kind of budget certainly should have done better than this. The idea of an alien invasion is nothing new, and it has been done far better. In this incarnation, we are given a sad lot of characters who somehow survive the onslaught of invaders by partying all night and sleeping in as to avoid the bright lights that attract humans like bugs to the zapper (literally). They spend the rest of the movie trying to figure out how to get out of the apartment builing in which they are stranded. At the same time, our intrepid invaders, appearing as superintellingent reptilian creatures, can storm across the vastness of space but cannot figure out how to enter a building. Most of our time is spent with nonsensical conversation with caricatures rather than characters while watching what is happening in the city block that surrounds the apartment building. Therein lies a real issue. The world is being overtaken and we're stuck with a few people in an apartment. There is no real drama inside, and the ruckus outside never seems to rise to apocolyptic prportions. It just seems to be a nuisance.

I do give credit to some of the special effects, though War of the Worlds should sue for copyright infringement. I can't halp but think this would have been a more exciting picture had there been more tension or urgency. As it stands, this is arguably the dullest apocalypse on record.

1.0 out of 5 stars War of the Independence Day, May 21, 2011
This review is from: Skyline (DVD)
I knew going in this was going to be a bad movie based on the majority of reviews.
I really wanted to see just HOW bad it really was.
....and.....
When I looked at the disc it said it was only and hour and a half. I thought to myself "piece of cake"...
Sadly that was the most painful hour and a half I can remember in a long time.
War of the Worlds.
Independence Day.
It's a blatant rip off of both movies.
Both of them were leagues better than this.
The only thing new this one brought to the table are strange blue LED lights that hypnotize people and turn them funny colors.
Otherwise...

The good?
The FX were good...that's it.

The bad?
Everything else.
Story, acting, pacing,you name it.
This film suffers from the same thing that plagued "Cloverfield".
Mainly...a cast of 20 something's that wouldn't stop saying the word "dude".
UUGH!!!
I was glad when the monsters ate most of them.
"But duuuuude....."......"GULP"....bye bye. :)
Good riddance.
When your audience hates the cast and roots for the monster you've pretty much made the worst mistake any filmmaker can make.

I honestly had a hard time making it all the way to the end of the movie.
Very few films can bore and annoy me this much but in this regard "Skyline" is a triumph.

Tragic, that is the only area where the film is victorious.

I've also come to have other problems with the whole "aliens invading Earth to harvest us" kind of movies.
If these beings exist...they can travel light years in the blink of an eye.
They're so much more technologically advanced than us and yet...they can't find a way to make food???
And the last time I checked the majority of us were fat (myself included)...why would they even want to eat us in the first place?
When's the last time you ate a steak that was all fat and gristle and you enjoyed it?
Chances are, you didn't.
Poor aliens.
If you want food, I suggest you skip humans and get a Big Mac, a Coke and some fries instead.

(sigh...)
Let's summarize shall we.
Boring.
Derivative.
Generic monsters.
Annoying cast of whiny brats.
Yes, it really was as bad as everyone said.
When the world does end I hope it isn't like this movie or the only thing that will kill me will be the sheer boredom of it all.
Not recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Better than Getting Poked with a Sharp Stick, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Skyline (DVD)
That's being too kind really...

I don't know what it was about Skyline that makes me hate it so much; it had a reasonable cast, great special effects, okay dialogue, and fairly original aliens. Sounds good right? It wasn't... Save your time for something fulfilling... Maybe counting sand or watching paint dry...

I swear, Skyline starts with an interesting beginning, and a couple of minutes in immediately does everything it can to make you hate all the main characters and wish for their deaths. On that count, you will not be disappointed, pretty much everyone dies, but not in some redeeming or cathartic manner.

Bleh...

1.0 out of 5 stars Total piece of crap..., June 8, 2014
Your Role Model (from parts unknown) - See all my reviews
...and that's being nice. :(

This sad excuse for a movie was directed by the Brothers Strause, who also brought you the equally bad Alien vs Predator: Requiem. Basically, they're a pair of guys who specialize in making commercials and doing special effects work for other, better directors. At some point, they apparently got the idea they could make movies themselves. They really can't.

Aside from some decent special effects, this whole thing is at a direct-to-DVD level of quality.... lifeless acting from some second-string TV stars, weak script, no plot development... and literally, NO ending. The film just STOPS in the middle. I'm not kidding.

I guess I could write 1000 words explaining in detail just how lame this trainwreck is, but I think it'd be more effort than the filmmakers actually put into making it. Not worth my time or yours. It's not even bad in a funny way, it's just bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic look at an alien invasion, April 9, 2011
This review is from: Skyline (DVD)
This isn't a "humans are a far superior species" movie, just a two hour look at what regular people would probably do when confronted by an advanced race bent on our destruction. I think that is why so many people gave this low reviews. What do people think would really happen if we were invaded by an alien race that has figured out long distance space travel? Kill them with little slugs of lead? The main characters have no military training, no experience with guns, etc. It kept me, if not on the edge of my seat, at least interested for the entirety of the movie. I was disappointed when it ended, I wanted to see what happened next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not gold, but definitely not bad, April 9, 2011
Andrew M. (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyline (DVD)
I saw this in the theater, and just watched it again. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good movie. What it's not - a movie that explains everything to you on a silver platter or a movie thats going to win awards. What it is - as one other reviewer said, "Independence Day done right." The beauty of the movie is not in what it says, but what it doesn't say. The movie leaves you with more questions than answers which I have to admit, I enjoy a lot more than having every piece of the plot backstory, and future filled out with no room for conjecture.

As I said, it's a good flick - solid acting - more drama than action. If you like movies that make you, "huh?" or "what the ... is going on here" give this a whirl. It will sate you. If you like everything neatly tidied at the end of the flick, ehh, you probably won't enjoy this one too much.

Hope they make a sequel, I would really enjoy watching it.

Skyline [Blu-ray]
Skyline [Blu-ray] by Colin Strause (Blu-ray - 2011)
$39.98 $8.99
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.