4.0 out of 5 stars An improved edition still lacking one feature
Published on April 14, 2011 by David G. Wuchinich

3.0 out of 5 stars This unit works as described - UNTIL UPDATE
Published on May 9, 2011 by Dabuck

4.0 out of 5 stars An improved edition still lacking one feature, April 14, 2011
David G. Wuchinich (Yonkers, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skylink GM-434RTL Long Range Garage Alert Kit; Be notified of your surroundings. (Tools & Home Improvement)
I purchased the predecessor model which required careful positioning to work reliably and was often incapacitated by rainy weather. This model is so far unaffected by obstructions and the weather, but if you want an audible alert that does not persistently toot at you every second when the door is open that option is not available. The audible alert, whose omni-direction is a real asset, can only be switched either on or off. It would be helpful if this alert could be selected to beep once or twice every minute or couple minutes, providing a gentle reminder of an open door without becoming a complete annoyance when a garage door is left open for a purpose such as yard work or car repair.

3.0 out of 5 stars This unit works as described - UNTIL UPDATE, May 9, 2011
Dabuck (NORTH CAROLINA) - See all my reviews
The range on this unit is excellent. The separation between sensor and receiver is about 60 feet going thru a garage FULL of junk and 2 rooms and walls, with NO failure. I agree with others that a intermittent "reminder" beep function would have been IDEAL, but there is a "mute" function that works fine. If you have the beep alert "ON", and you "MUTE" the beep, it stops the sound for this instance only, so you do not have to remember to turn the beep back on. We placed the receiver right in front of the TV in the living room, where it is plainly visable and we keep an eye on it to be sure the green light is on (for closed) and NOT the red one (for open). There is also an alarm/siren function, which we use at night. It is loud enough to be heard in the bedroom. The sensor unit attaches to the bottom of the garage door edge (with double sided tape or screws - included) and uses a "plunger" to tell the sending unit whether the door is open or closed. With the door closed, the floor will push the plunger (which hangs down) up into the sender unit and tells the receiver the door is closed. Be aware the sender uses a nickel sized button battery (I'M GUESSING A CR2032 - actually turned out to be a CR2025), and is easily accessable with the sensor mounted. All-in-all, I am happy with this unit.

UPDATE: 07/20/12 ABOUT A WEEK OR SO AGO, THE UNIT STARTED ACTING VERY FLAKEY. IT WOULD SOMETIMES WORK FOR A WHILE AND THEN NOT WORK AT ALL. I replaced the sender unit's coin battery, and it was still flakey. I moved the sensor to the nearer side of the garage door and it was only slightly better. It had been working for about a year wihout any problems. FINAL SOLUTION - I moved the receiving unit from the living room to the garage itself, placing it on the step railing just outsde the door leading to the garage. NOW the range is only about 20 feet between the door sensor and the main unit with NO intervening walls. NOW IT WORKS. For some reason the range seems to have drastically dropped. I verified the new battery was good with a tester. The battery removed tested only slightly weaker than the new one. Luckily the new location still allows the beeping to be heard thru the closed door if you are in the kitchen.
LOWERED RATING DOWN TO 3 STARS FROM 5.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware!! Not for every garage door!, March 11, 2012
The product broke the first time I tried to use it. The little wheel is very week, so if your garage door opens to the front, then it breaks inmediately. They sould warn customers and have better instructions. They should invest more in customer care. The video on their web is so cheap and poorly done that it gives you a clue of what kind of product your buying. Be very careful, it's not good product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Undependable Product, October 18, 2011
I purchased this product because from time to time my wife and I left the garage door open over night. Because of this, I purchased this product to help make it easier to notice from upstairs (being lazy not wanting to come down at night) if we closed the door or not. I bought the long range kit because I had one exterior wall/door to go through. The units are only about 50 feet apart...according to this kit it's good for 800 feet. So I figured 50 feet and one wall/door would be fine. I was wrong. The two units will sync with one another and within a couple of hours, they are no longer synced and the light flashes showing the door is open when it's not. It's very frustrating! A couple of reviews stated their batteries were bad that came with the unit and once they replaced theirs, everything worked properly. I replaced my battery and that did not help one bit. I still have the same issue of it losing signal. Between work and a 10 month old, getting this returned was not a priority, so now I am unable to return it back to Amazon...my fault, not Amazon's. I'll call Skylink to see if they'll fix it under a warranty. I'll keep you all posted. But, as of right now, I would never recommend this to anyone. If I get it replaced and it get's fixed, I'll update this review to keep you all posted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Range, February 5, 2011
AndyB (St. Paul, MN) - See all my reviews
Works perfectly. My older, now deceased, unit required regular repositioning in order to sense the position of the garage door. This one works anywhere. I also like the green/red (closed/open) lights and the option to have it beep continuously when the door is open. Well worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sensor light indicate open when door was closed, April 26, 2011
I found that becuase I have a lot of Wi-Fi type devices in my home that as soon as I used one near this device the sensor would change from green to red. I returned item and I hope I can find a replacement that works better than this did.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Absolute Best, January 15, 2011
When our garage alert system failed after 12 years of use, we returned to Sears to buy a replacement. Well, after buying and returning three systems for failing to work, I started to search for another brand. I found the Skylink Alert on Amazon and decided to give it a try. The Skylink Alert arrived quickly and worked immediately, with almost no effort on my part. I feel safe in my home again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best garage monitor out there, May 14, 2012
KC Man (Kansas City Missouri) - See all my reviews
I received this today and it was simple to set up. I was afraid of attaching it to the bottom of the garage door, but it went on like it was custom made (I have a newer home). It penetrates two walls at about 100'. I have it set up in my bedroom which is full of electronics, WiFi, etc. no interference. The antenna isn't even extended. I have shut off the beeper because I cannot stand things beeping at me, nice to have this feature. I've had several Chamberlains, only one worked and it had to be attached so near the sensor it was useless. Nice to see a "made in China" product that actually works as advertised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with detached garage, March 2, 2011
This garage alert kit is working well for me. I am using it with a detached garage and the receiver is about 80 to 100 feet from the garage door. The only issue I had with the kit is that my garage door has a lip on the inside of the bottom of the garage door and because of that I could not install the sensor as it came. I mounted the sensor or piece of Styrofoam to get clearance past the lip.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works Sporadically- Not reliable enough, January 8, 2014
I received this for Christmas and almost immediately went out to my garage to install it. The synchronization process is very easy and when the units are in very close proximity (<5 feet) things work very well. I then moved the receiver to my bedroom, which was a distance of roughly 30'ish feet. I showed a good signal initially, but after a couple hours the receiver loses its connection and the red lights on the receiver start to flash.

I then moved the receiver to the closet right above the sender - a distance of 10-15 feet. Unfortunately the behavior continued. Its REALLY cold outside right now, and the garage door looks north. Perhaps the cold is impacting this, but it unfortunately does not meet my needs.