Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Slave to the Empire
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 3, 2012
I pre-ordered this album a little late but received my copy yesterday and hopped in my car, drove up to the local mountain, lit my smoke, and popped in "Slave to the Empire." This album is simply awesome from start to finish. The new tracks they made with Brian Tichy are kick ass, and the covers they do from their Dokken days are just as good. Doug Pinnick sounds great on Tooth and Nail. I listened to this track a few times and just can't help but yell TOOTH AND NAIL along with them...same with Kiss of Death. Ripper Owens' take on this song is very cool. Different than Don's approach vocally but still great. Alone Again with Sebastian Bach is VERY good. I was expecting it to be a little cheesy but no...not at all. His take on this song is just right...perfect. Robert Mason on It's Not Love is good too. I also cannot stress how great Jeff Pilson can sing. I listened to Into the Fire three times in a row because its just that good. He sounds just as good as Don Dokken on the original...right there with him. If you are a fan of Dokken or simply just like hard rock and metal...I highly recommend this album. Everything on it is good. I can't wait for their next release...good work guys!!!

STRAIGHT TO THE TOP... TOOTH AND NAIL!
on November 2, 2012
I've been waiting for this album since I first heard about it. Overall the album is quite good. One issue I have is that some of the songs seem to go on far too long. At 65 minutes, I'm not complaining, but there are a few songs that would benefit in being shorter. Two of the Dokken covers are exceptional, one is very, very good, another is good, and one is what it is (see below). The music is heavier overall than Dokken so if you enjoy their harder stuff you should be down with this. Also, I enjoyed the disc the second time through more than the first, so give it a few tries before you make up your mind on whether or not you like it.

Slave to the Empire: Band is tight on the album's opening track. It is a great way to begin! Big heavy sound!

Sweet Unknown: good song. Solid effort. Not as in your face as...

Tooth & Nail: You know it, and you love it! Breathes fresh life into a song that never gets old! It's amazing how great this version is!

It's Not Love: Another fine job covering a Dokken classic.

Rhythm Of the Soul: It's a good song, but it seems to go on for too long.

When Eagles Die: It's funny, when I saw the length of these songs I was excited. Again, this seems too long. I like the song, just not six minutes of it...

Into the Fire: They did a nice job covering this and Lynch is in top form, but I'd rather hear the original, though there is a nice twist about two thirds in. Worth the listen for sure.

Alone Again: Straightforward cover. Nothing extra special here

Mind Control: Best song on the album! They sound great here (Lynch has a fine solo and puts his stamp all over this song!), and vocal work is spot on.

Kiss of Death: Wow! I always loved this song, but damn, this cover is ridiculous (in a good way!). My words cannot really describe how great this version is. I think what works so well about it is the singer sounds nothing like Don Dokken.

Jesus Train: This one is a bit unexpected in style, but it works! Hard to explain, but worth the listen!

Access Denied: Another very good song to close out a solid "debut".
on October 31, 2012
This just kicks ass. George is in top form here. Believe it or not the remakes of the old Dokken tunes I found to be better than the originals. Jeff Pilson does a fantastic job vocally on this. The guest vocalists put a great spin on the older tunes. I was not to fond of Tim Ripper Owens version of Kiss Of Death, still pretty cool though, but the rest is just mind blowing. Doug Pinnick doing Tooth and Nail is stellar. Robert Mason doing Its Not Love is great as well. Sebastian Bach does Alone Again just right. I thought it would be over the top, but it seems he put the right touch on it. New tunes are rippin. Jeff Pilson handles all the vocals easily. They bring Brian Tiche on the drums on the new tracks. This guy is so busy I dont know how he does it. Again, George is just great. I'm telling you this is such a great effort here. You wont be dissapointed. Cant wait to hear what everyone else thinks.
on November 10, 2012
Since the recent rumblings of a Dokken reunion with the classic line up fell through, we are left with T&N. This CD features 3/4's of the classic Dokken line up: George Lynch, Jeff Pilson, and Mick Brown. The only good Dokken covers are "Into the Fire" (sung by Pilson), with a nice, different take towards the end and "Alone Again" featuring ex-Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach. Robert Mason, who is the new singer in Warrant, does an absolutely awful rendition of "It's Not Love". Doug Pinnick from King's X does a much hyped version of "Tooth & Nail". The original tracks are good, but nothing stands out as of present time. Jeff Pilson proves he has a pretty strong voice, so it's a shame that he wastes his talent in what nowadays is basically a glorified cover band with the formulaic Foreigner. I liked George's guitar solo on "Kiss of Death" the best. Mick Brown seems to be phoning it in. Brian Tichy is also on the record. It was his idea that the band call themselves "Tooth and Nail", which had to be shortened to "T&N" for legal reasons. I don't mind the guys doing the covers of their own songs, but, this band would have been a heck of a lot better and stronger if they just ditched the idea of having special guest stars on the record and just recorded as Lynch, Pilson, and Brown. (and Tichy) I read that this album was supposed to be a double one. Hopefully the next CD will be much, much better. These guys have the talent. It's a shame that this disc, while it does have some great moments, is really average at best. You guys can do much better.
on April 1, 2013
Anytime I can get an album with George Lynch playing guitar, I will. The fact that Jeff Pilson and Mick Brown were in the band also, the only thing missing is Don Dokken himself. We know that will never happen, sadly. The album is a mix of new stuff and some re-makes with guest singers: Doug Pinnick (King's X), Sebstian Bach (Skid Row), Tim "ripper" Owens (Judas Priest, DIO Disciples). This is a terrific CD. Jeff Pilson does the vocals on the original songs, and maybe because I think "Dokken" with these guys, I thought he sounded like Don Dokken in some of these songs. I'm 44, and I guess my wish would be for the original Dokken to reunite, but if they never do, this is as good as it gets. Buy it. Enjoy.
on May 13, 2013
This is a good CD for those who grew up with Dokken and have got that itch to rock out to it again. Even though you may have heard these songs a million times before, the three quarters of the original Dokken serve it up with new vocals (by other well known singers) and some fresh new songs. I am actually really pleased with it and will be looking out for more from the guys of T&N.
on December 6, 2013
The problem with re-recording these songs, essentially a collection of Dokken's greatest hits, is that they created a side-by-side comparison of their new original material with some of the most beloved classics of the genre. It was a bad idea. NOBODY is talking about their new songs. The highpoint of the album is Pilson's rendition of Into the Fire. It's not saying a lot if the best song on your new album is 28 years old, but go with your strength - Pilson is an incredible singer. I personally think he would have done a better job on all of these remakes, but they apparently felt they needed something more, so they brought in a few famous vocalists to sweeten the pot. And while some of these guys could clearly sing circles around Don NOW, covering these songs doesn't compare them to today's Don, it compares them to Don at his peak, so really the best they could hope for is a tie. And in most cases, it's not even a tie. Pinnick's soulful delivery on Tooth and Nail is interesting, but it's not an improvement. Mason really nailed It's Not Love, but so did Don. Sebastian predictably over-sang Alone Again and "Ripper" just butchered my favorite Dokken song (Kiss of Death, indeed). The other problem with this cd is that bringing together seventy-five percent of a group will inevitably end up being about the quarter that is not included. These guys have all tried solo albums or other projects ... George and Jeff in Lynch-Pilson, or Mick and George in Lynch Mob, but here we have George, Jeff and Mick all reuniting to try to re-capture the magic of what they used to have in a band that carried on without them. A band called Dokken ... But now without Dokken. So where does that leave them? The three of them together don't sound as good as the original Dokken and they can't write as well and the only thing different is that they are missing Dokken. So instead of proving that they can carry on without Dokken, they proved that they could be a pretty good Dokken cover band and that perhaps, Dokken was more than just the name of the band. He might have been what made it work.

Scott - RATHOLE.com
on January 28, 2013
If you like Priest, more importantly, if you like Ripper Owens, you're gonna lose your friggin' mind when you hear him screaming on the Kiss of Death cover...holy s***! I really like the guest vocalists! Jeff Pilson sings really well too, but I think the band ought to consider another album with all covers and with guest vocalists! Sebastian Bach was great, and Robert Mason too! this one was worth the wait, a must have for fellow Dokken freaks!!
on November 27, 2012
This is a really good buy. The original songs are a lot like the Lynch/Pilson "Wicked Underground" release that came out in 2003 on Spitfire Records. Having been a Dokken fan for years, I was excited when the rumors started around 2 years ago of a original 4 reunion that Don eventually shot down (freaking egomaniac). The guest vocalists on this T&N release do a good job on the covers and Jeff does good on the 1 he covers. I'd actually like to see a tour of this and would like to see how they would switch out the drums between "Wild" Mick Brown and Brian Tichy on the covers/originals. Not sure who they could get as a "guest vocalist" but Bas (Sebastian Bach) has got my vote; he nails "Alone Again"!
on February 13, 2014
Any metal heads from the 80's this is a must have. The core members of Dokken (without Don) and a few guest vocalist have made one great cd. Jeff Pilson sings a couple of tracks and sounds as good if not better than Don. If you love the Lynch Mob or Dokken you will love this one.

Dano