1,680 Reviews
 (1,289)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Fast Delivery!
Our home got hit with bed bugs (god knows how), and we called
in an exterminator. He told us that after he sprayed the house, we
would need to purchase mattress encasements to prevent them from
coming back out of the mattress, in case any were still in there. It
was either that or we would have to throw away our mattress and buy a
new one, so we...
Published on October 22, 2011 by prashant's pen name

1.0 out of 5 stars Not water resistant let alone waterproof!
Published 11 months ago by Denise Selsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Fast Delivery!, October 22, 2011
This review is from: Sleep Defense System - Waterproof / Bed Bug Proof Mattress Encasement - 60-Inch by 80-Inch, Queen (Misc.)
Our home got hit with bed bugs (god knows how), and we called
in an exterminator. He told us that after he sprayed the house, we
would need to purchase mattress encasements to prevent them from
coming back out of the mattress, in case any were still in there. It
was either that or we would have to throw away our mattress and buy a
new one, so we opted to buy this off Amazon, the one he was offering
was about $70 bucks. Anyway, this encasement was priced well, and they
delivered it super fast. I don't really notice anything different, but
I guess that's a good thing. The material seems pretty soft, and we
put it underneath our memory foam mattress pad, so it really hasn't
affected our sleep at all. Haven't washed it or anything, but the
exterminator told us we would need to keep it on the mattress
undisturbed for at least 6 months (better to do a year) to kill any
remaining bed bugs inside the mattress. Definitely one of the cheaper
options on Amazon, and the quality seems to be pretty great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adjunct to prescription asthma/allergy medicines, October 25, 2011
I am a pharmacist, and have been prescribing medicines for
asthma and allergic symptoms for many years. I am an asthma sufferer
myself (since childhood), and the advent of these allergy/bed bug
covers have significantly helped the patient populations that have
dust mites as their trigger. I have been using similar type covers for
about 5 years now, and they have dramatically reduced the need to use
my rescue inhaler and I have been able to reduce the dose of my
prescription inhaled medicine.

I always recommend to my patients that they also address address
lifestyle/environmental factors in managing their asthma and allergy
symptoms. In many cases, they may eliminate the need for or reduce the
dosage of prescription meds they must take to manage their
asthma/alllergy symptoms. I just moved back to Chicago, and bought a
new mattress, and I immediately purchased a mattress cover. I have
been using the cover for over a week now, and am extremely happy with
the results. The cover I had used before worked well at helping my
asthma symptoms, but it was very rough fabric that was noisy to sleep
on, and was very hot to sleep on. The material was more vinyl like,
and basically trapped heat the way a leather couch does in the summer.
These newer covers have a much nicer material that is breathable and
does not make the "crinkling" sound as you move around in bed.

An interesting feature about this cover is the extra piece of fabric
that covers the zipper from the inside. My older cover did not have
this, which means that any dust mite allergens were free to pass out
of the cover through the zipper. I'm not sure if this has made a
difference, but it certainly makes sense.

The product is very sturdily constructed, and the seams are double
reinforced. I can't speak to the bed bug function, but those of us in
health care have for years known the benefit of these covers to those
suffering from asthma and allergies. I received my cover two days
after I placed the order with standard shipping

5.0 out of 5 stars great mattress cover, March 29, 2012
Unfortunately we got bed bugs. Living paycheck to paycheck i was unable to at first buy a mattress cover. We threw away our box spring and used heavy plastic and duct tape on our mattress. It worked at keeping the bugs in/out, but we quickly realized that it was horrible to sleep on. We would wake up sweaty from the heat the plastic was causing. not only that, but every movement made loud crinkle noises. After looking at many different brands of bed bug mattress covers online and in stores, i found the Sleep Defense System. It was not as expensive as some but because i saw it was designed by a physician and a hotel owner and it said that it was lab tested i felt it would be good quality. i read the other reviews from customers and decided this was the cover i would purchase. I only bought it to get rid of bed bugs but it is also waterproof which was a bonus. It was extremely easy to put on the mattress with 2 people. It also did not feel at all like plastic. after sleeping on it a few times i felt like i got my bed back. we weren't waking up sweaty and no horrible crinkle sounds. it felt like my mattress used to feel before the bed bug problem. As far as i am concerned it does prevent the bugs from getting in/out. now i am sleeping so much better and am much more comfortable. I recommend to anyone with bed bugs to get this cover it works. Too bad they don't make couch covers. LOL. now with persistant cleaning of the carpet and steaming the furniture we haven't seen any bed bugs and only have been bitten a few times in the last month. This mattress cover makes a huge difference!!! very happy with this product and when i do get another box spring i will have the Sleep Defense System boxspring encasement waiting to be put on it. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE GREAT MATTRESS COVER!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not water resistant let alone waterproof!, February 13, 2014
Purchased this product to cover my brand new, very expensive pillow top mattress. Well, just one small persons peepee and the mattress was ruined and my warranty on it voided. Not only did the Sleep Defense System Waterproof not bounce the pee off it it did not even puddle it. It absorbed the urine while we were taking off the covers to get to the pad. To get this product off, you have to remove the mattress and unzip the encasement,. Not possible to do this in 1 minute. When I contacted the manufacturer I was sent an e-mail telling me they do not say it is waterproof. Excuse me, the cover right there in big black letters states WATERPROOF. I returned a reply via email and it was never answered. SO, I have a wet pillow top that took over 10 days to dry and a voided warranty on a new bed, and two Hospitology products that are not as advertised. I would not recommend this product at all. Total waste of money if you are using it for waterproofing. Have no idea about the other defenses the product says it defends against. It sure did not defend from wetness!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!! Not Waterproof either!!, November 11, 2014
THIS IS A TERRIBLE PRODUCT!! IT does not work at all!!! If you are buying this to kill bed bugs in the bed and keep them from coming out DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! The Bed bugs crawl right out of the seal that's supposed to keep them inside. I only had a minor infestation. Paid to have my rooms treated by a professional bought these as to not buy new mattresses. However due to the bedbugs crawling right out of the seal on these, now I need to mattresses and have to have my bedrooms retreated AGAIN!! I do not recommend this to no one unless you are using it for a mattress protector only. You can buy a mattress protector much cheaper than this and it will work just as good. NOT WORTH THE PRICE AT ALL!!!! I would have given this a ZERO if I could have. Also these do not fit well. ALOT OF EXTRA SPACE and they hang.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT! IT WORKS, June 27, 2012
Package arrived in excellent packaging and the encasement was clean and new. I was about to throw out a $750 King size pillowtop mattress. I googled and found this product on Amazon. Thank goodness! It works!! And easy to put on. The Packaging suggests 2 people to put it on, however I did it in 10 minutes by myself. I do want to mention to wait about 2 or 3 days after putting the bed encasement on before sleeping in the bed again. I say that because the night I put it on seems I still noticed bed bugs in the bed. Could've been just a mind thing though...Because those bed bugs just about drove me crazy. But I'm so glad it worked. Now I can sleep in peace :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely delivers -- allergy symptoms disappeared!, October 26, 2011
I have been nothing but impressed with this mattress cover. I ordered mine for allergy reasons after hearing that dust mites and other allergens in my mattress were likely contributors to my consistent nasal congestion. I tend to wake up stuffy every morning and was convinced it had something to do with diet ... until I received my mattress cover! I've noticed a dramatic reduction in my symptoms since the cover arrived, and now I'm wishing I had found it sooner. It keeps dust mites and bedbugs in without trapping heat, and it's so supple that I can't feel it when it's on the bed.

I should also mention that I'm the type of consumer who likes to put his products through their paces a bit -- dumping water on a new Gore-Tex jacket, for example, or running speed tests on my computers. So of course I had to see if Hospitology's claim that their cover was "waterproof" was accurate! I was pleasantly surprised as I watched the water droplets I plopped onto the bed bead up and roll right off. I've never conducted the "jump on the bed with a glass of red wine resting on it" experiment, but if I did I'm confident that this cover would keep my mattress dry and safe from stains.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this product. It shipped promptly after I ordered it and it delivers everything it promises -- and is comfortable to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Mattress Encasement, September 18, 2013
1LuckyGurl (Virginia Beach VA) - See all my reviews
I was really skeptical of ordering this mattress encasement due to the low price but the reviews were very good and plentiful so I ordered it and so happy I did. I was looking for a mattress encasement to encase our thick mattress plus a 4" foam topper as well. After ordering and saw that they stood the mattress on end I wasn't sure how easy it would be to put it on with the mattress flat on the box spring as it's quite heavy. With my husband on one side and me on the other we pulled it down little by little to the bottom and it went on much easier than expected. It's well made and does not keep in body heat. I have washed it without a problem but due to the water repellent it takes quite a while to dry. It does stretch quite a bit as my mattress with topper is 14' thick and went on with room to spare even though on the front labeling it states to 12". In the description on Amazon is states 10- 18" and it probably would although it may be a tight fit. I believe I could have put an additional 2" in height in the encasement without a problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works for what I need it to do... but... Let's define WATERPROOF..., October 22, 2013
wa·ter·proof (wôtr-prf, wtr-)
1. Impervious to or unaffected by water.
2. Made of or coated or treated with rubber, plastic, or a sealing agent to prevent penetration by water.

I just bought a brand new bed and thought that it would be a great idea to put it in some type of protective covering. I found this one and loved that it was Waterproof.... WATERPROOF.

I received the encasement, and proceeded to put it on the mattress.

Problem 1: After handling the product, something told me that it was not waterproof. Sure enough, one cup of water later, my suspicions were confirmed. The water did stand for 2 seconds, but then immediately soaked in. Well I don't plan on wetting the bed (any more than my recent experiment has), so I'm okay with it just serving as a Bedbug and Allergy barrier.

Problem 2: While the encasement is not Waterproof, it does have an issue with letting air out. No matter how many times I take the time to get the air bubble out from the foot of the bed, shortly there after the sheets are floating on another air bubble.

Overall, I give it this product **3 STARS (This definitely doesn't qualify as a gadget though :). I'm sure it's doing something... but not everything that was advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 29, 2012
We purchased this mattress protector after our last one we bought from Walmart tore after about a month. We choose this Mattress Protector because it had great reviews and the price seemed very reasonable. So far we are very satisfied with the product. Me and my husband were able to slide the protector on with no problems and it only took a few minutes. I love how it doesn't make noise when you lay down or roll on the bed like our other one did. The material is what I love best it's soft yet thick and durable. I see this one lasting years with no problem. Very pleased with the product. I would recommend it to anyone. You won't find a better mattress protector for this price