5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent contour memory foam pillow at a great price
UPDATE 2013:

Published on July 4, 2010 by R. Ocampo

2.0 out of 5 stars Lower price = different pillow
Published on August 20, 2011 by Pillow Reviewr

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent contour memory foam pillow at a great price, July 4, 2010
This review is from: Sleep Innovations Contour Memory Foam Pillow, Standard Size (Kitchen)
UPDATE 2013:

So after 3 years I had to toss away my beloved pillow. My toddler sleeps on it so I has to equip it with a breathable pillow cover than a spill proof one. He eventually threw up on it when he was sick and it went through the three pillow covers (the outer pillow cover, the inner breathable cover, and the pillow liner supplied by the manufacturer. That's one of the cons of having a foam pillow as it isn't washable. I had to toss and switch to a regular washable pillow for now. When he gets older, we can switch back to memory foam pillows.

So if you do buy a foam pillow of any kind, make sure to purchase a spill proof inner cover. If you do have a baby, don't use those kinds of specialty covers as it may restrict breathing.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

There are too many shady memory foam products in the market that you just have to question the quality. Well, with Sleep Innovations penetrating the scene, I'm glad there is a true competitor that will give Tempur Pedic a run for it's money.

I've purchased a Tempur Pedic pillow and it does speak of quality in terms of material and manufacturing. The memory foam at that time was very dense and therefore heavy than any pillow you've seen. This was thought to equate to quality.

Fast forward to 2010 and people realised the dense foam didn't promote air flow and equated to a very warm product. So the trend this time is an "open cell" memory foam that had the ability to let air flow within the foam and create a cooler sleeping environment.

I like the feel of this Sleep Innovations Contour Pillow. It's not as dense or heavy as the Tempur Pedic variety which is now old school, and it definitely does the job of promoting good sleeping posture all at a fraction of the cost.

Unpacking:

The pillow is wrapped in a plastic bag which when you open will release an odour that some people may find too "chemical" smelling. Just leave it to aerate for 24 hours if it bothers you. I didn't mind the smell and was able to use it from day 1 of purchasing it.

Features:

1. I like the concept of having two raised edges with different heights to suite different sleeping styles. Use any side that closely matches the height to softly cradle your neck.

I find it perfect to use the higher raised edge when sleeping on my side (due to the distance of your shoulder to your neck). Then if I feel like sleeping on my back I just turn it around to use the lower raised side. Of course, all this is a matter of body structure so your mileage will definitely vary.

2. The manufacturer claims that their memory foam is naturally hypo-allergenic and resistant to dust mites. Time will tell from fellow reviewers if this claim holds true.

3. Open Cell technology rather than the old school dense memory foam. This makes for a lighter and cooler sleeping product.

4. What's great is the fact that this is made in the USA which is rare these days. I appreciate this because I know there is accountability in the manufacturing process where the use of unapproved materials or manufacturing process has frequently come into question.

Conclusion:

If you've never tried a contour pillow before, price and quality for this pillow will give you more than enough reasons to make the switch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for over 5 years, still firm!, July 8, 2010
I bought this pillow at Costco roughly 5 years ago and even till now I'm still using it. It's my favorite pillow of all time! The main reason I like the Sleep Innovations contour brand is because it is still firm after all these years, keeping its memory shape. The pillow cover is pretty soft and good quality fabric too. Only thing is one of the zippers broke after about a year of washing.

Update (11/23/2010):
I bought another one @ Costco roughly 3 weeks ago and decided to see if it's the same quality as the one I used for 1/2 a decade. One thing I noticed right away was the pillow fabric that came w/ this pillow; it's very bad..I think it's like 150-200 thread count...very rough. Well this is fixable; I bought some nice 400-thread pillow covers to go over this and it works great.

The firmness is still great! The size is the same as well. It does have a slight smell (nothing too strong) to the pillow, but it goes away after a couple of days.

Something to add to this is if you've never had a contour pillow before, you may need a little time to get use to it. It's not that it's uncomfortable, but it's the shape of the pillow. Ideal when sleeping on your side because of the firmness (and the shape), your shoulders and neck doesn't feel like it's getting pressure from your head.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lower price = different pillow, August 20, 2011
I bought one of these memory foam pillows on 8/11/11 to try out. It was nice and comfortable so I decided to buy two more on 8/18/11. During this time there was a price reduction of about $10.00. The two pillows I received on the later order felt as though the foam wasn't as sturdy and didn't support as well. When I squeezed the pillows they deformed more and went back to their original shape faster than the pillow I bought earlier. I then weighed the first pillow (2 and 3/16 pounds) against the new pillow (1 and 13/16 pounds). The new pillow's foam is 17.15% less dense than the original pillow I received.

DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE PREVIOUS POSTERS COMMENTS. THEY WERE FOR THE OLD DENSER PILLOW WHICH IS VERY COMFORTABLE.

UPDATE 5/27/13. Not even two years later and the two lighter weight pillows have no support anymore and need to be replaced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Memory Foam Pillow, January 19, 2010
We have tried a number of memory foam pillows over the years. Comfort Impressions Memory Foam Contour Pillow w/Velour Cover is one of the best out there. It has just the right density - not too mushy or too firm.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not memory foam as advertised, May 16, 2012
I was looking forward to using this pillow but I was extremely disappointed that it was not memory foam as advertised. I have back and shoulder pains, and I'm also a side and back sleeper. I've found that a contour memory foam is the only pillow that helps me get a good night's rest. But not this one for the following reasons:

1. The pillow is more like pure foam -- when you press down on it, the cushion bounces right back. No memory at all.
2. The weight of the pillow was also really light. I have an inexpensive regular foam crib matress that my son occasionally uses and it was the same weight as the pillow. The crib matress is definitely not memory foam.
3. When i took the cover off, it even looked and felt like regular foam.

I bought a memory foam pillow from Costco a couple of years ago and the quality of the Costco pillow was noticeably better - it was heavier, conformed to the weight of one's head and neck really well, and real memory foam. At first, I was leaning towards just sticking with what I already like, but given all the positive review that this pillow received, I decided it was worth a trial. I know 200+ customers ratied this pillow 5 stars, so the only explanation I can think of is the company compromised on the quality and used inferior materials. I plan to return this pillow, and next time, I will shop for the right pillow in person - one that I can touch and inspect the quality before purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars meets all expectations, August 3, 2010
While I don't normally write reviews, I was motivated to write one for this pillow because it deserves more positive feedback.

First, allow me to make a disclaimer: this pillow does not sink to fit the contours of your fingers when you press it with your palm, like the Temperpedic pillows do, but it does bounce back to its usual shape within seconds after you release the pressure.

With that said, the pillow has surpassed my expectations by far. After using a less-dense memory foam pillow that did not adequately support my neck, I was thrilled to find that this 3-pound dense pillow supported my neck at the optimal position and eliminated my occasional neck pain over night!!! Be careful which side of the pillow you use: the taller side is too high for my neck, so I use the lower side.

I really don't think I could have purchased a better pillow for this price, and I really love my investment!! I recommend this pillow without hesitations!!

2.0 out of 5 stars A BIT TOO HARD FOR MEMORY FOAM CLAIM, January 14, 2011
I was expecting "memory foam" to mean that when I laid my head on the pillow it would conform to the shape of my head and neck and stay that way as long as I stayed in the same position. That was not the case at all. In fact I found the pillow to be kind of hard. I am a medium sized woman and found the pillow made for a larger head because my head did not even reach the indented part of the pillow and instead sat on the first bump of it. I actually turned it upside down where there are no indentations at all and I can use it that way just fine but that was not the purpose for which I bought a memory foam pillow in the first place. It is my first memory foam pillow ever and I thought that it was worth a try for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Chemical Smell, June 4, 2011
I purchased this pillow and could not get past the terrible chemical smell! I decided to wash the covers and air out the pillows for 2 days...still did not work! That smell cannot be heathy, especially when you are breathing it in all night. Very disappointed, I am going to try and return this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hate it., May 8, 2013
This pillow is too thick. I thought this was the same product that we bought years ago; however, this new "sleep innovations" pillow is approximately 5" thick at the thinnest spot of the contour and it is NOT as soft as those they made years ago.

We have two of the Sleep Innovation pillows from about 10 years ago that are perfect. This one was supposed to be for my daughter but she hates it. I tried it and I could not sleep that night because it was too thick. I have become very picky about pillows and ALWAYS travel to hotels and to relatives with my own pillow (if I want to sleep good).

Make sure you realize how thick this pillow is. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my new pillow!, August 9, 2010
I absolutely love my new pillow. My neck is so much more supported and comfortable now. The material is not too hard, nor so soft that my head sinks down to the mattress. The pillow comes with a thinnish cover, which is okay. I prefer the older quilted style cover, which you can no longer get, but at least it comes with a cover. The pillow was not squashed when I received it as it stated in the description. It was fully useable immediately. It also did not stink (off-gassing) as some of the pillows do. I am very pleased and would highly recommend it.

ARRAY(0x94825e64)