5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective
Published on June 21, 2012 by S. Rowe

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful concept, but book needs revision.
I purchased the Sleep Buddy directly from their website at 4AM a month ago after another sleepless night. Our 3-year-old daughter had been waking up at all hours of the night, refusing to go back to sleep, and would not stay in her bed. We were at wits end and were willing to try anything.

The Sleep Buddy arrived wrapped and my daughter and I opened it. We...
Published on December 19, 2012 by mikeym000

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful concept, but book needs revision., December 19, 2012
mikeym000 (Philadelphia Area, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleep Buddy ~ Sleep Training System for Toddlers & Pre-schoolers (Baby Product)

The Sleep Buddy arrived wrapped and my daughter and I opened it. We read the book, went over the Reward Chart, promised Chuck-e-Cheese as an incentive, etc. I plugged it in, set it up, and we gave it a try. For the first few nights, it took a lot of reinforcement and we wondered if we simply purchased a $45 night light on a timer . . . but eventually it worked! She stayed in her bed and slept the night! We could always point to that blue shining dome and reinforce that she should stay in her bed. We could refer to the boy from the book and how he stayed in his bed.

It wasn't until last week that she wet the bed. We had her potty trained since she was 2 and a half and she has access to a toilet at night. She had been using the toilet at night without a problem up until last week. When I asked her why she didn't get up and go, she pointed to the Sleep Buddy and said, "The Sleep Buddy was on!" And she was right. The storybook that comes with the Sleep Buddy depicts an older boy receiving the Sleep Buddy from his mother and staying in his bed when the light is blue. There is no page that says it's OK to get up and use the potty if you have to go. It needs to be added, especially since this is marketed for kids up to 6 years of age.

Overall, I am happy with the Sleep Buddy. I would have paid anything to get my daughter to sleep through the night, so the $45 shipped cost, while high, was worth it to me. I've also added pages to the book myself that says it's OK to use the potty at night. A girl version of the story would make it that much better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, June 21, 2012
S. Rowe (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
Purchased this for my boys room (3 and 2 years old) so that they would know when it was time to get up in the morning. The price was a bit high but we decided to go for it after reading some reviews on other websites. The product is very well made, has a quality feel and is easy to use (although a battery backup would be nice) - it has taken several 3-year-old prompted flights across the room without damage. We have been using it for about 6 months now and overall I have been very pleased. We don't really use it for the going-to-bed time (because we aren't that consistent about bedtime), however we do use and enforce it in the mornings. The light instantly solved the issue of my 3 year old coming into my room every 5 minutes in the morning and asking if it was "time to wake up yet" (worth the money for this alone). It did take some time and consistent enforcement to get him to stay in bed until the light was out, and he still needs a reminder every once and awhile. He now knows that he can turn his light on and read in his bed until the sleep buddy goes out. My now 2 year-old (26 months) is just starting to understand the light and that he needs to stay in bed until it goes out; when be bought it we was only about 20 months old and the light was not effective at all (some other parents may be better at this than I). We appreciate the sleep buddy enough that we now take it on vacation with us (along with a noise maker - which I would love to see incorporated into the sleep buddy). Overall I would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't live or SLEEP without it!, March 24, 2012
We absolutely cannot live (or sleep) without the Sleepbuddy! I'm not sure how or why it works so well, but it is truly AMAZING! It's an instant cue for my kids to get in bed, stay in bed, and go to sleep! I'm writing this review because we used the SleepBuddy for a long time and it worked great. It wasn't until we put it away for a couple weeks (thinking they didn't need it anymore) that we realized that the SleepBuddy truly was the key and tool to having great sleepers! Literally, the morning after we put our SleepBuddy away the kids were in our room at 6:30am on the dot. This was not a typical routine with the SleepBuddy set. We would have nice, long, quiet mornings without a peep in the house! For a week or two we didn't even make the connection that the early waking was directly related to the SleepBuddy being put away. Then it dawned on me that it was probably the absent SleepBuddy. That very night we got the SleepBuddy back out, we set it up before bed, read the book, and all three kids were quiet in their rooms until 8am! I promise I'm not exaggerating! Two week without the SleepBuddy and they were up at the crack of dawn. The first night back and we got a couple more hours of sleep:) That was definitely a happy realization in our house. Yet another perfect example of how awesome the SleepBuddy System is and proof that it actually works! We will no longer sleep without the SleepBuddy. I'm convinced my kids can use it until they go to college and I wouldn't even care! Like I said, an AMAZING product. I recommend it to everyone I know. Thank you SleepBuddy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped our bed-sharing toddler sleep independantly, October 22, 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
We bedshared with our daughter until she was about 18 months old, until I was too pregnant and we all just needed some extra space. She was developmentally ready but needed some extra help. We got her the SleepBuddy and she very quickly understood the concept. Read my full review (and you can enter to win one) here: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Worth It, June 10, 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have to start by saying that I've never reviewed a product before, but this worked so well I wanted to let other parents know. My daughter is just shy of 2.5 years old. She started getting up really early and then, once we moved to the toddler bed, she started getting up even earlier. Even 5 am. I purchased this even though I feel it is a bit expensive. I got my daughter very excited for the present arriving in the mail for her. After unwrapping it we read the book and even did a trial run so she could see how it worked. However, I wasn't sure she actually understood the concept. I set the clock for the next morning for 6:30 because I didn't want to push my luck. I fully expected to have to put her back to bed a few times until she learned the concept. The next morning at exactly 6:30 in the morning she came running down the hall squealing with excitement saying "My buddy light turned off!" I couldn't believe it worked that fast. She has used it a few times now and asks for it every time she goes to sleep. This light is truly worth it. It is also well made and sturdy. Programming it is simple and you can un-plug and plug it back in without loosing the settings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome but..., September 21, 2012
My son was waking up EVERY morning before 5 and coming in to wake us up. He was really good about going back to bed but then my husband and I were lying there awake for the rest of the morning and when he started to wake his brother up too we decided to do something about it. From the first night we had our sleep buddy he stopped. He is great about staying in his room now. We never even had to do the reward system. My son is 3 years old and understood everything quickly and the only trouble he has is when he gets up to go potty and forgets its not time to be up yet. My one HUGE complaint it the setup. It is SO annoying to reprogram. Everytime you unplug it you have to reprogram it. Not a big deal but annoying. And the TINY buttons don't always work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleep Buddy... A Grandparent's Friend, June 25, 2012
We spent a week babysitting our grandchildren ages 6, 4 and 22 months. Their 87 yr. old great grandmother came to help. My two older granddaughters share a bedroom with sleep buddy. The first morning they woke up at 7:00 a.m. They were used to waking up and then romping in their room for about an hour until the sleep buddy light went off. I had alot of anxiety about them waking their baby brother in the room next to them. Great grandmother was sleeping in the room under theirs downstairs and we were sleeping across the hall from them. When their tiny feet touched the ground the whole household was awake. I got them set up the night before to pick books to look at and to stay in their beds until the sleep buddy light went off at 8:00 a.m. When Mum mum went in to greet them they were so excited about getting their sticker reward to put on their chart. It was wonderful! Mum mum and Pop Pop got to sleep an extra hour and we had no anxiety during the night worrying about the toddlers waking up the household. We could count on a good night's sleep so we were refreshed and energetic in the morning ready to face our day and enjoy our grandchildren! Sleep buddy became the babysitters' and grandparents best friend! I would recommend it to everybody who cherishes a good night's sleep. Either you train your children or they train you! Thank you so much sleep buddy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love., November 15, 2014
Sleep buddy is training its second child in this house and I can't say enough good things. We hope it lasts thru til number three and with no doubts it will. Dont know how we did without it for our first as long as we did. I'm sad to see they aren't making it currently and I hope that's being fixed as I could use another one and want to gift it as well. I think it's a perfect gift for any child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been suing it for 2 years now and it's become a night time staple., April 21, 2014
Started using this when my son was 2 ~ he's 4 now and it's still a night time companion. Very helpful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Over priced for what it is., March 12, 2014
Basically this is a nightlight on a timer. We already own a plug in night light and light timers--I should have just used those rather than spending the money on this. Even if you don't own these items, you can buy them both on Amazon and still save money vs. the price of this.
The blue light is very dim and is barely noticeable when there is any daylight in the room (even with the blinds closed)--at night it works fine. The chart and story are not high quality and had no impact on our son anyway--he continued to come out of his room for two weeks after we began using this. The "reward" of a sticker on the chart was less important to him than continuing to do what he wanted to do--leave the room.
After two weeks of trying this light with several nightly interruptions of our son coming out of his room, we decided to put a baby gate in front of his door. This was a much more effective solution to his sleeping problems. We did, however, continue to use the light in conjunction with the gate. 2 months into this project and he will now usually stay in his room until the light goes off in the morning.
So, this might work for you, but you can achieve the same result for less money by purchasing a plug in night light and a timer.