5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeping Beauties: Sleeping Beauty and Snow White Tales From Around the World, November 29, 2010
I wish Ms. Heiner had been writing when I was in graduate school! Her works are essential references for the student or scholar of literature who likes a theme / motif / archetype approach to literature. Put them on the shelf next to the Homer, Shakespeare, the Bible, and your Joseph Campbell books. Yes, literature is self-referencing - but it also references the collective oral tradition of stories and fairy tales that continually re-incarnate themselves under the pens of new writers.

Ms. Heiner's book is approachable for the average reader (even teens), and enjoyable for anyone who loves fairy tales. If you like this one, check out her volumes on Rapunzel, the frog prince, and more.

Sleeping Beauties examines the slumbering heroine tradition across countries, cultures, and time periods. You'll find many tales associated with the literary tradition or culture you are interested in retold in this thorough anthology, all appropriately documented. There is also a reading list of additional fairy tales, identified by the cultures from which they spring, and a bibliography to help you locate written versions of the tales that didn't make it into this volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful, January 8, 2013
I am working on retelling the Snow White fairy tale, but to do that, I want to know as much about the original as possible. Needless to say, I've been spending a lot of time on Heidi Anne Heiner's website. She has compiled dozens of cultural versions of both the Snow White and Sleeping Beauty stories into this anthology, and I cannot begin to say how interesting and helpful it has been in my research. I even wrote a paper on one of the stories found in it for a Humanities class. I always refer back to it. I highly recommend this book and any of Heidi's other anthologies!