5.0 out of 5 stars I had a hard time putting this down...
Published on January 31, 2012 by LadyoftheIvy

1.0 out of 5 stars This Started Out So Well
I got this book from the Kindle Lending Library. When it started out, I thought it was hysterical. However, halfway though the book there was suddenly a very confusing court case and quite a bit of distracting peripheral action. I thought it took away from the book. Good start, dumb finish.
Published on February 25, 2012 by Patricia Bell Erickson

1.0 out of 5 stars This Started Out So Well, February 25, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars I had a hard time putting this down..., January 31, 2012
LadyoftheIvy (Central Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (A Contemporary Romance) (Kindle Edition)
I will admit that I was very much in the mood for a book with a happy ending when I purchased this one, but chick lit is also a genre I enjoy much of the time these days anyway. I had read the author's previous book (The Frog Prince (A Romantic Comedy)) and enjoyed it, so I decided to go ahead and take a chance on this one. I definitely wasn't disappointed. The characters are well done and enjoyable, and the plot is definitely different than anything else I've read and holds your attention quite well. It has humor, some sadness, and of course the happiness I was looking for.

The main character, Claire, has an absolutely fascinating medical condition (in the sense that you'd never expect something like this to be real) which basically causes her to black out and sleep on and off for long periods of time, with no recollection of what happened during her episode. The story is told from her point of view. In addition to her, you'll meet her brother (West), her brother's boyfriend (Davin), the doctor she sees to try and deal with her condition (Dr. Brendan Charmant). And yes, someone at some point in the book does acknowledge the joke in Dr. Charmant's name. Basically, we get to see Claire in action, before an episode of her condition, and what happens after that episode. As Claire learns what happened during her episode, we do too.

There's both happy and sad features to the story, but none of the sad parts get too dark for anyone worried about that. And I never got the feeling of being led along an already done path as I have with some other chick lit books, which is part of what made this one hard to put down. The story has enough originality and twists to it that it doesn't feel like just another formula chick lit book. It's also quite well written with almost no spelling/grammar errors, which is a plus - there's not much to detract from the good writing or great story.

Ultimately, since I don't really want to give much away about this book, I have to say that I'd definitely recommend it. It's nice to see something that seems very different in the chick lit genre, and this one is very well done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not like characters., February 20, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (A Contemporary Romance) (Kindle Edition)
There's spoilers in here.

Okay, my title of this review is a little bit of a lie. I LOVED Davin. I hated Brendan. As a doctor, as someone that researched all of her symptoms and the disease that she had, you would think that he would have known that she wouldn't remember what was going on. I hated him. I wanted him out of the story. I disliked him from the moment that he rudely asked her if she needed to be wearing a helmet. What kind of doctor says something like that? A BRAIN surgeon no less. Everything about him grated on my nerves.

I really disliked how everyone was always covering things up from Claire. Her brother refuses to tell her what day it is? Childish, and could be dangerous. She's left alone for huge chunks of time when they know (in the previous episodes) she can't take care of herself adequately.

Oh the entire book just irked me. I have it 3 stars only because *SPOILERS* Davin didn't die, and I kept expecting him to. And because I cried when she was watching the video Davin made for her of CB.

I had to force myself to finish it. And even then...I only did because I was hoping she would end up with Davin.

Also...it's not funny. I apparently missed everything in this book that would make it a comedy...

2.0 out of 5 stars Ugh, November 23, 2011
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (A Contemporary Romance) (Kindle Edition)
Why on earth does this book have such a high rating? It was bad. Granted, it was written well (with the exception of some over describing), but I didn't like it. It started out good, then half way through the book it began to drag on and on and on and on. I honestly started skimming through chapters because it lost my interest and I just wanted to finish it.

All and all, it was a painful read. The pros seriously out weighed the cons. There were SOME pros, so I gave it two stars instead of one. Don't waste your time and money on this book. In retrospect, I wouldnt even get this book if it were free.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, especially after reading "The Frog Prince", July 8, 2012
Laura Centracchio (Lansing, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (A Contemporary Romance) (Kindle Edition)
Don't assume that you'll like this book if you liked The Frog Prince. You'd never know the same author wrote both. Sleeping Beauty was anything but funny. I think its supposed to be a, 'romantic comedy.' Its quite dark and not remotely funny. I'm easily amused too. Anyway, the dialogue between characters is cheesy and made reading the book difficult. The endless "surfer dude" dialect is incredibly annoying as well. If you're looking for either funny, or romantic, keep looking and steer clear of Sleeping Beauty. I'm glad I'm done with it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Started Well, Ended Badly, August 4, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (A Contemporary Romance) (Kindle Edition)
Before getting into my review I would like to point out that Sleeping Beauty is the first/original version of Lothlorien's Sleeping Beauty Wakes Up. According to reviews and the author herself, this book was changed in Sleeping Beauty Wakes Up from chapter 11 on after several negative reviews and feedback. As this, the original book, has not been unpublished or the price reduced (at the time of review) I can only assume that means the author still believes this book is as good as her second version, therefore I will be reviewing it as is without taking into consideration any changes made in her other book. So keep this in mind when deciding which version to purchase.

Claire suffers from KLS, otherwise known as Sleeping Beauty Syndrome. She falls asleep in random places and can sometimes stay asleep for days. Dr. Charmant is assigned to her case and after their loathing and first sight the two start to fall in love. But when sleeping beauty can't remember what happens during her black out episodes how does she know prince charming is the gentleman he claims to be? It all leads to a story of allegations, a court case, a love triangle, and a sleeping beauty who'll need a lot more than a kiss to get her out of this mess.

Lothlorien's writing style is enjoyable and she shows some great promise as a writer through her descriptions of Claire's surfer world California and the research done about KLS. Unfortunately all the characters, with the exception of Davin, come across as flat. I wasn't able to sympathize with Claire as a heroine and while she spends most of the book complaining people hide information from her she never really takes control of her own life. While we're told Dr. Charmant is handsome and charming he never does anything remarkable that causes the reader to fall for him, making the end of the book a let down because there's no real side to root for.

The first half of the book is much stronger than the second, and based on that half of the book I would have probably given this book a higher rating, unfortunately everything starts to fall apart once the trial hits. The surfer-lingo goes from unique and charming to plain obnoxious and the court case itself is filled with a lot of unnecessary dialogue and no tension. Lothlorien does a lot of telling but not showing in this half of the book. We're told who to like and who to hate, but there's never any real interaction that helps the reader form their own opinions. Then the ending is stretched out much longer than necessary, and the final chapter feels like it's been ripped right out of "50 First Dates." Throughout the book the emphasis has been on Claire's KLS and its symptoms, with memory loss being just a small part of that, then the memory loss is pushed to the forefront as though it's Claire's main issue as though Lothlorien couldn't decide where she wanted the story to go and when she figured it out didn't want to make it a strong theme in the beginning.

The premise of this story is fantastic and the first half of the book was well written (not perfect, but enjoyable). However, the story really falls apart from there. Changes may have been made in Sleeping Beauty Wakes Up, but this book did not deliver. If the revised version of this book is as decent as the other reviews claim, this draft should have been pulled from sale. Read at your own risk.

2.0 out of 5 stars Skipped many paragraphs, September 10, 2011
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (A Contemporary Romance) (Kindle Edition)
I liked her first book better. This story is interesting and the main caracter is believable, but I found that the story was too full of unnecessary detail which made the reading tedious. You have to read-on through long conversations between the caracters even though you already know where they are going. Many of the conversations between caracters did not ring true or feel right. Much of the storyline is not realistic in any sense (everyone in the story is falling over backwards to do everything for this girl, free of charge and without any regards for their own time. Completely unrealistic).

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor plotting, uninteresting characters, March 4, 2013
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (A Contemporary Romance) (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to like this book. I didn't. I found myself frustrated by the fact that the reviews that summarized the plot were more interesting and better written than this novel. The Kindles and Wine award? Why?!?! The story starts out with Claire having an episode as she gets off the bus, and there is a meet cute with Brendan. Okay so far. Then she meets a new neurologist, and there are many comments about how she's dressed like a little girl, which goes NOWHERE. Then we enter the ridiculous plotting in which no one tells Claire the truth, and everyone hides facts for her for no reason I could find. I was taken in enough by the Alternate Ending to also download that book. Don't bother, as it is no better written and the ending isn't really satisfying

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (A Contemporary Romance) (Kindle Edition)
This was a short fun read. I had no idea this type of problem even existed. The ending was a nice surprise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!, June 10, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (A Contemporary Romance) (Kindle Edition)
This is an interesting take on the old fairy tale Sleeping Beauty. A few twists and turns - and a brush
with the law keeps this story going. Worth a look.

Sleeping Beauty (A Contemporary Romance)
$4.99